EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Jun 2008, 01:25 AM   #1
europanorama

Hieroglyphs(chaos)

hallo all- i like fastmail.
i can read the first sentence of a message-of a friend- in the short-version. but when i open i see a chaos.
something must have changed since older mails from the same sender were ok. i have multiple hdds.
europanorama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jun 2008, 09:23 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
...i can read the first sentence of a message-of a friend- in the short-version. but when i open i see a chaos. ...
Welcome to the EMD forums, europanorama!

First, from the Mailbox screen, you need to click on the SUBJECT of a message to read it in the View screen. If you click on the sender you will instead enter the Compose screen (to send a reply to that sender).

When reading one these oddball messages in the View screen, look at the right side of the screen. My guess is that HTML View will be selected. Now try selecting Text View. My guess the body might now look correct. What do you see?

If possible, click VIEW FULL HEADERS on the View screen and post here the full headers of one of these odd emails. The formatting in this forum is best if you use the CODE button to format the headers. And be sure to munge (modify to hide the source, such as xxx@yyy) all email addresses and any other personal or private information.

I think that there might be a MIME or language character set encoding problem.

Quote:
... i have multiple hdds.
What does "hdds" mean? Hard Disk Drives?

I'm travelling the next couple of days, so someone else may complete answering your question.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 30 Jun 2008 at 09:30 AM.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
something must have changed since older mails from the same sender were ok.
Can you read mail from other persons?
Maybe something changed at the sender's site?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 09:15 PM   #4
europanorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Welcome to the EMD forums, europanorama!

First, from the Mailbox screen, you need to click on the SUBJECT of a message to read it in the View screen. If you click on the sender you will instead enter the Compose screen (to send a reply to that sender).

When reading one these oddball messages in the View screen, look at the right side of the screen. My guess is that HTML View will be selected. Now try selecting Text View. My guess the body might now look correct. What do you see?

--------
If possible, click VIEW FULL HEADERS on the View screen and post here the full headers of one of these odd emails. The formatting in this forum is best if you use the CODE button to format the headers. And be sure to munge (modify to hide the source, such as xxx@yyy) all email addresses and any other personal or private information.

I think that there might be a MIME or language character set encoding problem.

What does "hdds" mean? Hard Disk Drives?

I'm travelling the next couple of days, so someone else may complete answering your question.

Bill
------
i had html, now with text i can read.
will check why html is not showing correctly. maybe the answer is below.
short of time. thanks a lot.
europanorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2008, 03:07 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
------
i had html, now with text i can read.
will check why html is not showing correctly. maybe the answer is below.
short of time. thanks a lot.
OK, if as I suspected HTML view fails but text view works, here is something you can do to help determine the cause:
  • In the View screen (on one of the odd messages which look bad in HTML but OK in text), choose Raw View at the right.
  • You should see the message header, followed by two copies of the message body. Many emails are sent with both a text and html version of the body, so that it can be viewed by nearly everyone.
  • At the start of the first message body, look for lines similar to the following:
    Code:
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset = "iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
  • Then later (at the start fo the second message body), look for something similar to the following:
    Code:
    Content-Type: text/html; charset = "iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
  • Are the character sets (probably iso-8859-1) and the Content-Transfer-Encoding the same on both the text and HTML sections?
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote