EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Aug 2002, 01:18 PM   #1
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Suggestion - Addition of more "Custom" Style Sheet in the Display Styles Option

In the display style options, you have:

Custom Windows: c:\custom.css

I renamed the file "custom.css" and placed it into the c: drive so my custom style sheet would work.

Could you add the following please to the display style options at the very bottom:

Custom Windows: c:\custom2.css
Custom Windows: c:\custom3.css
Custom Windows: c:\custom4.css
Custom Windows: c:\custom5.css

That way, if we have more then 1 custom style sheet, we can just name them "custom2.css", "custom3.css" , "custom4.css" , and "custom5.css"

These will be at the very bottom of the menu anyway.

I think this will be easier for us to keep up to five custom css's in our hard drive.

Is this To-Do-able?
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Aug 2002, 02:38 PM   #2
matthewo

I think perhaps a simpler option would be to provide a text box
for a custom style sheet location.

Thus allowing the user to enter any address, either on their computer
ie: D:\style\mystyle.css,

Or on a remote server ie: http://www.mysite.com/mystyle.css

And perhaps eventually (when shared folders and the like are implemented) a relative address to space on a users FastMail account, ie: /shared/mystyle.css

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed a few times before, but i think it would be a nice feature, and would get around the need to specify exactly how many custom styles to allow.

I'm not sure if letting users enter arbitrary locations for style sheets is a security risk at all, but im sure Jeremy and Rob could sort it out if need be...

Just my thoughts on the matter anyway..

cheers
-- Matt
matthewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2002, 02:42 PM   #3
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

I second that. I would love to use several custom sheets and especially remote ones if possible. It's always great to be able to have your custom sheets wherever you may be and the idea of intergrating that into file storage would be a great way to do it.
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2002, 04:01 PM   #4
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Wink Re-request

This thread gives me the opportunity to remake a request originally made here
If extra custom options are added could we have a <NONE> option please for us Mozilla Maniacs?
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2002, 09:24 PM   #5
chrisdamato

I think it would be great if I could use a style sheet on another website, like my own. The custom style sheet feature is great but it makes me sad when I try to use fastmail from a computer where the sheet is not installed.
chrisdamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2002, 01:03 AM   #6
Gankaku

I think that we're going to have webspace on FM in the future to be able to point to sheets that we can store on our space.

I, however, as a developer, think the capability to switch between several sheets would be useful.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2002, 01:50 AM   #7
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisdamato
it makes me sad when I try to use fastmail from a computer where the sheet is not installed.
This is a problem both both members and for the benefit of Fastmail.fm.

On Sunday, I was at a barbeque at someone's house and checked my fastmail email. I was telling someone how impressive the service was. Because I had

"Custom Windows c:\custom.css

Set as my style sheet, the screen was colorless and did not look professional, much less, impressive to a first-timer.

Many of us work with no style sheet when using a public computer to avoid switching back and forth when wanting to check email quickly.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2002, 02:10 AM   #8
psalzer

There might be other solutions in the future, such as being able to use a stylesheet that's loaded from our own space on Fastmail, but for now, I think you have to think of custom.css as an extra that'll work for you if you're using the right browser and either just one computer or only computers where you can have a local custom.css. It can work to your advantage, too. I stopped using it when I started using Mozilla, but before that I had a home custom.css and a more businesslike work custom.css.

Since I don't use IE all the time any more I'm just enjoying the diverse bunch of styles that there are to choose from among the official choices and change them depending on my mood.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote