EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 3 Jun 2004, 11:18 AM   #1
jabuda

whats this error message

Hi

What is this error message (1st time I have received it)

An unknown error has occurred. Account: '****@runbox.com', Server: 'smtp.runbox.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 fifi.runbox.com: Too many concurrent SMTP connections; please try again later.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67
jabuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jun 2004, 11:31 AM   #2
BKB
Cornerstone of the Community

Hm...
I have never seen this before either, but I guess it means, as it says, that:

There are too many concurrent SMTP connections; please try again later.

i.e. there are too many users accessing the SMTP server. You could try changing your Port to either 26 or 587. Do you know how to change this? It's in the accounts section of your email client.

BKB.
BKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2004, 11:32 AM   #3
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Sounds like too many people trying to send email at the same time. The SMTP server can only handle so many connections at one time. The rest have to be refused. You'll just have to try again.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2004, 06:21 PM   #4
trond
Essential Contributor

This is the work of spammers.

For the last couple of days, we've been getting about six times as much mail as normal. From about 10 SMTP-connections per second, to about 60. This seems to be somebody using a massive number of virus-infected computers to send out their spam.

They started about noon local time on Monday, and they're still going strong.
We have blocked about 1000 IPs in our firewall at the moment, and are considering alternatives to find a way to deal with this kind of traffic automatically.

In addition to creating problems to our SMTP server, our webserver became inaccsessible for about 90 minutes tonight, due to full disks. The mailserver logs every rejected mail, which has resulted in about 500MB/hour in logs. on each mailserver. (we're currently rejecting about 1200 mails per second, and the traffic is now less than half of what it was tonight).
trond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2004, 09:04 PM   #5
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Thanks for the update Trond. I noticed the web problems last night and was wondering if it was related some how.

Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote