EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 14 Dec 2004, 08:46 PM   #31
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mammaduck
I made the mistake of placing a "singing reindeer" in the house that starts singing whenever a light goes on or when somebody walks past it..... "Grandma got run over by a reindeer....." Very annoying song when you hear it for the billionth time and can't get it out of your head.
Last year, somebody at work got a "singing tree" that would sing either "Jingle Bell Rock" or "Up on the Housetop" whenever you walked by. I ended up using reverse psychology to get rid of it by deliberately walking by it as often as possible and singing along with it very loudly. They decided to remove it -- although the tunes kind of got stuck in my head from doing that. I asked them why it wasn't put up with all the other decorations this year and based on their reply, it looks like I was successful enough to keep that infernal thing in storage for a few more years to come.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:59 PM   #32
fmnewbee
Master of the @

I have to warn you to not look at MTVEurope then

Some of the modern Dance Music has catchy loops of small tunes going round and round.

Europe has been mesmerized with a "Call on me" being the top of the downloads of MP3 if I remember.

Eric Prydz Call on Me video download .mpeg .mpge

I guess even the bad peopel may have set up such with added malewre on it. So only take it down from a safe server. ?

Trew
fmnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:59 AM   #33
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Re: I have to warn you to not look at MTVEurope then

Quote:
Originally posted by fmnewbee

Europe has been mesmerized with a "Call on me" being the top of the downloads of MP3 if I remember.

And doesn't it just drive you nuts ....I can't believe Steve Winwood let them get away with covering it. If it wasn't for the sexy video I doubt it would have received any interest at all.

_Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 06:49 AM   #34
fmnewbee
Master of the @

I'm not sure of if I've seen it but

I have heard it over the radio many times and he has arranged it to be kind of "Spinning around" to make us hypnotized by it.

But could get stuc kor cought to any tune.

Take a very old Purcell?

Seven tears or Lacrimae? not sure spelling.

Or the even older La Folia melody from Spain that is from 12th century maybe. very contagious that one too.

trew
fmnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2004, 07:41 AM   #35
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

I've had that "Somewhere Beyond the Sea" (or whatever the title is) in my head for about 3 weeks now. And...it...just...won't...go...away
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2004, 08:36 AM   #36
JeffK

My daughter has recently been connecting with Veggie Tales songs even though they are really meant for younger children. Some of them are quite funny like "Dance of the Cucumber" and "His Cheeseburger". I find myself thinking of these songs all the time.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2004, 09:55 AM   #37
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by glebarr
I often get Robin Trower's "bridge of sighs", don't know why, though it could be worse...could have Justin Timberlake, N'sync or (God forbid) Eminem or some other crap going on...
My ultimate cure for this is to listen to the song over and over. You can tell if this works if you can't remember a particular line--that's how my human psyche works. If I've got a bunch of information, and one little tiny peice is missing, I cannot concentrate until that information is found. Hearing the song fills in the hole, and I'm back to my peaceful self.

Another cure is try to concentrate on something else. Like start talking to yourself--eventually that will take over . Just as if you have a headache, the pain in your head will immediately stop when you get punched in the stomach.

Or you could just do the caveman method and bang your head on the desk until you forget the words to the song. Write down any immediate important information though--I've actually forgotten other things doing this!
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2004, 09:57 AM   #38
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by Chipper
Last year, somebody at work got a "singing tree" that would sing either "Jingle Bell Rock" or "Up on the Housetop" whenever you walked by. I ended up using reverse psychology to get rid of it by deliberately walking by it as often as possible and singing along with it very loudly. They decided to remove it -- although the tunes kind of got stuck in my head from doing that. I asked them why it wasn't put up with all the other decorations this year and based on their reply, it looks like I was successful enough to keep that infernal thing in storage for a few more years to come.
On the local public channel they had a dancing santa. It would do the roundabout dance (around the world?) and it looked so funny. Though the students weren't too happy because it played music too--and they'd leave before it finished, and, well---yeah, I don't see dancing santa on there anymore!
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2005, 03:08 AM   #39
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Just come across an old stuck-tune post.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2006, 11:36 PM   #40
Chipper
Master of the @

Re: Stuck-tune syndrome

Quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT.BAK
Ever get a tune running around and around your head, which simply will not go away?

I currently have Black Moon by Emerson, Lake and Palmer, a song which I hadn't even heard of a month ago.

What does anyone do to combat this?  Some people say that using another tune to drive out the first is effective — but then of course one must take care that the second tune doesn't in its turn get stuck.
My latest stuck tune is a take-off of a real song. See this post for additional info.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2006, 02:04 AM   #41
jdtaylor
Master of the @

I have had the same problem, once a tune gets into your ehad you can't seem to get it out, sometimes and this is what I seem to find myself.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2006, 03:59 AM   #42
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I recently watched Groundhog Day with the Directors' Commentary, and at one point Harold Ramis said something about how irritating the Pennsylvania Polka had got by the time they finished shooting the town-square scene!
Old 5 Dec 2006, 01:40 AM   #43
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

It seems that whenever I discover a new and really good tune that I didn't know before, it gets stuck in my head for a while!

It's currently A New State of Mind by Yes.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 07:11 PM   #44
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Police/Sting with "Every Breath you take", I heard Sting get interviewed about the lyrics and since then that text changed it's meaning completely for me but the melody pop up now and then and seems to be stuck forever in my poor brain.

I thought the text was very romantic and kind of cute of nice but the reality behind it was very sinister if that is a proper word to use.

So I had mixed feelings about Sting. Reminded me of when I am too much into wanting control over every aspect of my life.

Am I alone in having heard that background of the song?

If you want to get it stuck you could remind you at amazon
Every Breath ...

its the tenth in the album they want to sell there.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2006, 07:51 PM   #45
The Storm
Essential Contributor

I've got 'I don't feel like dancin' by the Scissor Sisters stuck in my head at the mo!

Coz I don't feel like dancin, no sir no dancin today!

Before that it was Nelly Furtado with 'Maneater', I guess I watch too much Video Hits on the weekend!
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote