EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:54 AM   #1
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

dmarc=fail with p=none;has-list-id=yes

I have changed the sender and receiver domain names in the following extract from the full header of a message that failed dmarc / alignment. The sender is legitimate and I have an address book entry for *@somedomain.com so I expected this mail to get through.

Is the failure due to has-list-id=yes and is there anything I can do or does the sender need to do something to fix this?

Regards, AB

Authentication-Results: mx4.messagingengine.com;
arc=none (no signatures found);
dkim=fail (bad RSA signature; 1024-bit rsa key sha256) header.d=somedomain.com header.i=hello@somedomain.com header.b=S0TasWhu;
dmarc=fail (p=none;has-list-id=yes) header.from=somedomain.com;
iprev=pass policy.iprev=148.105.13.161 (mail161.sea51.mcsv.net);
spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=bounce-mc.us4_7971961.544013-myname=mydomain.com@mail161.sea51.mcsv.net smtp.helo=mail161.sea51.mcsv.net;
x-aligned-from=fail;
x-ptr=pass x-ptr-helo=mail161.sea51.mcsv.net x-ptr-lookup=mail161.sea51.mcsv.net;
x-return-mx=pass smtp.domain=mail161.sea51.mcsv.net smtp.result=pass smtp_org.domain=mcsv.net smtp_org.result=pass smtp_is_org_domain=no header.domain=somedomain.com header.result=pass header_is_org_domain=yes
aussieboykie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Oct 2017, 09:17 AM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I just did a search and their IP address is black listed by one company.

Have a look here and do a few searches. http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-look...FYGbvAodAxMJEg
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2017, 02:05 PM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Fastmail has recently added many additional headers and I'm not sure how to interpret all of them. I would worry most about the DKIM failure. Was the message forwarded, or sent directly from the originating system to Fastmail?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2017, 02:30 PM   #4
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

The message was sent directly to a list. The sender's credentials are in my address book.

List-Id:
560bd9fceddef9c231fda92aemc list <560bd9fceddef9c231fda92ae.150013.list-id.mcsv.net>
x-spam-known-sender:
no ("Email failed DMARC policy for domain"); in-addressbook
Old 26 Oct 2017, 10:01 PM   #5
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieboykie View Post
The message was sent directly to a list. The sender's credentials are in my address book.

List-Id:
560bd9fceddef9c231fda92aemc list <560bd9fceddef9c231fda92ae.150013.list-id.mcsv.net>
x-spam-known-sender:
no ("Email failed DMARC policy for domain"); in-addressbook
So the path seems to me to be the following:
sender with credentials => mailing list => you at Fastmail

The forwarding by the mailing list would break spf for the original sender, but Fastmail does not even check that. Fastmail would only check spf for the envelope sender, which is the mailing list. This succeeded, but does not align with the original sender (the "From:" field), which the mailing list must have left unchanged. And then the mailing list changed the message slightly so the sender's DKIM signing would fail. Because both spf failed (it wasn't the original sender that verified OK) and DKIM as well, then DMARC failed.

I'm not sure what Fastmail currently does if the original sender has p=reject or p=quarantine. But your question seems to be specifically, why does Fastmail not allow the message given the credentials in your address book. It is because all the checks that the message really came from that sender failed. Note, of course, it did not come from that sender specifically, it came from a mailing list to which the sender had submitted the message, and the mailing list changed the message slightly.

Have I got it right? Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMARC#Mailing_lists
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2017, 10:40 AM   #6
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
..and the mailing list changed the message slightly.
Thanks. Your detailed analysis coincides with my interpretation of what is happening. The email itself is innocuous - a marketing mail shot from a reputable company. There is no obvious change but of course as a recipient I have no way of knowing what changes might have been made.

Regards, AB