EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Dec 2019, 09:47 PM   #16
TenFour
Master of the @

Another way of looking at it is a $5 increase per year is equal to about $0.42 per month or about 1.4 cents per day. Maybe one Starbucks a year. Frankly, I think when choosing among the premier email providers many other factors are more important than small price differences. Don't let a small price increase be your deciding factor.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2019, 10:07 PM   #17
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
$45 represents:
  • a 15% increase over $ 40
  • a 10% reduction from $ 50

...but isn't it still one of the cheapest (paid for) deals around?

When was the last price hike?
Good question. According to the notification email (quoted below), these plans date from 2006 and the last increase was almost 10 years ago.

I see this morning mail storage on my Enhanced has been doubled to 30GB. Other than file storage (remains 5GB), we have feature parity with the current Standard @ $50.

For everything offered by the Fastmail service (the list is considerable, and unmatched elsewhere), $45/yr is not exorbitant.

A reminder that until the Jan 1 increase, you can renew Enhanced for 3 years @ $100 = $33/yr.

Quote:
As one of our long term account holders, we thank you for allowing us to manage your email over the years. You are subscribed to one of our legacy plans. Released in 2006, these plans last had an update to their pricing nearly ten years ago.

We want to make sure all our customers can access our newest features. Your plan is being adjusted to more closely match our current plans. Most notably, your plan name is changing to Standard (Personal Enhanced), and your account storage quota has been doubled to 30 GB.

You will also have access to our new Snooze feature and Calendar Group functionality.

Along with aligning our features, we are also moving towards aligning our pricing. In recognition of your long period of service with us, we are providing a significant discount over the current plan pricing. Your price will be adjusted to $45 USD (plus tax if it's applicable in your region).

You will be charged the new prices for renewals after 1 January 2020.

To see exactly how this affects you, please review our help pages on legacy plans.

Thank you for choosing Fastmail.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2019, 10:31 PM   #18
hbs

Quote:
I moved from the old "Enhanced" one to the new "Standard" one a couple of years ago and can't remember the old pricing.
JamesHenderson, what plan lengths are available in the new "Standard" and what are the prices?

In "Enhanced" the 4 and the 5 year options have been cut recently, so 3 years now is the new maximum (at least in my account as that was my selected plan length).
hbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2019, 10:48 PM   #19
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbs View Post
JamesHenderson, what plan lengths are available in the new "Standard" and what are the prices?
1 month ($6/month). $6

1 year ($5/month). $60

2 years. ($4.50/month). $108

3 years ($4.33/month). $156

...I should have stayed with "Enhanced"
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2019, 01:21 AM   #20
hbs

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
I should have stayed with "Enhanced"
For me "Enhanced" was enough, there was no compelling reason to switch to "Standard". And now, after the adjustment of "Enhanced" even less.

I've just renewed my 3-year "Enhanced" plan which regularly would have been due for renewal in November 2020. I'm really glad this thread came up in time (before Jan 1 2020).
Old 11 Dec 2019, 03:45 AM   #21
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbs View Post
Thanks for the info!

(...)

I've just renewed my 3-year "Enhanced" plan which regularly would have been due for renewal in November 2020. I'm really glad this thread came up in time (before Jan 1 2020).
I am looking for a 3-year payment option, but cannot find.

I have a Family plan (9 accounts) and the options I can see are:

====

Change Plan Length

3 months($28/month) $84

6 months($22.50/month) $135

1 year ($18.75/month) $225

=====

I wish I could enjoy this opportunity...

[ ]s
Dario
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2019, 05:23 PM   #22
hbs

DarioMor, I'm not able to help you, sorry! I never had a family plan so I don't know of any of its past or present price options.
Old 11 Dec 2019, 07:22 PM   #23
17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
Good question. According to the notification email (quoted below), these plans date from 2006 and the last increase was almost 10 years ago.

I see this morning mail storage on my Enhanced has been doubled to 30GB. Other than file storage (remains 5GB), we have feature parity with the current Standard @ $50.

For everything offered by the Fastmail service (the list is considerable, and unmatched elsewhere), $45/yr is not exorbitant.

A reminder that until the Jan 1 increase, you can renew Enhanced for 3 years @ $100 = $33/yr.
I don't think the section I bolded is true. For example, you can't add users.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2019, 05:03 PM   #24
17pm

I think the price increase is greater than I thought. The previous price was VAT included and the new price is VAT excluded. For my personal case, I'll pay 50usd/year (vat incl), which is 10 usd/year more than what I used to pay. wow, bye bye FM.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 05:11 PM   #25
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
I think the price increase is greater than I thought. The previous price was VAT included and the new price is VAT excluded. For my personal case, I'll pay 50usd/year (vat incl), which is 10 usd/year more than what I used to pay. wow, bye bye FM.
$50 (incl. VAT) is probably still a good deal it's just that until now you have had a *very* good deal. I'm not sure you'll find all the same features at a lower price elsewhere.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 07:45 AM   #26
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

For me the $110 USD becomes $158 AUD plus a transfer fee and Fastmail are in Australia so how stupid is that.

Its hard for anyone not living in the US...
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2019, 05:02 PM   #27
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
For me the $110 USD becomes $158 AUD plus a transfer fee and Fastmail are in Australia so how stupid is that.

Its hard for anyone not living in the US...
That's mad and I feel you. I had a similar thing in the UK (where I live) and was buying from a British company and could only do it (online) in dollars.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 11:43 AM   #28
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Sadly I'm winding down my own domain and fastmail, but I enjoyed the first 15 years.....as for the last 2 I have mixed feelings so I have done the unforgivable and started using my gmail account, as my wife said don't keep complaining to me or the forum about it get the hell out of there....
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2019, 06:49 PM   #29
17pm

I am not giving up my domain, but I am giving up fastmail.. The only pro of fastmail, when compared to other email providers, is their second to none webmail. I will just start using thunderbird and another provider.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 08:12 PM   #30
TenFour
Master of the @

You can send email from your own domain using Gmail.
https://support.google.com/domains/a..._topic=6293345
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote