EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Apr 2016, 02:16 AM   #1
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Apple's mail.app

Hi,

Has any other Mac user with mail.app noticed it screwing up the headers in emails? I keep getting the wrong sender info displayed at the rate of abut 1/week - just enough for me to not realise at first. It's driving me crazy.

J.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Apr 2016, 02:56 PM   #2
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Has any other Mac user with mail.app noticed it screwing up the headers in emails? I keep getting the wrong sender info displayed at the rate of abut 1/week - just enough for me to not realise at first. It's driving me crazy.
No problems here (OS X 10.11.4).
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2016, 09:58 PM   #3
JamesHenderson

thanks, It had been working for me well for years.

I found this which helped by reinitialize mail and configuration settings.. Note however, that it will delete all mail and configurations from Apple Mail. System files will remain intact but all mail-related data will be destroyed.
Quit Apple Mail
  1. Navigate to the following directory and delete the entire folder: ~/Library/Mail
  2. Empty the trash and launch Apple Mail to reconfigure the client with new mail accounts and settings
Old 25 Apr 2016, 05:14 AM   #4
gj15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Quit Apple Mail
  1. Navigate to the following directory and delete the entire folder: ...
That’s quite a devastating step to take ahead of other attempts to remedy the problem, particularly if only one account is suffering amongst others you may have. I feel the warning part way through the linked item should be repeated here for anyone tempted to try what’s written without following the link:

This will delete all mail and configurations from Apple Mail. System files will remain intact but all mail-related data will be destroyed.

“All mail-related data” includes anything only stored locally which would typically be mail from POP accounts.

Ahead of this I might have tried Mail > Mailbox > Rebuild on the affected account which doesn't lose any POP mail.
gj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2016, 05:17 AM   #5
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj15 View Post
That’s quite a devastating step...
...not really. I have no other accounts and Fastmail is IMAP so everything came back very quickly with no configuration required.

J.
Old 18 May 2016, 08:13 PM   #6
JamesHenderson

..however 1 month on and the problems have come back - wrong headers, wring headers and content.

Each time, webmail shows the correct emails are there, but on mail.app they are corrupted.