EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Feb 2017, 05:35 AM   #226
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
Is there a better no-frills email client I can download my email to? (I haven't used a non-webmail client in awhile.)
You can try this program which is more a tool than a client.
http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/index.php
To go the client route, try FossaMail, a clone of Mozilla's Thunderbird.
http://www.fossamail.org/
There is more links to IMAP backup tools on this search engine results
page. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=imap+backup+tool

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 08:47 AM   #227
Bamb0
Master of the @

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhu
And this is a valid reason for "no comment" from him here? He did after all start the thread.
He just doesnt give a crap and its sad...... I wouldnt be surprised if the next move is them going out of business.......
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 01:51 PM   #228
ppm

Thumbs up Fastmail Lifetime?

2006 quote from Rob Muller on "Fastmail Lifetime":

Quote:
We thought about it and were going to do it, but decided against it. The Internet is a volatile place, so locking yourself into something "forever" is a bit precarious I think for a company's safety...
Source: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=42971

I take this opportunity to congratulate the Fastmail team for the excellent service they provide, regularly improving and updating it since I became a user in 2002. Please keep up the good work for many more years!

Last edited by ppm : 5 Feb 2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 02:28 PM   #229
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
He just doesnt give a crap and its sad...... I wouldnt be surprised if the next move is them going out of business.......
It's probably posts like this that dissuade Bron from contributing more to this thread (and to the forum in general).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppm View Post

Rob's comment was in regard to lifetime enhanced and full accounts. Later in the thread, he did say that they did make a lifetime offer for member accounts.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 03:14 PM   #230
samhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppm View Post

I take this opportunity to congratulate the Fastmail team for the excellent service they provide, regularly improving and updating it since I became a user in 2002. Please keep up the good work for many more years!
A "user from 2002" and yet you missed the fact that they did indeed offer a one-off payment "lifetime" Member account for the next 7 years till 2009?

http://web.archive.org/web/200212151...ricingtbl.html
samhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 04:43 PM   #231
ppm

Thumbs up Easy Peasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
Rob's comment was in regard to lifetime enhanced and full accounts. Later in the thread, he did say that they did make a lifetime offer for member accounts.
I know, but my point was to highlight Rob's clearly stated views on the concept of lifetime offers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhu View Post
A "user from 2002" and yet you missed the fact that they did indeed offer a one-off payment "lifetime" Member account for the next 7 years till 2009?

http://web.archive.org/web/200212151...ricingtbl.html
I know, one of my family members did use the member account before upgrading to enhanced after a while. In addition, full and enhanced accounts had "member-level" account as a "fall back" to them. Having said that, the characteristics of the member account at the time of this pricing table are simply meaningless by today's standards

It is not the first time Fastmail changes its model. I used to have extra storage for a "one time fee" on a per MB basis. That has changed as well. I survived

Anyhow, after having read what I felt were unfairly negative comments in this particular discussion, my main point was - and remains - to give credit to the Fastmail team from the silent majority of satisfied users
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 04:53 PM   #232
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
He just doesnt give a crap
This is so out of line.

I am truly disappointed in the attitudes of some here on the forum.

I've said previously that some of the FastMail contributors to the forum don't have particularly good PR skills, but compared to the vitriol supplied by others, it fades into insignificance.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 05:38 PM   #233
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
This is so out of line.

I am truly disappointed in the attitudes of some here on the forum.

I've said previously that some of the FastMail contributors to the forum don't have particularly good PR skills, but compared to the vitriol supplied by others, it fades into insignificance.
Unfortunately, members of this forum are egregious in their attitude towards Fastmail - I remember reading all sorts of silly stories about FM supposedly selling out to Facebook a few years back, for example.

Fastmail is a business, not a charity. At the end of the day, bills need to be paid, staff need wages. Can they do that on $14 lifetime accounts? I don't think so. Tell me, can you even sign up for these lifetime accounts anymore? I don't think so. They've discontinued the product, but kept it going regardless for existing members, and have even offered to refund any affected users. Fastmail have been more than fair, but its seems to the ones affected, they've taken it very badly. I'll say this again, if your email address really is that important, buy the $30 account, problem solved. Ah, but no, I hear you cry, its the principle of it, and so you end up making yourself look like a plank on public fora like these. In life there are winners and losers. It seems that losing is not an option, which saddens me, but that's progress for you.

I'll say no more.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 05:52 PM   #234
samhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by walesrob View Post

I'll say no more.
Thank you in advance, for saying no more.

Last edited by samhu : 5 Feb 2017 at 08:05 PM.
samhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 07:25 PM   #235
jchevali

Starting to sound like a political discussion now.
jchevali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 07:34 PM   #236
jchevali

The death march.
jchevali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2017, 07:50 PM   #237
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
This is exactly why I bought my own domain names in 2002, when I joined fastmail. I own the domain, so I can move my email hosting anywhere.

I will never lose my email address because the services I buy changed or went out of business. Tomorrow I could flip a switch and host all my email address elsewhere.

Fastmail has provided a superior product, however, and I see no immediate reason to consider changing at the moment.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2017, 01:27 AM   #238
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
This is exactly why I bought my own domain names in 2002, when I joined fastmail. I own the domain, so I can move my email hosting anywhere.

I will never lose my email address because the services I buy changed or went out of business. Tomorrow I could flip a switch and host all my email address elsewhere.

Fastmail has provided a superior product, however, and I see no immediate reason to consider changing at the moment.
This thread is about the discontinuation of the (so called) lifetime Member account. Many of the folk who are losing their accounts will not have the resources to do as you suggest.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2017, 01:46 AM   #239
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
You have no idea how many resources I have. People spend money on things important to them. I assure you most people on this forum have many more resources than I do.

In the course of a year, $40 for email plus $10 for a domain name is $4 per month. I would venture to guess most people here could skip one cup of coffee, per month if they wanted.

/Cl

Last edited by ChinaLamb : 11 Feb 2017 at 12:36 PM.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2017, 02:09 AM   #240
adrian44

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoforum View Post
I got my fastmail Member account in 2002. I have used it as my primary email address ever since, and I have mostly been very happy with the service............
We live in sad times when you have to state the common sense rules of decency and defend them as if you were explaining ground-breaking novelty ideas.

Thanks for digging up the archived pages showing that people were indeed promised a "lifetime" account when they paid. This will probably not change anything, because as pointed out later the TOS had that line about their right to terminate the service any time for any reason or for no reason. Still, your post serves greatly to show the lack of integrity of that company, stabbing people who never abused the service in the back while hiding behind the TOS.

I am quite lucky because I didn't upgraded the FM guest account since I never trusted that company. I certainly got used to the interface and will miss it, but thankfully it has always been a throw away one for "fun" stuff like forum memberships and such while my real paid email was somewhere else. For those less fortunate though who trusted their work and important email accounts to a word from a company that is unworthy of their trust, I hope you can safely migrate your existing mail boxes away, then take a moral stand by refusing their offers to upgrade at a discount. Even if we assume they wouldn't stab you in the back again some other way, it's just not right to reward them for what they did. Consider your $15 money paid for a crappy meal in a low grade restaurant that you walked into my mistake, and move on to something better. Of course if you have any recourse to get your money back (credit card disputes, etc.) please do it on your way out.
adrian44 is offline   Reply With Quote