EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 27 Jul 2015, 10:27 PM   #1
tackyglitter

Encrypting Emails with these providers

Ok, so I need to set up a brand new email. I just require for it to have the following features:
1) Doesn't need to use JavaScript
2) I can use the GPG Keychain to encrypt messages with
3) I don't want to provide it with my personal details such as a phone number or address, ect.

That's not too much to ask now, is it?

If anyone is familiar with providers that check my boxes, please let me know. I have browsed through several forums but I need this information urgently, so do let me know if you can.

I have the GPG keychain set up on Apple Mail (I'm using MAC OS X 10.10 Yosemite), but I have no idea how to encrypt my emails with other providers, for example in my safemail account.

I appreciate and comment or even speculation.

Many thanks,

Tackyglit
tackyglitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jul 2015, 11:38 PM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Welcome to the forums Tackyglit.

Rather than recommend a provider I will suggest to learn how to use GnuPG

It's a bit of a learning curve but nothing too difficult. When you have the basics you will be in charge of your own ship and will not need to depend on any third party.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2015, 09:18 AM   #3
rockman

Checkout https://whiteout.io/
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2015, 04:22 AM   #4
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
Who are the recipients? You'll want to make it easy for them to read the email too, right?
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2015, 04:02 AM   #5
zimmermanfan
Essential Contributor

@OP

Sounds like you're all set up. You've done everything necessary on your end, no? In principle, your correspondants need to do the same. Of course the problem is that most people are not motivated and competent enough to do this.

One approach is to instruct your low-tech correspondants to open a hushmail.com account. They don't need to know anything. Then you can go to hushtools.com and put your public key on the hushmail.com keyring. You can also take the other persons public key. So all the key management is done by you.

An alternative to hushmail may be digitalenvelopes.email, but it appears to impose some of the key exchange effort on the other person.
zimmermanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2015, 09:55 PM   #6
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
Hushmail doesn't meet their requirements.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 12:10 AM   #7
zimmermanfan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
Hushmail doesn't meet their requirements.
Can you be more specific? HM meets requirements 1-3; is there an implied requirement that I missed?
Old 18 Aug 2015, 12:15 AM   #8
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
Hushmail requires a phone number.

I didn't check for certain on #2 but from my notes ( http://www.emailquestions.com/encryp...ice-providers/ ) I'm thinking that #2 might not be met if the user can't use their own generated keys.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 02:08 AM   #9
zimmermanfan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Hushmail requires a phone number.
I've never had to supply a phone number to open a hushmail account. But it's been a couple years. Is that a new requirement?
Quote:
I didn't check for certain on #2 but from my notes ( http://www.emailquestions.com/encryp...ice-providers/ ) I'm thinking that #2 might not be met if the user can't use their own generated keys.
The OP is poorly written, but certainly we know tackyglitter uses Apple Mail for the MUA and safe-mail for the MTA. So #2 can only be interpretted to mean that the other person (the recipient) is using hushmail, and tackyglitter (the sender) needs to be able to send to that person using the recipients public key which is on tackyglitter's keyring. Hushmail indeed makes public keys available. To send a message to recipient@hushmail.com, tackyglitter would simply run this first:

gpg --keyserver ldap://keys.hush.com --search-keys recipient@hushmail.com

That would get the Hushmail public key on the senders keyring.

If tackyglitter actually meant to get a new provider for themself, then it's possible to create a hushmail account (thus key pair) and export the *pair*, and import it into a keyring. It would work, but wouldn't be a good idea because hm would needlessly have a copy of the private key.

Last edited by zimmermanfan : 20 Aug 2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 02:16 AM   #10
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmermanfan View Post
I've never had to supply a phone number to open a hushmail account. But it's been a couple years. Is that a new requirement?
I'm not sure when it went into effect, but yes hushmail requiring a phone number has been a requirement since at least last June.