EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Jul 2016, 05:58 PM   #1
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Adding recovery phone

Hi,

Is anyone else (in the UK) having a problem setting this up? I am not getting the confirmation text and gave tried several times.

...I ask because my mobile reception isn't great but I currently have 1 bar.

J.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jul 2016, 06:01 PM   #2
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Hi,

Is anyone else (in the UK) having a problem setting this up? I am not getting the confirmation text and gave tried several times.

...I ask because my mobile reception isn't great but I currently have 1 bar.

J.
OK, it eventually came through - took more like 5 minutes and only after the 5th attempt
Old 25 Jul 2016, 06:02 PM   #3
g4mby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Sorry James but I've just added two phones which are on different networks. Text message received within five seconds of it being requested.

Edit: Looks like you received your text message while I was posting.
g4mby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

AU is a long way away....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 06:05 PM   #5
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
AU is a long way away....
Ha - you're not kidding - all the other texts have literally just came through in a burst.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 06:12 PM   #6
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4mby View Post
Sorry James but I've just added two phones which are on different networks. Text message received within five seconds of it being requested.

Edit: Looks like you received your text message while I was posting.
thanks!

(...adding more text so my reply is long enough...)
Old 25 Jul 2016, 06:18 PM   #7
misc
Essential Contributor

I've had no problems setting up the recovery phone, it took just a few seconds to get the verification code.

What seems to be unfavorable to me is that the code is written at the beginning of the text message. So on an iPhone for example you can read the code from the preview in the lock screen without having to unlock your phone. I haven't tried this yet, but if the text for resetting your account password looks the same, this would be a security risk, wouldn't it?
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 06:29 PM   #8
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
I've had no problems setting up the recovery phone, it took just a few seconds to get the verification code.

What seems to be unfavorable to me is that the code is written at the beginning of the text message. So on an iPhone for example you can read the code from the preview in the lock screen without having to unlock your phone. I haven't tried this yet, but if the text for resetting your account password looks the same, this would be a security risk, wouldn't it?
...you can switch off the ability to read the text message itself on your iPhone security screen.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 02:52 PM   #9
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:

I would assume that, if you had requested a recovery code via text message, that you would have your 'phone with you and so would be expecting that text message.

I wouldn't consider that a problem, unless you leave your 'phone laying around for all and sundry to pick up and look at.

In that case, you are probably more of a security risk.

If you don't trust the text message option, you could request the code be sent to an e-mail address instead.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2016, 03:23 PM   #10
misc
Essential Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I wouldn't consider that a problem, unless you leave your 'phone laying around for all and sundry to pick up and look at.

In that case, you are probably more of a security risk.
I know that case is very unlikely – i just thought it would be very simple to avoid that ‘leak’ by putting the security code to the end of the text message. And of course that's only for iOS devices, I don't know how Android or other OSses or devices are dealing with text preiviews. So, everything's fine, don't bother.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I don't know how Android or other OSses or devices are dealing with text preiviews.
Android is the same.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 04:00 PM   #12
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

I actually think it's pretty handy to have the code appear near the beginning of the text message and appear on the lock screen.

1) When I'm in a rush logging in to any of my 2FA services/accounts, I don't need to unlock the phone.

2) Rare case: I actually got locked out of my phone once (eventually needed to wipe and reinstall everything) -- and I couldn't access my text messages but needed urgently to login to 1 of my 2FA accounts. That lock screen showing my first several characters of the message -- and the entire 2FA code -- helped me get in (this was a non-FM account).
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2016, 04:21 PM   #13
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
The code appears at the start for two main reasons. One is so that it's quickly visible in a phone UI that only presents the first part of the message, and so the entire message can be pasted into the form - we only take the first six characters.

It's impossible for us to predict if and where an individual display will truncate the message. On my particular flavour of Android phone, I can expand the notification on the lock screen to see the entire message, without unlocking the phone. If it really bothered me, my phone has an option to not show message text on the lock screen. Yours probably does too.

As an attacker, knowing the code doesn't get you anything though. The code itself is tied to the login session that initiated it - it won't elsewhere. It's also only valid for a short amount of time.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2016, 04:52 PM   #14
misc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
As an attacker, knowing the code doesn't get you anything though. The code itself is tied to the login session that initiated it - it won't elsewhere. It's also only valid for a short amount of time.
Thanks Rob, but I wasn't talking about 2FA but about the Account Recovery feature. With the SMS code I could quickly reset the main account password and then delete all app passwords. Or did I get the recovery process wrong?
Old 27 Jul 2016, 05:13 PM   #15
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Edit......

Last edited by Terry : 27 Jul 2016 at 08:59 PM.