EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Jan 2008, 08:58 PM   #1
mikeyb

Question Not receiving emails

Hi,

For at least 24 hours now I have not been receiving emails on my fastmail.co.uk email address.

I know I have been sent emails yesterday, and even sent myself a test from hotmail, but none of them have been received, and no bounce messages as of yet.

Thanks,
Mike
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Jan 2008, 09:25 PM   #2
fmfan
Master of the @

FastTest & then Support?

Hello Mike,

You might want to run FastTest as per 'Troubleshooting #5.' here in the 'FastMail.FM FAQ - Common Trouble-shooting questions #5': ' download FastTest now '

and then copy, paste the results into the 'FastTest output:' section of the 'Support Form' here: https://www.fastmail.fm/mail/?MLS=SU...DoSubmit*Other

Obviously you would want to put an alternate email address other than the one at which you are currently not receiving email in the 'Support Form'.

Running FastTest, copying and pasting the results into the 'Support Form' will help Support a lot in seeing what might be going on. Especially if it's some sort of connection, or network issue.

If you don't have an alternate email address, you can paste the FastTest output results here. I understand the output has to be posted in 2 separate posts --- too long to all fit in one post such as this.

--- Bill

Last edited by fmfan : 11 Jan 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added link for 'Common Trouble-shooting questions'
fmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 10:16 PM   #3
ewal
Master of the @

Hi mikeyb

What Fastmail account level are you on?

Have you used up either you Mailbox Quota or your Bandwidth Quota?

Are you accessing your Fastmail account via an email client (e.g. Outlook Express) or via the web interface? If via an email client, try via the web interface, perhaps your settings in your email client are no longer valid.

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 10:50 PM   #4
mikeyb

Hi, Thanks for your replies.

Sorry probably should have given more info to start with!

I'm on the guest level account, and am accessing using the web interface.

Current mailbox quota is 3.2M/10.0M
Current bandwidth quota is 79k/40.0M

I sent another email from hotmail when I posted above, and this has not arrived.

Oddly enough I just sent an email from hotmail to my other fastmail.co.uk account and it arrived straght away.

Would the FastTest help as I'm using the web interface, I have no problems connecting and login on to Fastmail
Old 11 Jan 2008, 11:14 PM   #5
mikeyb

Just sent another test from hotmail and it has arrived, my two from earlier have not.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 11:15 PM   #6
ewal
Master of the @

Hi again mikeyb

Try using the 'account problems' link on the Fastmail front page. This will determine if there are any problems on your account and fix same.

You say your 'other fastmail.co.uk' account. Is this also a guest account? Maybe Fastmail has blocked one of your accounts as no person ought to have more than one guest account at any one time. Just guessing here, try the account problems link first, that may help.

The Fasttest will simply give a detailed analysis of all your connections which may help in determining your problem. It will itself not actually solve any problems.

Ed
Old 11 Jan 2008, 11:34 PM   #7
mikeyb

Hi, yes, both of my accounts are guest accounts, had them for a long time.

But as fastmail is so good, I was concidering upgrading my main account, but this is the one having troubles!

I've just done another test and it was received by both accounts immediately, so I guess it was a temporary glitch, hopefully the other emails will be received soon.

Went to the accounts problem link, nothing stands out as wrong, but not disabled.
Checking if account is pending
Account is not pending
Checking account disabled status
Account is NOT disabled.
Checking quota file
Quota file exists and is valid
Old 12 Jan 2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Email to hotmail.com, msn.com and live.com delayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
Just sent another test from hotmail and it has arrived, my two from earlier have not.
Was this the problem?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 05:50 AM   #9
mikeyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Was this the problem?
Hi,

Not quite the problem I'm having. That is about sending to hotmail from fastmal, I was sending from hotmail to fastmail just as a test.

Something still not quite right.
Done a test from my website hosted email account, it has not been received by the "broken" account, but was received by my other account within seconds.

There is nothing in the "Junk Mail" folder so it's not ending up there
Old 12 Jan 2008, 06:02 AM   #10
ewal
Master of the @

Perhaps you have a discard rule in place?

Ed
Old 12 Jan 2008, 06:16 AM   #11
mikeyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewal View Post
Perhaps you have a discard rule in place?

Ed
Only rules I have are "File into folders" rules, none in the "Reject" section.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 09:44 PM   #12
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I would start by removing all of your rules, Mike. To be sure that they are all gone, click the View filter source... link at the very bottom of the Options>Define Rules screen and looking at the Sieve script. For a Guest account with no defined rules, the Sieve script should be:
Code:
require ["fileinto", "reject", "vacation", "regex", "relational", "comparator-i;ascii-numeric"];

keep;
If you see any more than this, you must still have some rule defined.

Then try sending yourself short test messages. I would use these suggestions for a proper test message:
  • Include a subject (even just one word)
  • Include a message body (even just one word)
  • Send TO the account being tested (not CC or BCC)
  • Use a text message (not HTML), if possible
  • Do not add any attachments
You mentioned two Fastmail Guest accounts, a Hotmail account, and a website-hosted account. If these are all of the accounts you can directly access, then you have three test accounts available to send to the troubled Fastmail account. I would start by sending a test message from each test account to the troubled account. Also send a test message to yourself (from the troubled account to itself). All of these should arrive at the troubled Fastmail account within a few seconds, unless the sending account is very slow. I just tried some Hotmail tests, and the messages arrived at my Fastmail accounts within about 4 seconds.

The reason to try test messages from various sources is to attempt to resolve transport problems (transfer of the test message through the Internet) from account problems (rules or other problems with your account). If you are not getting any rejection or warning SMTP messages in the test account inboxes after a while, then the test messages are probably filed incorrectly in your account. That is why I suggest that you remove all rules before testing.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 04:15 AM   #13
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
Hi, yes, both of my accounts are guest accounts, had them for a long time.

But as fastmail is so good, I was concidering upgrading my main account, but this is the one having troubles!
After you're done testing I would highly suggest you either upgrade (if you're still thinking of doing that) one of your Guest accounts or if not upgrading then deleting one of them. As the TOS say you may only have one then FM may remove one of them at any time. Many have posted about that happening to them and it was, many times, the one they used most often. I wouldn't want that to happen to you.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 05:16 AM   #14
mikeyb

Exclamation

@Bill,

Without changing any settings I sent a test email from Hotmail, Yahoo mail, and my website-hosted email accounts to both my Fastmail accounts.
The Hotmail & Yahoo emails were received by both Fastmail accounts straight away.
But the one from my hosted email was only received by my second Fastmail account.

I then went in and deleted all the rules, then looked at the Sieve script, this is what I have:
Code:
require ["envelope", "imapflags", "fileinto", "reject", "notify", "vacation", "regex", "relational", "comparator-i;ascii-numeric", "body", "copy"];

if header :contains ["x-resolved-to"] "+personalitysentitem-1424021@" {

setflag "\\Seen";

fileinto "INBOX.Sent Items";

stop;

}
I then sent more test emails from my other accounts.
Again the Hotmail & Yahoo emails arrived, but the one from my hosted account has only arrived at my second Fastmail account.
None of the test emails I sent yesterday have not arrived either.

At least some emails are now getting through.

@Sherry,
Sorry about having two guest accounts.
I will upgrade the main one, and possibly delete my second one, don't really need it now anyway.

Thanks for all your help,
Mike
Old 13 Jan 2008, 05:57 AM   #15
Bahb
Essential Contributor

Mail that should have arrived at my account yesterday around 4:30 p.m. (PST) still hasn't arrived, and I've done the testing mentioned here to no avail, so maybe there was a temporary glitch. My experience with those has been that glitch mail that's lost is lost forever. Which is why I always have redundancy using other mail clients and other ISPs. Someone on this Forum suggested that a couple of years ago when there was a long-term outage at Fastmail and I've been grateful for that tip ever since. (It's not that Fastmail is unreliable. It's that glitches happen!)

Thanks,
Bahb
Bahb is offline   Reply With Quote