EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 20 Oct 2007, 01:20 AM   #1
michaelj

Outlook & Spamcop

An Outlook Curiosity.

I pull a web-based e mail into Outlook with Freepops. If it's spam and I forward the e mail as an attachment in Outlook to Spamcop the information in the body can't be read (known behavior). If I disect and copy/paste into Spamcop's website everything is read.

If I forward the e mail as an attachment to my Fastmail account, detach the note on Fastmail's website, and forward it to Spamcop nothing can be read and it fails.

If I set a rule in Outlook to forward the e mail from that account to my Fastmail account, and then I detach the note on Fastmail's website and forward to Spamcop everything is read.

What's changing in the headers (and why?) depending on whether or not I forward the e mail or I have Outlook do it for me?

Michael
michaelj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Dec 2007, 05:03 PM   #2
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

What 'note'?

This is a FAQ.
http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/122.html

says:

Outlook does not properly forward mail with the headers and message body intact. It is not possible to use SpamCop's email submission system with Outlook unless you use one of the below add-on programs or similar macro.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 09:16 PM   #3
michaelj

I've read the info in your link and changed the registry settings as described.
The registry setting changes had no effect on either my PC or laptop, so I don't know what's going on there.
What I do know is the steps I take in my original note do work, in spite of everything I've read to the contrary.
Test it out and you'll see.
Send note info to SPAMCOP by copying and pasting from Outlook, and see what it does/where it will send reports. Cancel the request.
Take the same note and follow my steps. In fact, you don't need the Outlook rules to do this, just don't open the e mail. Instead, forward it as an attachment to your fastmail account. Once it arrives, detach the memo and forward it intact to SPAMCOP. See what it does/where it will send reports. You'll see it's identical to the info you saw when you copied and pasted the note directly into the SPAMCOP website.

It does work.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 11:12 AM   #4
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Maybe M$ fixed this ~10 year old bug. What version do you use? O OE OWA? 07, 10 or what?
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2007, 09:30 PM   #5
michaelj

I wouldn't say anything is 'fixed', because if you simply forward the e mail to spamcop from Outlook it fails to read anything in the body of the e mail, it just reads the headers. Somehow it all remains intact if the e mail is forwarded as an attachment to fastmail, then detached, and then forwarding what was attached directly to spamcop.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 02:34 AM   #6
jdtaylor
Master of the @

The problem is just annoying.

I know, I have the same old problen, I just have the same email account set up in Outlook Express and forward the spam emails from that, to me it seems a much simpler option as that way they get forwarded without a problem as just cutting and pasting when you can recieve 5 to 10 spam emails a day, it becomes very frustrating .
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote