EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 16 Apr 2005, 09:39 AM   #16
rabbit

I just got the runbox web page and was able to log-in---the second time only in the last 10 hours. I hope it lasts!
Maybe runbox can sort out the problems on a case-by-case basis; the staff has been responsive when I have e-mailed them. But going through this each time I can't log-in or get my mail can get "old", and to tell you the truth, I don't think I should have to continue to go through this type of grief!
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 03:18 PM   #17
marcus0263
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by rabbit
I just got the runbox web page and was able to log-in---the second time only in the last 10 hours. I hope it lasts!
Maybe runbox can sort out the problems on a case-by-case basis; the staff has been responsive when I have e-mailed them. But going through this each time I can't log-in or get my mail can get "old", and to tell you the truth, I don't think I should have to continue to go through this type of grief!
This is not a free service, you pay for it. I moved on about two months ago, but have kept an eye on the this group. I've been hoping that they could pull it together, but it seems they just can't get it. I've spent a chunk of change but I've finally settled on a primary service. If you use IMAP and care about security check out either Slashmail.org or IMAP4all, I've settled on them. I've got accounts with both Fastmail and Fusemail also. I don't like Fastmail's approach to nickle and dime you. If you use a Web Gui try Fusemail, they've got a decent virtual client. I don't like using a Web Gui so I'm passing on them, they're pretty decent but a bit pricey.

I wish I didin't have to do this, but 6 months is way to long. Again this is a pay service, redundancy and fail over are expected for a service you pay for. You'd expect this from a bunch of High School kids running a Web Site, not a professional service.

End of Rant
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 09:53 PM   #18
rabbit

Thanks marcus0263

Thanks marcus0263, in that you gave me some leads for a different email service. I looked over imap4all and it looks pretty good.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 11:46 PM   #19
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Marc, do you primarily use the web interface like me? I know people using IMAP have had a number of ongoing problems.

Accessing from the web interface seems to be the most stable approach for Runbox. Followed by POP3. With IMAP as the least stable
Indeed, I primarily use the web interface (99% of the time). Because of my job (I work for a lot of different clients, at different locations), I prefer using the webinterface above anything else. It's light, it's fast and in combination with its filtering capabilities, it's just plain awesome. But at the moment I'm testing IMAP through Thunderbird, which also works satisfactory..though not good enough to swith to using IMAP at home: Iīll stick with the webmail interface.
Quote:
There seems to have been a large number of problems related to specific servers or specific accounts that didn't get properly updated when they were moved to a new server. So some may have been experiencing more problems than others because of these issues.
I know, and I think Runbox-staff should communicate more frequently about this problems, as it's a major pain in the b*tt for a lot of people. Perhaps itīs a good idea to open a `stickyī thread which can be used for the collection of current problems? That way itīs easier for Runbox staff to keep tracks of all the problems, and itīs easier for the forum-members to post their problems. Just a thought...

-Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2005, 08:20 AM   #20
marcus0263

Quote:
Originally posted by marc_otten
Indeed, I primarily use the web interface (99% of the time). Because of my job (I work for a lot of different clients, at different locations), I prefer using the webinterface above anything else. It's light, it's fast and in combination with its filtering capabilities, it's just plain awesome. But at the moment I'm testing IMAP through Thunderbird, which also works satisfactory..though not good enough to swith to using IMAP at home: Iīll stick with the webmail interface.
I know, and I think Runbox-staff should communicate more frequently about this problems, as it's a major pain in the b*tt for a lot of people. Perhaps itīs a good idea to open a `stickyī thread which can be used for the collection of current problems? That way itīs easier for Runbox staff to keep tracks of all the problems, and itīs easier for the forum-members to post their problems. Just a thought...

-Marc
Check out Fusemail, they have IMAP through port 80 and It's very handy when you're behind a FW that blocks IMAP. I've been trying them out for a couple of months and actually subscribed for 3 months. The Web GUI does have somewhat of a sexy menu. But it's relatively fast with lots of bells and whistles.

I went with IMAP4all because of the speed and minimulistic web gui when I have to use it. It's fast and I don't like all the virtual desktop stuff that is becoming popular. They're in Alpha phase of file storage which is nice along with calendar features. I'll throw in another plug for them is they have a choice of LDAP for your address book.

Check both of them out, Fusemail is a bit pricy but if you primarly use the Web Client it has lots of bells and whistles and relatively fast. IMAP4all I've settled on, it's more to my taste (I don't virtual desktops). Here is the primary reason I went with IMAP4all (quote from website)

# Redundant & balanced highspeed connections and peerings to the best internet networks in the world
# Fastest, full redundant mailservers on the globe
# Guaranteed full back-up every day
# No limitation in storage, e-mail size and attachments
# Provider independent e-mail address(es) that you can choose
# Use your own domain name for your e-mail address

Key factor being Redundant & balanced, and guaranteed full backup daily!

Be sure to try out their new web client also, it's a bit more refined even though it's still in "beta" phase.

Last edited by marcus0263 : 17 Apr 2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 09:06 AM   #21
Tipperton

What about POP/SMTP alternatives to runbox?

I admit I paid for 3 years in advance but at present it seems like the frequency of outages is on the increase so I too may have to consider moving away from runbox.

They started off pretty good with few problems but in the past couple of months there have been a number of outages.

Although I don't use runbox for anything critical like business e-mail, still it's annoying when you are paying for a service, to have these problems.... it makes you wonder what you are paying for.
Tipperton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2005, 09:38 AM   #22
marcus0263

Quote:
Originally posted by Tipperton
What about POP/SMTP alternatives to runbox?

I admit I paid for 3 years in advance but at present it seems like the frequency of outages is on the increase so I too may have to consider moving away from runbox.

They started off pretty good with few problems but in the past couple of months there have been a number of outages.

Although I don't use runbox for anything critical like business e-mail, still it's annoying when you are paying for a service, to have these problems.... it makes you wonder what you are paying for.
I recommend using IMAP instead of POP, but most of the alternative mail providers offer POP access. Fusemail does have POP access, and they are pretty decent from what I've seen from them the last few months. 0 downtime and they're responsive to their customer base, plus they host their own forum. I've also got an account with Fastmail (which I believe also provides POP), but again I don't like their nickle and dime approach. That and you get almost 0 response from their support staff. I know they are very popular and have a large client base.

I plan on letting all these mail accounts expire except for IMAP4all and slashmail.org I'm very happy with both, plus both of them have excellent support. With slashmail I had an issue not being able to delete a folder. I contacted them via e-mail and withing two hours it was taken care of informing me I found a bug. They gave me 3 free months of service for finding it. Now that is what I call taking care of your customer base!

IMAP4all also provides POP3 Access

Last edited by marcus0263 : 17 Apr 2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 10:20 AM   #23
marcus0263

Quote:
<snip>
Because of my job (I work for a lot of different clients, at different locations), I prefer using the webinterface above anything else. It's light, it's fast and in combination with its filtering capabilities, it's just plain awesome. But at the moment I'm testing IMAP through Thunderbird, which also works satisfactory..though not good enough to swith to using IMAP at home: Iīll stick with the webmail interface.
<snip>
-Marc
Try using Mulberry for your IMAP client, there's nothing out there that compares. Yes there is a learning curve, but trust me it's worth it. I used it for a week and was totally hooked.

As for access at home and at clients, I'm in the same situation. IMAP4all supports IMAP and SMTP on multipule ports including 443 and I connect via SSL behind numerous enviornments with out a problem so far. I'm using both of Mulberry's Winblows and Linux 4.0 beta client and have been very happy with it. Mulberry's support is nothing to brag about, but it's a stable and extremly powerfull mail client.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 12:47 AM   #24
Gnome

Quote:
Strange...for me, everything is working flawless. I cannot figure out why some people always seem to have trouble with Runbox, while others (like me) almost never experience any downtime. I can imagine though that people are getting seriously p*ssed off. I know I would

Is this because user accounts are 'spread' over different servers?
Are you using SSL on the web interface? It's painfully slow for me on multiple computers. I'm trying to remain patient, but am transitioning some of the load onto gmail.

If things clear up, I'll continue with runbox, if not gmail will get the ball.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2005, 04:32 PM   #25
marcus0263

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnome
Are you using SSL on the web interface? It's painfully slow for me on multiple computers. I'm trying to remain patient, but am transitioning some of the load onto gmail.

I honestly cannot figure out why they are having such an issue with SSL. During my exploration of other services I only use SSL connections and have not had an issue. There are other providers like Slashmail that only has SSL connections and do not offer unsecure connections at all.

In todays internet secure communications are a must, not a nice to have. Anyone who does not use or care about secure communications are inviting disaster. It's esentially the same as leaving the front door not only unlocked but open to your home.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 06:20 PM   #26
JeffK

Please refer here for current status update

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=34735
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2005, 09:40 PM   #27
ultra

Quote:
Indeed, I primarily use the web interface (99% of the time). Because of my job (I work for a lot of different clients, at different locations), I prefer using the webinterface above anything else.
I'm using the webmail interface, much of the time, but from home, and with Mozilla at least the user/pass are kept so I don't have to type them again and again (really guys, a couple of hours is far too short a time if you have your PC on a DSL line and never want to be 'logged out' and it's far from impossible to put a longer time setting in - even if it was only 24 hours instead of 24 months I would be happier). Fastmail has no limit, and Gmail has "several days" as a limit, and even Yahoo.co.uk allows 8 hours before needing to login again - fine for a half day's work.

Quote:
That way itīs easier for Runbox staff to keep tracks of all the problems, and itīs easier for the forum-members to post their problems.
Unless I'm mistaken, there's no longer a link to the forum from runbox.com's help page (just that Twiki stuff) so no new users will find their way here anyway.
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2005, 09:47 PM   #28
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnome

In fact, I do. As we speak, Runbox via SSL seems to be as fast as the "normal" Runbox webinterface. Do you still find the secure webinterface to be slow?

-Marc
Old 21 Apr 2005, 09:52 PM   #29
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, there's no longer a link to the forum from runbox.com's help page (just that Twiki stuff) so no new users will find their way here anyway.
Actually, there is a link to the forum in the "Twiki stuff". A quick search for the word "Forum" in the Runbox-Twiki resulted in 2 links, one being this page. I agree with you that it would make more sense to post the link to the forum on the front page.

-Marc

Edit: check this page. . .the link to the forum miraculously returned

Last edited by marc_otten : 21 Apr 2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 10:17 PM   #30
ultra

Quote:
Actually, there is a link to the forum in the "Twiki stuff". A quick search for the word "Forum" in the Runbox-Twiki resulted in 2 links, one being ...
Thanks for finding them... I would (and did) not think of searching for Forum - my other searches recently have found nothing suitable (I was looking for domain handling, server information and a few other things but maybe my requests were illogical as they found nothing appropriate!)

As a suggestion for someone from Runbox, how about adding Runbox Forum betweeen Runbox Wizard and Add ons in the lower left navigation bar so it is always available as a link...

I had perhaps been skimming and not seen mention of the Forum lately, hence my comment earlier... Thanks again Marc for 'opening my eyes'.
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote