EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Nov 2019, 05:53 AM   #31
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
If you want to know (when reading a message) who mail is really to or from then you can add the extra headers X-Delivered-To and X-Mail-from in the advanced section of the preferences screen (perhaps also Return-Path).
Yes, I also do that, but it's far from ideal.
You can't see who a mail was sent to unless you open it, and in the mobile interface (which I use mostly), it means four extra clicks every time I open an e-mail:
(1) '...',
(2) 'Show details',
(3) '...',
(4) 'Hide details'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
I think the main problem with it is that it's one way.
Yes indeed. An archive or back-up is completely useless if the things archived or backed-up can't be restored when they are needed!
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2019, 06:29 PM   #32
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Yes indeed. An archive or back-up is completely useless if the things archived or backed-up can't be restored when they are needed!
It's not /completely/ useless. You get a zip; if you unpack it, it's full of files, one per email. You can search them (using your OS's file-search facilities) and read them - if necessary - with just a text editor. It's a long way better than not having a copy of the mails at all.

You can also import them to desktop email clients and probably some other providers' online email systems. It's a nuisance that you can't get them into FM again directly, but it doesn't make the archives useless.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2019, 07:41 PM   #33
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
You can also import them to desktop email clients and probably some other providers' online email systems. It's a nuisance that you can't get them into FM again directly, but it doesn't make the archives useless.
IIRC they are eml files, that any mail client can open, so that you can then just configure your FastMail account on your mail client and copy or move the messages to any folder you like. However I don't regularly use an email client so for me this would require that I configure one on some computer. So it's not entirely "one-way", but it's also not "two-way". It's just not a dead end street: you can go back using some other streets through a neighborhood you're perhaps not entirely familiar with. A simple way to upload a file full of messages back would be much more convenient.
If something like this is provided some time in the future (a simple mechanism to upload a single zip file full of eml files, or what ever is in the mail archives downloaded from FastMail) I would be happy that it would also upload files in the mbox format (I have many collections of email from the 1990's that were on various university unix systems I used back then, created by the unix mail command. I think the format is called "mbox"). For almost 20 years I consider uploading them to FastMail so that I have all of the email I ever saved in one easily searchable place that I use every day, but I never did it because it involved more that one step and having to understand in advance and plan the required steps.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2019, 10:40 PM   #34
radtux

Read Receipts.
Dark mode for the Android App (not a web wrapper but a real real app)
radtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2019, 10:18 AM   #35
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtux View Post
Read Receipts.
I hope there is a box to tick so we don't have to use it....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2019, 01:07 PM   #36
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtux View Post
not a web wrapper but a real real app
Out of curiosity... what are you hoping a "real real app" would let you do that can't be done with the web interface or with a "web wrapper"?
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2019, 06:30 PM   #37
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Out of curiosity... what are you hoping a "real real app" would let you do that can't be done with the web interface or with a "web wrapper"?
The only important functionality I am aware of that is much easier with a non browser implementation is offline support. If you really need that today, you must use a mail client like Thunderbird. Personally, I do not see an offline mail client certified by FastMail themselves as that important.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2019, 10:33 AM   #38
Gankaku

Dark mode for the Android app please and thank you!
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2019, 06:57 PM   #39
jpsheridan

I'd like them to hire a support team that actually does it's job. FTP has been erroring for at least 48 hours.
Service status is clearly something that support should be actively monitoring and fixing as required but even after raising a ticket absolutely nothing has happened.
jpsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2019, 09:03 PM   #40
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Did you use this ? https://www.fastmail.com/support/
Old 24 Nov 2019, 08:15 AM   #41
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

A whitelist whose addresses don't appear as potential email addresses when composing ie. it is separated from the address book.

[Edit: added the following]

...and an option to whitelist subdomains without having to list them individually (I have 9 subdomains listed for .gov.uk - I know I have missed some).

Last edited by JamesHenderson : 30 Nov 2019 at 09:21 PM.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2019, 07:05 PM   #42
jpsheridan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
yes, I did, and it's still broken today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
but even after raising a ticket absolutely nothing has happened.
jpsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2019, 07:13 PM   #43
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsheridan View Post
FTP has been erroring for at least 48 hours.
Continuing this topic is really for another thread (my bad), but FTP is working fine for me. FTP is monitored so perhaps the problem is outside of Fastmail?

Last edited by JamesHenderson : 24 Nov 2019 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added FTRP service link
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2019, 05:26 PM   #44
ewal
Master of the @

1. Offline access.
2. Calendar entry of 0 minutes (for reminders).

Do Fastmail actually read these forums these days? Or are we just whistling in the wind?
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2019, 06:41 PM   #45
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewal View Post

Do Fastmail actually read these forums these days? Or are we just whistling in the wind?