EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Nov 2012, 09:19 AM   #1
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

New version "view as text"?

I can't seem to find that anywhere?
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Nov 2012, 05:10 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

The best approximation I could find is: More, Show Raw Message.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2012, 10:19 PM   #3
the bishop

Ok, I'm glad at least that it wasn't just me not finding it.

Probably removed it for security or something

Wondering if any Opera rep will reply here about what this was removed.

Not got high hopes.
Old 1 Dec 2012, 10:56 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Somebody enquired some time ago about View as HTML. Answer: disappeared too (at least Opera developers are consistent...)
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2012, 11:00 PM   #5
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Somebody enquired some time ago about View as HTML. Answer: disappeared too (at least Opera developers are consistent...)
I'm telling you, I know that this is a conspiracy. FM was a great independent service, and Opera bought them to make them a perennial "also ran" which falls in line with their browser that hasn't ever been near the top and continues not to be. :/
Old 4 Dec 2012, 01:15 AM   #6
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bishop View Post
I'm telling you, I know that this is a conspiracy. FM was a great independent service, and Opera bought them to make them a perennial "also ran" which falls in line with their browser that hasn't ever been near the top and continues not to be. :/
Sounds about right. Every time I look at a new version of Opera, my response is pretty much the same: "Meh".

Since I spend my days developing for the web, I have a full suite of the major browsers, but I rarely fire up Opera for anything other than an occasional test. If it works in FF, Chrome, and Safari, it generally works in Opera without issue. IE, on the other hand, is still the bane of my existence, although IE10 is leaps & bounds better than any version before it. My internal customer-base, unfortunately, is still primarily on IE7 & 8
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2012, 04:05 AM   #7
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
Sounds about right. Every time I look at a new version of Opera, my response is pretty much the same: "Meh".

Since I spend my days developing for the web, I have a full suite of the major browsers, but I rarely fire up Opera for anything other than an occasional test. If it works in FF, Chrome, and Safari, it generally works in Opera without issue. IE, on the other hand, is still the bane of my existence, although IE10 is leaps & bounds better than any version before it. My internal customer-base, unfortunately, is still primarily on IE7 & 8
You're not in public safety are you
Old 4 Dec 2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Mystakill

Quote:
You're not in public safety are you
No, although I'd venture to say that "public safety" is a wasted effort when you consider the vast number of stupid things people do to themselves on purpose.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2012, 07:31 AM   #9
the bishop

I guess no answer from Opera means I was right again.

I wish I wasn't always right when it came to THIS and how I knew they would make the product on par with their browser.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 07:35 AM   #10
the bishop

I'm curious if the Opera folks read these questions, and then ignore them, or they don't even read them.

Bill what do you think? (also a bump)
Old 2 Jan 2013, 07:57 PM   #11
johanborg
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Opera.com
Quote:
I'm curious if the Opera folks read these questions, and then ignore them, or they don't even read them.
At least you imply we're able to read

We don't have a menu item to select Text only, but we do have a global setting if that is your preferred way to display HTML messages. It is found in Account Preferences, Account Preferences and is controlled by the checkbox labeled "View HTML".
johanborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jan 2013, 11:05 PM   #12
rismi

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanborg View Post

We don't have a menu item to select Text only, but we do have a global setting if that is your preferred way to display HTML messages. It is found in Account Preferences, Account Preferences and is controlled by the checkbox labeled "View HTML".
What if my preference is to view as text except where the email is hard to read as text? (e.g. text in a table, etc)

It should be possible to toggle this on a per-email basis.
rismi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jan 2013, 11:58 PM   #13
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanborg View Post

I'm an idiot, what can I say?

All kidding and ribbing aside, I'll try this. I'm not so against trying a new method to do things Let me try (fingers x'd).

update: Yeah, that doesn't really work like rismi said up above me now that I've tried it. Will keep the old interface, but thanks for the reply! Hopefully it'll be added so that the newest format has at least the same amount of features as the one it wants to replace (sorta like releasing a car in 2004 that has A/C and then a "new" car in 2010 that has no A/C but has a fan, and then another "new" car in 2012 that has no A/C and no fan, just windows

Last edited by the bishop : 3 Jan 2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: was worth a try ...