EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Mar 2016, 01:54 AM   #1
tosca

Really dislike the new UI and...

This morning, I had the classic interface. This afternoon, gone. I hate this new look which is why I kept the classic which was far more clearer. I LIKE that I can choose how many messages to see....I could delete as many messages at a time I could choose. Now, I click on the upper box and it chooses all 8,000 some odd messages. I know, I should have kept on top...which I do about once a year.

I get a LOT of duplicate messages from various marketers and it was easy in the morning just to click to delete a page at a time.

If I wanted a gmail look, I would have used that for my main mail account. I HATE gmail's confusing threaded conversation look.

I have been a loyal fan of fastmail for ages, but I am really annoyed, yes angry at these 'changes'.

At least give us a choice of threaded or not, continuous messages or page by page as it was in the classic. Better yet, give us back the option for classic. It worked fine on my mobile and tablet as well.

Really, flipping annoying.
tosca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Mar 2016, 02:31 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosca View Post
This morning, I had the classic interface. This afternoon, gone.
Gone? it's still there!
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2016, 03:04 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

To get the classic interface (for day-to-day activities) start at https://classic.fastmail.com

In the current interface (which you will be forced to use at some stage) you can avoid the threaded view you dislike by going to Settings->(MAIL) Preferences and selecting Show every message separately.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2016, 02:58 PM   #4
misc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosca View Post
I could delete as many messages at a time I could choose. Now, I click on the upper box and it chooses all 8,000 some odd messages.
By the way, do you know that in the current interface when you click the checkbox of any message, hold the shift key and click the checkbox of another message, then all mails between the first and the second will get marked? Not exacetly the same, but a simple way to bulk-delete (or move) a whole bunch of messages.
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2016, 03:21 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

This has nothing to do with any particular interface, or Fastmail, or any other email provider. That's a standard Windows trick for selecting a range of objects.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2016, 07:17 PM   #6
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Ah, great. Another one of these threads.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2016, 11:21 PM   #7
tosca

Thank you!

Thanks, Brit Tim...I've got it back now. I really like the colour scheme of the Concise theme. With this new one, it's boring with the wanna-b-gmail look. Colour always helps sort things visually much faster.

misc and janez...yes, I know the trick. Thanks anyway!
tosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2016, 11:24 AM   #8
EricG
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
This has nothing to do with any particular interface, or Fastmail, or any other email provider. That's a standard Windows trick for selecting a range of objects.
I never thought to try that on a web page selection. Does shift with up/down keys and page up/down also work?
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 02:18 AM   #9
ao1
Essential Contributor

I prefer the classic interface too, but recently almost all management functions became unavailable on it.

With the new interface, everything feels dumbed down.
ao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 06:26 AM   #10
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao1 View Post
I prefer the classic interface too, but recently almost all management functions became unavailable on it.

With the new interface, everything feels dumbed down.
The main problem for me is that the management functions of the Classic interface are largely inaccessible.

I've been working with Support to find ways to complete management tasks once available in the Classic interface. So far, they've been able to resolve every issue I've had.

All in all, however, I think the management layout of the new interface is MUCH improved than the old interface. It's taken some getting used to, but it's much more logical now.

There are some key things that are still missing, which I would like to see returned.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 09:53 AM   #11
ao1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
I've been working with Support to find ways to complete management tasks once available in the Classic interface. So far, they've been able to resolve every issue I've had.

All in all, however, I think the management layout of the new interface is MUCH improved than the old interface. It's taken some getting used to, but it's much more logical now.

There are some key things that are still missing, which I would like to see returned.
I can get used to a different layout, but there is missing functionality.

In the folder view:

* The old interface allowed me to select several messages and forward them as attachment, send copies or download them in a zip file.

* The old interface showed me messages that are marked as "IMAP deleted", and allowed me to purge them. In the new interface they are not shown at all. If I deleted a message using an IMAP client from another location, I cannot bring it back using the new interface.

* The old interface showed me the number of total messages (as well as unread) on hover. The new does not.

* The old interface allowed me to have "empty" links on spam, trash and custom folders. The new does not.

* What's the deal with the "personal", "notifications" and "mailing lists" filters? How are messages classified into those categories? Why can't I specify my own filters instead of ones that are useless to me?

In the message view:

* The old interface allowed me to switch between HTML and plain text views, as well as showing the complete header (distinct from the raw view). This is not available in the new UI.

* The old interface allowed me to automatically switch to the next/previous message or next/previous unread message after a command. The new UI does not.

Also, there should be an option th automatically expand the "advanced" options.
ao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2016, 11:31 PM   #12
Random832

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
It's similar, but the "standard windows trick" goes along with list boxes where things get highlighted, not a stack of checkboxes. Doing it with checkboxes isn't uncommon or unique to Fastmail, but it is something that had to be implemented specifically rather than something you get "for free".

(Fastmail also lets you do it with multiple ranges - doing that on listboxes in windows requires ctrl-shift-click and doesn't always work)
Random832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2016, 05:21 PM   #13
Epoch

Yeah they don't care

It's a real shame that they have consistently dumbed down the UI over the years.
Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2016, 09:04 PM   #14
NJSS
Master of the @

I too am struggling with the new interface

Recent changes are forcing me to use the new UI, and I find it illogical to say the least.

In the Classic UI there was a choice at the bottom of the "Compose" screen, inter alia, to:-

Set the priority of the email
Specify the folder into which the sent email would be filed
Request a read receipt
Indicate whether text was to be wrapped or not
Select the signature to be used
- and - More text actions ... insert a note

Where please do I find these on the new UI?

NJSS

Last edited by NJSS : 29 Mar 2016 at 09:35 PM. Reason: To clarify
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2016, 11:02 PM   #15
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
Recent changes are forcing me to use the new UI, and I find it illogical to say the least.
It took me a while, but I like it now....

Quote:
In the Classic UI there was a choice at the bottom of the "Compose" screen, inter alia, to:-
Many of these are no longer on a 'per message basis' but can be set in the preferences screen for email, under the Writing section, select Advanced preferences and you will see them.

Quote:
Set the priority of the email
Request a read receipt
These appear to be gone...
On a personal note (not trying to be a jerk, honestly!) When someone sends me an email with a "read receipt" I always block all read receipts from being sent. I have not encountered anyone requesting a read-receipt in years, though. I equally despise "high priority" messages. That option appears to be gone as well... I *really* abhor high priority and read receipts. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but do you really still use this?

Quote:
Specify the folder into which the sent email would be filed
This can be selected universally on the "Email" "Writing" "Advanced" preferences, or on a personality basis, which is now called "Accounts"

Quote:
Indicate whether text was to be wrapped or not
Again, not trying to be a jerk, but do you send emails without wrapped text? That would really annoy me if I got emails without wrapped text. Honestly, I've never received one without wrapped text. Not trying to be a jerk, but how often have you used this?

Quote:
Select the signature to be used
This is now tied to the personalities. Signatures and personalities (accounts) are now synonymous. You can choose the personality (account) via dropdown on the message. You can also set a default personality (account) on a per folder basis...

Quote:
- and - More text actions ... insert a note
I was looking for this on the Classic interface, is it still there? I could not find it in the classic interface. I remember this feature in Outlook, but I never remember seeing this option in Fastmail, what was it?

/cl

Last edited by ChinaLamb : 29 Mar 2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Clarity
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote