EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 12 Jun 2021, 11:28 PM   #1
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Someone else's mail coming to my address

For several years I have held a Gmail account in the format 'forenamesurname@gmail.com' Recently, I have received a few emails in the format 'forename.surname@gmail.com' in confirmation of signing up to various mundane online services. I have not signed up to them.

There don't appear to be any ulterior motives - no dodgy links, requests for money, threats or inducements. They just look like genuine emails coming to a mistaken address and belonging to someone with the same name as me.

Should I be worried? Is there anything I should do about it?
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Jun 2021, 06:55 AM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

If it's not highly unlikely that anyone else would have the same first name and last name as yours' I guess there's nothing to worry about and not much you can do. Of course identity theft happens, but in most cases you need a lot more than just the same name and email address, and someone engaged in identity theft would not alert you by using your email address.
I have some old addresses in gmail and hotmail based on my last name and initial (like my username here) and over time I received quite a lot of mail belonging to to other people that used my addresses to sign up for services. I got lots of bills belonging to other people: cellphone, cable tv, parking. I also received once a detailed psychological evaluation of someone else's child.
I also had two different people sign up to twitter and also to some forums with my email address, and then setup alerts for everything that happens there. In these two cases I tried to stop the alerts by unsubscribing' but the subscriptions were renewed. So eventually I had to request a password reset and take over the account (and remove all other means of accessing the account), and that stopped the nuisance.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2021, 07:25 PM   #3
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Fenman,

People enter incorrect email addresses frequently. I have done it a few times because of spelling correction.

Of the misdirected email I receive, once I managed to get the sender to remove me from the mailing list. Rarely is it necessary to get into the account to close it. I got someone receipts from a ride hailing service about 10 time zones away from me.

Nothing more than a nuisance.
GeraldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2021, 07:35 PM   #4
Fenman

Thanks for the reassurance hadaso and GeraldR.
Old 14 Jun 2021, 03:57 AM   #5
Bamb0
Master of the @

Someone probably has the wrong address....

I did that once by mistake and someone actually replied back and said I had the wrong address.....

I said I was sorry.........
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2021, 04:01 AM   #6
Fenman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Someone probably has the wrong address....

I did that once by mistake and someone actually replied back and said I had the wrong address.....

I said I was sorry.........
Thanks. Yes, a couple of years back I started getting very chatty emails as if it was someone's mother. I wrote back and she thanked me.

You'd think, though, that if someone is signing up for an access key to a paid-for service they'd double check.
Old 14 Jun 2021, 09:53 PM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

You have to be careful though--could be a phishing expedition to see if someone actually has that address and then they try to engage you in some sort of activity that could potentially reveal your password. I received something like that the other day where it was sent to me telling me that my login for a service was expiring and that I needed to update my password, only it was a fake email. It looked pretty legitimate too, but I am pretty paranoid about these things so dug deeper.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2021, 11:43 PM   #8
lpn

Doesn't Gmail ignore dots in the email address prefixes? At least that was the case some time ago.
If so, nobody should have been able to register the address with the dot.
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2021, 06:11 AM   #9
Bamb0
Master of the @

I notice alot now people just arent getting any emails!!

Ya wonder where they are going?? -- It doesnt bounce back as invalid,they just dont get them!!!

Sadly email is going to crap and its sad.....
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2021, 07:18 PM   #10
EndymionZackChr

Exclamation Fenman

dude some emails are fake for they try to make you feel confort with them
a lot times i was recevie mails from a lot similar of mine or other companies (they said i must paid or i was earn money from one family member dead) PLS be CareFul

try to ignore email you didn't know
#STAYSAFE
EndymionZackChr is offline   Reply With Quote