EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 14 Nov 2010, 02:14 AM   #31
Vin

Thanks Paul

@pmac
Thank you so much for posting here and cluing us in a little on the mystery. Anything you can do to improve the situation for the former Emailias users is obviously much appreciated. But if it doesn't help, we realize it's not your fault.

I'm sorry Emailias is gone and sorry you're no longer the owner, but I appreciated it while it lasted, and wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors.

It was good to hear from you.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2010, 02:31 AM   #32
Vin

Thanks Spamex

@Spamex
Thank you very much for chiming in here! It's great to know there's someone actively involved in addressing user concerns. Obviously that speaks well of the company. I'm really very sorry you've been having to deal with litigation.

Contact/Add Contact still doesn't function the way Reply Generator did, but I imagine these types of questions would be better addressed in a different thread. Or in a Spamex user forum. I appreciate very much your attempt to educate a new user.

And I'd like to add that I've been using Spamex for almost a week now, adding lots of DEAs and notifying multiple contacts -- with no glitches, nor bugs encountered. So I have no complaints on its reliability so far.

Thank you again for your contribution to this thread.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2010, 07:56 AM   #33
Gio

Thanks Paul for all you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
I just forwarded the link for this discussion thread to the current owners.

Good luck!

--Paul.
Thanks Paul.
It's a shame your service got trashed this badly. When you were still in, nothing awkward happened, but now... I know you would do everything you could if your hands weren't tied.
I'll never forget the quick responses to my mails and the extra service you provided when I asked for a different payment method. You even granted me a free subscription. That was awesome!

As a small gesture back, I want to inform you that you might want to inform the Better Business Bureau (BBB) of the current state, in which you are no longer owner of emailias.
See this link: http://bit.ly/9oVzyy

I also noticed that About.com still puts emailias.com on place #1 in their list of Top 7 Disposable Email Address Services. And on september, just recently that is, a reviewer gave the service 5 stars. See: http://bit.ly/1N4xyx

As things go with such sites, updates are likely to never happen. So if anyone feels annoyed enough to deliver some feisty counterweight, please do so. We should warn other users for getting into same trouble, just by believing Google results...

Anyway, I hope to find a new similar service and reading the last posts, Spamex makes a good chance. But this time, I will proceed with some more care... and no more will I rely on online spreadsheets alone! Backup backup backup.

Again, thanks Paul for the great service it once was
Thank you all posters for bringing this mystery to an end and providing useful alternatives!

Cheers,
Gio

Last edited by Gio : 14 Nov 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2010, 04:46 PM   #34
Davidsmith

I think I;m going to sign up to spamex, seems fine so far.

If the spamex rep reads this, for goodness sake update your news page so that visitors can see the site is active (or get rid of it). Looking back now, the emailias site hardly had any updates, which was probably a sign of its imminent demise.
Davidsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:21 AM   #35
John Gray

I'd be very grateful if Empath, who appears to be the only person to have received prior warning of the closing of the Emailias service, could post the email or emails which was/were received, suitably anonymised, together with the dates of receipt.

I am currently attempting to claim back from my credit card provider the money to renew my annual membership which I paid six days before the service closed.

At an average loss of $10 to each (annual) subscriber, the current owners of Emailias must have made $lots...
John Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2010, 07:03 PM   #36
Empath

First Message

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:41:20 -0700
To: noc@corp.emailias.com
Subject: Emailias Service Discontinuation Notice

Dear Emailias Customers,

We regret to inform you that, effective November 5^th 2010, all Emailias
services will be discontinued. Please make arrangements to discontinue
your use of these services prior to this date. You may reach us at
noc@corp.emailias.com <mailto:noc@corp.emailias.com> if you have any
questions.

Regards,

Emailias NOC Team

Second Message

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:18:11 -0700
Subject: Emailias Service Discontinuation Notice

Dear Emailias Customers,

questions.

Regards,

Emailias NOC Team

Third Message (received the same day as the second

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:21:12 -0700
Subject: Emailias Discontinuation Notice

Dear Emailias Customers,

questions.

Regards,

Emailias NOC Team
Empath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2010, 01:59 AM   #37
pmac

Contact info...

Hi all:

Vin posted a couple of links for information about me. The "Spoke" URL seems to be some automated mash-up of info, but isn't quite me. It has some info about me, but some other info that isn't me (perhaps some other person by the same name).

The LinkedIn URL is correct, and a couple of people have joined my network to ask other questions or keepin touch. Feel free to contact me there or to keep up with what I'm doing (currently doing independent consulting):

http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulmacintosh

Best regards,
--Paul.
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2010, 03:05 AM   #38
John Gray

Thanks, Empath, for those posts. Did you take up their offer of 'asking them any questions'?
John Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2010, 07:36 AM   #39
emailiasuser

Emailias message was in SPAM folder

I found this message dated Oct 29, 2010 in my SPAM folder. Don't know if that helps those of you trying to recover data.

"Dear Emailias Customers,
We regret to inform you that, effective November 5th 2010, all Emailias services will be discontinued. Please make arrangements to discontinue your use of these services prior to this date. You may reach us at noc@corp.emailias.com if you have any questions.
Regards,
Emailias NOC Team"
emailiasuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2010, 12:07 PM   #40
aleinss

I would recommend registering your own domain name ($9/year), then go with Tuffmail which offers unlimited aliases on your own domain. If they go down, you simply switch the MX records to the new provider.

That's what I did when mailblocks.com was sold to AOL.
aleinss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2010, 05:10 AM   #41
jdtaylor
Master of the @

I agree, that's the best option I see.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2010, 03:24 AM   #42
ScottS

Frustration

I am really frustrated trying to find an alternative for emailias. Given their rude departure, I agree it make sense to get my own domain, but finding a service that easily creates alias addresses has been unreasonably difficult. Spamex works a lot like emailias, but I can't get a hold of anyone to configure it to use my own domain. E4ward works with a custom domain but is harder to use and I can't get a hold of anyone to troubleshoot delivery problems. I reviewed the Tuffmail site, but couldn't figure out how to create aliases mailboxes and/or how to reply through an alias once a message is forwarded to my real address. I every one of these services, I can't seem to get a human being to call or e-mail me to discuss problems.

Support is essential, and anyone trying to compete in this space needs to understand that. Paul MacIntosh totally understood that concept and provided excellent support while he was running emailias. Thanks Paul.
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2010, 06:58 AM   #43
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
.....I reviewed the Tuffmail site, but couldn't figure out how to create aliases mailboxes and/or how to reply through an alias once a message is forwarded to my real address......
Don't know if it helps you, but here's a screenshot how to create an address in the Account Manager.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2010, 10:36 AM   #44
aleinss

Tuffmail can be a bit geeky: you can try Fastfail.fm as well. I believe they will only do up to 33 aliases on the Enhanced plan.
aleinss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2010, 10:50 AM   #45
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleinss View Post
Tuffmail can be a bit geeky: you can try Fastfail.fm as well. I believe they will only do up to 33 aliases on the Enhanced plan.
I might be misunderstanding what you are saying but if it's what I think then the Enhanced plan will allow 500 Aliases from what it looks like in their pricing table.

Quote:
Use your own domains
50 domains
500 domain aliases
FastMail service plans

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote