EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Mar 2004, 03:24 AM   #46
DBH

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjeev
Thanks Dave, I tried what you said and it changed the settings, but what I had actually meant to change was the text in the view window (when reading an email). The date ("Wed, 10 Mar 2004 1:50 PM"), subject ("safety"), to email address, and from email address are very very small. Even the "show full header" link is small. The text in the email is already easy enough to read, but those others mentioned are not. Thanks.
Oh, ok...then try changing the .DatTd class.

Dave
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2004, 03:29 AM   #47
DBH

Quote:
Originally posted by XB77
Electric Sun is a non-horizonal scrolling style sheet! Hoorah! Good design! For me, the font is perfect; that is, just on the verge (of being too small) which means the style sheet packs in as much as possible. Good! However, there is one area that is a bit too small--the Quick List in Compose. Good job Dave!
Thanks! I'm not a .CSS whiz by any means and I'm still learning what some of the classes are. I think someone mentioned something about the Quick List before - I'll have to check to see if there is a class for that in particular. As to the scrolling, I'll have to compare my sheet with s_j's. I'm sure I missed something! The unfortunate thing is that I'm working with a 15" monitor at home. Thanks for the feedback!

Dave
Old 12 Mar 2004, 01:48 AM   #48
XB77
Essential Contributor

Despite your 15" monitor, you've got Electric Sun right with respect to no horizontal scrolling required. Because you've choosen small fonts, vertical scrolling seems to be minimized on many pages as well, which I like. (And, of course, may be too small for some folks.)

Many style sheets require horizontal scrolling in three places:
(1) In mail folders with subject lines exceeding FM's maximum display. To get the maximum display one must choose Very Large as the screen size in FM Preferences. Unless one has long subject lines in one's mail folder, the folder may not run off the screen to the right.
(2) The Notepad input window runs off the screen to the right in many style sheets.
(3) The vacation message input window also runs off the screen to the right on many style sheets (scroll down in Define Rules).
XB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2004, 02:43 AM   #49
DBH

I just set my monitor preference to 'Very Large' to see the horizontal scrolling, and see that Electric sun, indeed, requires no scrolling. However, I also checked out Sandy Blues in the same setting and find the input window in Notepad runs way off the screen, more so than SlimSand. I'm looking at my 19"monitor at work. I'm kinda stumped...does anyone know what class affects this?

Dave
Old 12 Mar 2004, 02:52 AM   #50
DBH

I got it!! I set the width of the text area to 96%...no more scrolling! Woo Hoo!!

See if this actually worked:
Slim Blue Sand
If it did the trick, then I'll have Kurian add the width % to all my sheets (he'll hate me for that! )

Dave
Old 12 Mar 2004, 04:18 AM   #51
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by DBH
If it did the trick, then I'll have Kurian add the width % to all my sheets (he'll hate me for that! )
Which sheets that are available on FM are yours? I recently changed away from the default style sheet, and I chose my replacement (Concise) with an eye towards reducing scrolling. I'm also running a 15" monitor, at 1024x768 with FM set to Large, so I'd be interested in knowing about other sheets that are tweaked to work well with this setup.
LrdVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2004, 04:28 AM   #52
DBH

This recent change hasn't been added to any of my sheets yet, but here is the link to Lisa's gallery, if you still want to check out my, and everyone elses, stylesheets. Thanks!

Dave
Old 12 Mar 2004, 04:39 AM   #53
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally posted by LrdVader
Which sheets that are available on FM are yours?
From the FAQ:
Quote:
Blue Marble: Light blue shades with a light marble background that's easy on the eyes.
Clouds: Darker blue shades with a cloud background
EmailDiscussions.com: A color scheme taken from our favorite forum! :-)
Ocean: Shades of greenish blue that one would find in an ocean
Rainbow: A color scheme incorporating the primary colors of a rainbow
Tan: Shades of tan
Textures: Marble, stone, and brick images are mixed in this scheme
USA: Red, White, and Blue with the American flag in the background
Deep Sea: Dark "deep sea" background with shades of blue and green.
Slim X: For users who like the Windows XP look.
Slim Sand: Professional looking sheet with a sand color scheme.
Winstream: Dark background with shades of red, yellow, orange and green.
Nightshade: Developed in conjunction with Lisa. Shades of eggplant and dark plum with a gradient header and footer. Gradient buttons work in IE only. In other browsers the buttons will be gray.
Music: Light music manuscript backgroud with musical note header and footer
Misty Rose: Rose colored marble background with shades of rose in the header and footer.
Slim BlueYellow: Similar to the Slimstream sheet with yellow and more blue instead of green.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 05:21 AM   #54
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

Ahh, thank you. You know, I've looked right at that part of the FAQ before, but at the time I was in the process of choosing an email service based on features, so I was paying very little attention to things like style sheets, and it just didn't sink in.

I must say, Winstream has to be the best for reducing scroll (and I did test them all with precisely that in mind). My only complaint is that some of the text becomes darn near unreadable on my notebook screen. If it wasn't for that, I'd be using Winstream. I love the way it allows me to run with the 1280x1024 (Very Large) setting without scrolling, even with my monitor running 1024x768.
LrdVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2004, 05:28 AM   #55
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Re: NEW STYLESHEET & Electric Sun Update

Quote:
Originally posted by s_j
Hey, I've just finished a new stylesheet called "FM Dolphin". It's been tested on Opera 7.23 and Netscape 7.1 but was designed for IE6 so looks best on that. Feel free to try it out and please post any comments and suggestions.
Sorry to have to say this, but this stylesheet (catastrophically) doesn't work if uploaded into the file storage; see this thread.

I suspect the problem might be that the image URLs are absolute rather than relative as they should be, but I can't open the .zip file here so as to look at the .css source, so I may be wrong.

Please fix this, as I've locked myself out of this account by attempting to use this sheet...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2004, 06:27 AM   #56
Ninniku

Had the same problem with the images myself ... any chance of including FM Dolphin among the built-in stylesheets in the "Account Preferences" section?
Ninniku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2004, 07:26 AM   #57
specialK
Essential Contributor

Loving electric Sun.

I may be making some sort of mistake here but on Sanjay's tester > The compose screen, the from address appears to the right of the 'to:' field - this doesn't happen with me???!

(although I like it..)

Can anyone explain?

Edit: Silly me - it's because it must have been designed before the new compose screen was developed - sorry!
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2004, 06:13 AM   #58
theDuke
Essential Contributor

Talking

thanx s_j !

I love the Electric sun stylesheet.
I really didn't think that fastmail could look so pretty!
wow and thanks again!!!
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2004, 06:52 AM   #59
Spin
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by theDuke
thanx s_j !

I love the Electric sun stylesheet.
I really didn't think that fastmail could look so pretty!
wow and thanks again!!!
I really like Electric Sun also. Its one of my favorites.

_________
Spin
Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2004, 01:55 AM   #60
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Please could we have Electric Sun, or FM Dolphin, or both, adopted officially?  As related earlier in this thread (and the other thread to which I linked), I cannot use stylesheets from my file storage if they contain images...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote