EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 17 May 2021, 11:26 PM   #1
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Alternatives to FastMail and Runbox with custom domains and lots of aliases?

I'm a long-time FastMail and Runbox user (and I intend to stick with them unless something terrible happens to them) but I want to set up a totally unrelated service not connected to my FastMail and Runbox accounts as a sort of backup service on separate servers from FastMail and Runbox. So I need something trustworthy and reliable that lets me set up domains easily, along with lots of aliases.

Also something preferably with a dedicated App on iOS if possible... so that makes this much harder. No app is okay, but not ideal.

I don't want to use Microsoft or Google, don't want a one-man shop, prefer offshore (but US server location is okay for this), no crazy crypto on this is needed (but fine if it has it)... but I still want something trustworthy and solid. So what does that leave me with?

I feel like I should already have an answer to this from some old discussions here, but I can't find my old notes and things have changed a lot since I last looked into services like this.

Any suggestions?
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 May 2021, 12:17 AM   #2
lpn

Hey.com? Not recommending it, just mentioning it as an option.
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 01:20 AM   #3
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpn View Post
Hey.com? Not recommending it, just mentioning it as an option.
Thanks, lpn, but I've tried Hey, and while the theory is good, I've decided to pass on it, based on some issues I had with some of the features (lousy search feature and a few other things), but also considering the chaos that is going on behind the scenes recently. Maybe in a year or two I'll look at them again if they can bounce back. I did like the general idea of it tho.

And technically, I don't believe Hey would qualify for what I'm looking for in this case, since Hey for domains only supports 1 domain AFAIK. But I could be wrong. I need more than one domain. Hey for domains does, however, definitely handle aliases well. But again, I'm not feeling confident in Hey right now due to the recent turmoil there.

Last edited by ioneja : 18 May 2021 at 01:27 AM.
Old 18 May 2021, 03:52 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Polarismail (no app) or Zoho?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 04:01 AM   #5
ioneja

Thanks, I'll have to look at those again. Been a while. I think I had an issue with Zoho's privacy policy, which wasn't good the last time I checked it out, but for this, it might be okay. I wish I could find my notes on Polarismail. I swear I've checked them out before, but it's also been a while so I'll look again.
Old 18 May 2021, 06:07 AM   #6
lpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
Thanks, lpn, but I've tried Hey, and while the theory is good, I've decided to pass on it, based on some issues I had with some of the features (lousy search feature and a few other things), but also considering the chaos that is going on behind the scenes recently. Maybe in a year or two I'll look at them again if they can bounce back. I did like the general idea of it tho.

And technically, I don't believe Hey would qualify for what I'm looking for in this case, since Hey for domains only supports 1 domain AFAIK. But I could be wrong. I need more than one domain. Hey for domains does, however, definitely handle aliases well. But again, I'm not feeling confident in Hey right now due to the recent turmoil there.
Yes, I was not recommending them although they formally may meet your requirements, especially the app one. I always had funny feeling about them, that they are mostly trying to redefine or create a new presumed problem that does not necessarily exist and offer a solution for it.
Old 18 May 2021, 06:47 AM   #7
guest2k

riseup.net
guest2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 07:56 AM   #8
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2k View Post
riseup.net
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never really looked into it in depth before, will go check out the site and reviews.
Old 18 May 2021, 09:44 AM   #9
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
RollerNet, Redpin, Polarismail, Namecheap, Mailbox.org, Tutanota...

There are a lot.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 10:42 AM   #10
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
RollerNet, Redpin, Polarismail, Namecheap, Mailbox.org, Tutanota...

There are a lot.
Thanks, yes, there are a lot. I've lost some of my notes from over the years, but I do actually already use Mailbox.org and Tutanota for business, they are both very good, I didn't mention that in the first post. They are not as good for domain and alias flexibility as FastMail and Runbox, but still good. But I need an additional service away from everything else I already use.

RollerNet! That's one I had forgotten about, thank you! That's one that had a really great control panel if I recall. Very flexible, sort of like Tuffmail, right? Definitely will check that one again.

Will check out Redpin too. Polarismail was in my old notes somewhere, and I just checked it out briefly and it looks promising.

I hadn't considered using a service like Namecheap (they're fine as a registrar), but not as an email provider. Will think about it.

Thanks again.

BTW, I should add that in recent years I've focused on looking into more privacy-oriented email services for my business, so I am very familiar with the usual services like Tutanota, Hushmail, Mailbox.org, ProtonMail, Posteo, StartMail, CTemplar, Mailfence, etc. They all have many positive aspects (and I already use Tutanota and Mailbox.org), but for this specific need, I think I'm looking more at something like Polarismail, Rollernet, Tuffmail, kind of service. Maybe Zoho, but I have to look at their privacy policy again. I might look at Hushmail again too since they do have domain support + lots of aliases, and I don't already have an account with them, so it might cover what I need (even though I don't need the crypto features for this service.)

And like I mentioned, I already use FastMail and Runbox. If there was another service out there very close to FastMail or Runbox, that would be ideal. Those two cover the multi-domains and multi-aliases really well.
Old 18 May 2021, 08:49 PM   #11
trussrod

Purelymail.com my dude
trussrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 09:00 PM   #12
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussrod View Post
Purelymail.com my dude
Will check it out, thanks!
Old 18 May 2021, 09:57 PM   #13
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
don't want a one-man shop,
Unfortunately, Purelymail is a one-man shop. Using it right now and everything works just right for me. Can add lots of domains, aliases, mailboxes, etc. all for only $10 per year. Best bargain email out there, IMHO.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 10:05 PM   #14
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Unfortunately, Purelymail is a one-man shop. Using it right now and everything works just right for me. Can add lots of domains, aliases, mailboxes, etc. all for only $10 per year. Best bargain email out there, IMHO.
Ah, yes, one-man shop is a problem for me, but I am happy to hear you are happy with it. I will make a note for future reference to check it out again and hopefully it will grow and build up a staff, etc... But I've had too many problems with one-man IT shops in the past, even if they are the best people. Not saying anything negative about specifically Purelymail, I just avoid one-man shops now, even if it were my own family, even if they have the best reviews. Thanks for the heads up on this, and I do hope they grow and are successful though.
Old 19 May 2021, 01:51 AM   #15
lpn

Out of curiosity, why the preference for a dedicated app? Is it so that you can reply from aliases?