EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Mar 2016, 06:03 AM   #61
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Not again.... This morning I looked at my inbox, and it had about 20 messages in it. I had a doc appointment and was gone two hours. Got home, and all the emails were gone. This happened sometime between 2-4 PM CDT. Many of those emails were of the "important" variety. Gone.

The iPhone didn't do it. I've gone almost three weeks without this happening, and now a random attack. The commercial account and the newsletter account were left in tact. Just my personal emails got eaten.

Any suggestions?
Change your password to something you've never used before and don't give that password to any software, just use our app and web interface.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2016, 07:56 AM   #62
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

Thank you, brong. I've already done that, way long ago. I am thinking that I'll need to go through that re-set-the-settings routine, but I don't understand how that will help. The problem turned out to be a setting on my phone, and once I changed that I thought I was home free. Previously, the emails were being deleted on Sunday nights every week, so after I changed the setting to "never," I thought the issue was solved.

Then this. At a weird time on a weird day. And without deleting the other folders. Just my personal correspondence. Very frustrating.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2016, 08:00 AM   #63
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Thank you, brong. I've already done that, way long ago. I am thinking that I'll need to go through that re-set-the-settings routine, but I don't understand how that will help. The problem turned out to be a setting on my phone, and once I changed that I thought I was home free. Previously, the emails were being deleted on Sunday nights every week, so after I changed the setting to "never," I thought the issue was solved.

Then this. At a weird time on a weird day. And without deleting the other folders. Just my personal correspondence. Very frustrating.
Feel free to open a support ticket at:

https://fastmail.com/action/support

And we can track down exactly where the connection came from that did the deletes.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2016, 08:12 AM   #64
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

If you really cannot afford these losses, follow Bron's advice. Do not try to fix the settings. Simply do not let your phone or other devices access your email except using Fastmail's app or the browser interface. Fastmail is just doing what it is told. If an external client says "delete it", that is what Fastmail will do. If the external client cannot access your email, it cannot delete it.

Meanwhile, I think you have already been told how to restore the lost messages. If you need reminding, let us know.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2016, 02:28 PM   #65
noclue

Hi again, BritTim -- Just FYI, the link you posted doesn't work, but I entered the URL manually and opened the third support ticket for this problem. Thank you for your help.
Old 15 Mar 2016, 02:46 PM   #66
noclue

UNBELIEVABLE!

I just saw that I had nine new messages in my inbox. One was from BritTim, so I replied. Then I forwarded one of the emails, went back to my inbox, and now they are all gone. This is crazy. Just had to tell y'all since this happened only a moment ago. It's 1:45AM, CDT.

No rhyme or reason for what it happening. I cannot remember the seven emails that are now somewhere in the ether, so how can I reply? Twenty-seven emails eaten in less than 24 hours.
Old 15 Mar 2016, 02:50 PM   #67
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I've asked this question before, but don't think you ever answered it.

Have you checked the log-in log in your Fastmail account - do all the log-ins belong to you?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2016, 02:58 PM   #68
noclue

Yes. They're all mine. And the new password has been in effect since almost the beginning of this thread. Now the deletions are coming fast and furious!
Old 15 Mar 2016, 03:09 PM   #69
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Did you change the password a few hours ago as Bron recommended? Until you do, external mail clients still have access to your account to delete your messages.

EDIT ... and do not tell your mail clients the new password when they complain they cannot delete your emails any more
Old 15 Mar 2016, 03:40 PM   #70
noclue

One of the very first things I did when this first started happening was to change my password. It's taken me three weeks to memorize it. This is feeling more like a bug or a glitch, but it does cross my mind that people might be messing with me. I wouldn't expect that to happen on a FastMail site, though. I've been with y'all a long time & have never had any security issues. So I'm not thinking that's it...
Old 15 Mar 2016, 06:35 PM   #71
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

The odds are about 100-1 that the issue is caused by an external mail client. If you want to just live with it, that's fine. Bron and I have told you how to eliminate the problem. To make the new password easy to remember, just add a character to the front or back. It does not need to be a totally new one.
Old 16 Mar 2016, 11:38 PM   #72
noface0711

That particular ticket was replied to on 16 February with a list of common reasons are lost and a pointer to backup recovery. There was no further contact for a week, so the ticket was automatically closed.
noface0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2016, 04:40 AM   #73
noclue

I didn't know I had to reply to the ticket. I did one recovery already. I still don't have any notification from Support that they are working on the ticket I just opened, either. Nothing to indicate that the ticket was even received.

I am so far over my head. I can't seem to understand what the heck an email client is. I realize that you guys have explained it to me. And I have looked it up in Wikipedia. One problem is that the definition uses words that I don't understand, either (at least the definition on Wikipedia does). So I cannot go forward, and it feels like people are sick of me and this issue, anyway. I am just not as advanced as the rest of you folks; I can't even seem to handle the ticket process properly.

I am left with the possibility of having to leave FastMail since having emails randomly disappearing is not a situation that I can cope with. It causes all kinds of unforeseen problems for me. (I think it would be a problem for anyone!) I love FM, and will keep trying to learn more about how to handle this, but it's not looking good for me right now. One thing I definitely do not understand is how I could be using FM for the last nine years without this situation ever presenting itself before. It started happening when I got the iPhone, but I fixed that problem. Could it be the big FM overhaul that knocked something loose, so to speak?
Old 17 Mar 2016, 05:07 AM   #74
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

You need someone local that you can trust and is reasonably computer savvy.

Family, friends, someone from the library where you worked - someone you trust.

Someone who could visit you at home or you could go to them.

They could look into your set up and hopefully solve your problem.

I feel this could be the best way forward for you.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2016, 05:15 AM   #75
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Email server = Fastmail (where your email is stored)

Email client = any program on any device you use to read or send email (a device means a computer, tablet, phone or anything else you type on while connected to the Internet)

The Fastmail web client is what you can use to access Fastmail through a browser program by going to fastmail.com. (Let us know if you do not know what a browser is).

The Fastmail app is an email client that you can install on your phone.

To fix your problem:
  • Change your password. I know you did it before, but you then told the misbehaving program the new password which defeats the object. The new password can be nearly the same as the old one provided you change it.
  • Only provide the new password to the Fastmail web client or Fastmail app. If anything else asks for the password, it is a mail client that is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing, and you should stop using it.
  • When a program annoys you by continually asking for the new password, remove Fastmail from its settings.
If you do not completely understand the above, tell us what still confuses you.