EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Feb 2015, 07:46 PM   #121
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Oh, I see what you mean!

It was a problem if you had multiple devices. What would happen is that a notify would come in from the backend. The notifier task would see that you had (say) two devices registered, and would queue two events to be pushed to GCM (Google's notification system).

We'd push the first, then go to the second, and notice that we already sent a notification for that user recently - we don't send more than one notify every ten seconds to avoid holding the device awake. Because we thought we already sent it, we dropped the second notification.

So the solution is to queue by device, not by user. Now we don't send more than one notification per device per ten seconds, rather than one per user per ten seconds.

That's a bit of an awkward explanation - I'm writing in a hurry. I hope that makes sense!
makes perfect sense!

Thanks again for the great start to this app!
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2015, 01:18 AM   #122
JMac
Essential Contributor

Just this morning Fastmail on my Android device added "INBOX." to the beginning of each folder. Is this because of something Fastmail did? I didn't add any updates to Android that would have done it.

Not causing any specific problems; it's just kinda ugly!

Thanks.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2015, 02:56 AM   #123
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don't have an Android device, but that sounds like a problem with the IMAP path prefix. See section #4 at:
How to set up your Android phone

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2015, 04:01 AM   #124
JMac
Essential Contributor

Thanks Bill. I'll look into that. However it just started looking like that today after looking normal ever since I have had this phone, which is a year and a half.

What would cause it to suddenly change today?

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2015, 10:13 AM   #125
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
...What would cause it to suddenly change today...
My guess (and it's only that) is you received a system software update on your device.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2015, 12:29 AM   #126
LouisaB

I am finding the Fastmail app very slow to load.

The K9 app, accessing the same FM account does so in less than a quarter of the time.

I am inclined to give up on the FM app, until it is enhanced, but before doing so is there any news as to when this & other issues raised in this thread will be addressed?

NJSS
LouisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2015, 06:22 PM   #127
alirezanasibi

I'm impressed with this app which is easy to use.
What is a big lack in this app is support for notification for folders other than inbox when you have IMAP account.
I suggested this to android@fastmail.com a few days ago but never got any feedback!
alirezanasibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2015, 06:33 PM   #128
alirezanasibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
4.0.4 is down at the bottom of what we support, so I hope there's not some subtle platform problem.

Just to confirm, you've got this from the Play Store? I'm getting a few reports of "no notifications" from people that are sideloading the app because they don't want to use Google Services. Notifications require Google's push channel at the moment.

If that's all fine, can you please PM me your FastMail username so I can check the push backend and see if anything strange is happening.
"Google push channel" what does it mean? What should I activate in my Android phone? ( Sony Z3 with Android 4.4.4 )
And I wonder if the problem might be Google push notification, why I can get notifications for inbox?!
Old 6 Mar 2015, 06:46 PM   #129
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirezanasibi View Post
"Google push channel" what does it mean? What should I activate in my Android phone? ( Sony Z3 with Android 4.4.4 )
If you got the app from the Play Store, then you don't need to worry about this.

Quote:
And I wonder if the problem might be Google push notification, why I can get notifications for inbox?!
PM me your email addrress, and I'll check our logs.

Last edited by robn : 7 Mar 2015 at 04:53 AM.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2015, 04:53 AM   #130
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, right now you only get notifications for new mail in the inbox.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2015, 09:18 PM   #131
alirezanasibi

Okay. Thanks.
Old 14 Apr 2015, 10:26 AM   #132
DelftRed

Request: Marked as Read Undo

I have a tweak request that I would like to see implemented in the FM mobile app. I use the app mostly for "peek" checking my email, but rarely use it to reply, preferring to wait until I am back at my laptop where I can type quickly. I almost always want to keep the mail marked as unread so I can deal with it properly later. However, once I have peeked at an email, it is a pain to always have to select the message checkbox, go to the Tag -> Unread, and then go back and click on the checkbox *again* to deselect it. Phew! What a palava.

My request is that once I have read an email and returned to my inbox I would like to see the floating undo message appear saying "Marked 1 conversation as read. Undo", (the opposite of what I see when I have manually marked it as unread). Then I can tap the Undo link, and voila, everything is good with a single click. Is that possible?

Also, when is the next update due? I am still waiting patiently for the load speed fix, and the read/unread visibility distinction fix especially. But I really need those fixes. Please!

Thanks very much!
Mike.
DelftRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2015, 03:17 AM   #133
elian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelftRed View Post
I have a tweak request that I would like to see implemented in the FM mobile app. I use the app mostly for "peek" checking my email, but rarely use it to reply, preferring to wait until I am back at my laptop where I can type quickly. I almost always want to keep the mail marked as unread so I can deal with it properly later. However, once I have peeked at an email, it is a pain to always have to select the message checkbox, go to the Tag -> Unread, and then go back and click on the checkbox *again* to deselect it. Phew! What a palava.

My request is that once I have read an email and returned to my inbox I would like to see the floating undo message appear saying "Marked 1 conversation as read. Undo", (the opposite of what I see when I have manually marked it as unread). Then I can tap the Undo link, and voila, everything is good with a single click. Is that possible?

Also, when is the next update due? I am still waiting patiently for the load speed fix, and the read/unread visibility distinction fix especially. But I really need those fixes. Please!

Thanks very much!
Mike.
There is another way to mark a message unread again with only one tap. When you have the message open, tap the grey star next to the date/time (speaking of which, I would appreciate seeing the time for every message, not only for messages received today). The star turns blue and the message is marked as unread again. Then you can return to the folder view like you would normally do.
elian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2015, 09:09 AM   #134
DelftRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by elian View Post
There is another way to mark a message unread again with only one tap. When you have the message open, tap the grey star next to the date/time (speaking of which, I would appreciate seeing the time for every message, not only for messages received today). The star turns blue and the message is marked as unread again. Then you can return to the folder view like you would normally do.
Aaah, awesome! I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, much appreciated!
DelftRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2015, 10:37 AM   #135
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm seeing a really annoying bug on my Moto X (2013): the app will stop responding to finger presses (to pop up or pop down the Archive/Delete/Spam buttons). I don't know what the trigger is, but it always eventually happens and the app must be restarted to get it to work properly.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote