EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Dec 2016, 06:01 AM   #1
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Unable to send draft email via web UI

I keep getting an error when I click send.
Have tried reloading the page. Using Firefox (50.0.2)/Mac.
Anyone else seen this? Error is:
Quote:
Send failed!
No From address specified
Continue Editing
There IS a From address specified - it's in the form
Firstname Lastname <valid email address -- at a custom domain>, and is a wildcard address.

Last edited by elvey : 11 Dec 2016 at 06:08 AM.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Dec 2016, 07:43 AM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

You can do this by selecting 'edit as new', I think.

- bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2016, 09:34 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Composing with wildcard From identity

Bruce: Edit as new can only be used when reading a message (either a received message or a sent message). When you have a draft message (in the Drafts folder), opening the message directly takes you to the Compose screen, so there is no ability (and no need) to use the Edit as new feature.

I doubt that your problem has anything to do with the message being sent as a draft from the Drafts folder rather than directly by sending directly from the Compose screen. The error message indicates that the From address is malformed or missing. You say that it's a wildcard address, but didn't specify whether you meant a wildcard identity (a FastMail user interface feature) or that the actual email address in the From field contained a wildcard * character.

When you select a wildcard identity From address (containing a * to the left of the @ symbol) in the Compose screen, the web interface creates a From field you can manually edit. The * is replaced with the default username (part left of the @ in your default email address), I believe. In any case, the system expects that you will manually edit the From address so it is proper.

My guess is that the wildcard identity you created is not of the form *@example.com (asterisk wildcard in the user portion of the address and a proper full domain name in the domain portion of the address. It's also possible that you are editing the From address on the Compose screen so that the address isn't proper. The system catches some errors but misses others. So please look at the From address immediately before sending and see if it's proper. The From address in the Compose screen should appear similar to one of the following:
  • Text Name <user@example.com>
  • user@example.com
There are limitations on the characters allowed in the email address.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2016, 10:29 AM   #4
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

My first response was just a blind shot in the dark. I'm certainly glad that you have jumped in Bill.

- bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2016, 05:17 AM   #5
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Right, the issue occurs on the Compose screen. Just happened again, but the error has changed.
I hit reply and now the error is:
Quote:
Send failed!
You are not permitted to send email
Continue Editing
There IS a From address specified - it's in the form
Firstname Lastname <valid email address -- at a custom domain>, and is a wildcard address.

More detail: I haven't modified the wildcard From address. It was pre-filled when I hit reply. It's the address that the message I'm replying to was sent to. One I've used many times before without issue.

I've no idea why I wouldn't be permitted to send email in general. I think my account is up for renewal. Will look to see if that's the issue. Ah, that's the issue. My payment form on file didn't work.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 07:32 AM   #6
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

So the new error is explained, but not the original one. Confirmed I didn't modify the from address; it was valid and had been used before.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 09:52 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You say that the From address is valid, but that it is a wildcard address. Do you really mean that the From address is of the following form?
Code:
*@domain.com
The From address which is by default used in a reply is set based on several factors:
  • Settings>Mail>Preferences>Writing>When replying: Either of these:
    • Reply from the same account the message was sent to
    • Always reply from my default account
  • Settings>Mail>Identities & Fetch>Compose new messages from .... by default (at bottom of the Send Mail As list of identities).
  • Settings>Mail>Folders>Show advanced preferences>Default identity: This overrides the system default identity previously described if you are reading messages in this folder.
  • A matching Identity entry in Settings>Identities & Fetch
If you choose Compose or Forward when in a certain folder, the From address is automatically set to the default address (see above) or the folder default identity (if it is set).

If you choose Reply, Reply to Sender, or Reply to All, the From address is set in a more complex fashion.
  • If you have the account set to Always reply from the default account, the From address will be set to the default From address (or the folder default if set).
  • If you have the account set to Reply from the same account the message was sent to, the system looks for an identity which matches as closely as possible the original address used when delivering to your account. If you use your own domain, you can use a wildcard *@example.com identity. If you have more than one identity with the same address, either one might be used.
If the From address is manually or automatically set to a wildcard address (which starts with *@), the system will attempt to replace the wildcard * with a reasonable local part, such as the local part from the original address used when the message was received at your account. In some cases I think the system gets confused, and the From address may not be a valid address. So if you have trouble, carefully check the actual From address adjacent to the From field (not the selector tool at the top below your name).

I only described the complex manner that the From address is set because the process can get a bit complex and might not work as you intended if there is not one specific identity matching the original target address used to deliver the message to your account. I believe that subdomain addresses can cause difficulties. I know you think that the From address was correct in the original situation, but I can't create such an error message using a valid From address. So unless you can give us some specific examples which fail you will have to take a screen capture and file a Fastmail support request.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2017, 03:06 PM   #8
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Still running into this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
You say that the From address is valid, but that it is a wildcard address. Do you really mean that the From address is of the following form?
Code:
*@domain.com
... So if you have trouble, carefully check the actual From address adjacent to the From field (not the selector tool at the top below your name).

... I believe that subdomain addresses can cause difficulties. I know you think that the From address was correct in the original situation, but I can't create such an error message using a valid From address. So unless you can give us some specific examples which fail you will have to take a screen capture and file a Fastmail support request.

Bill
Thanks for asking for clarification.

When I said it's a wildcard address, I meant that the selector tool at the top below my name is set to a wildcard address.

The actual From address adjacent to the From field is a valid email address, as I've tried to make clear. It's of the form [disposablepart]@[alias].sent.com . I've posted how many times here...? I know what a valid email address is. :-)

(I could put up a screen shot, but ... privacy, and if I blur the address - clarity is not achieved. Don't mind PMing you a screen shot if you want. Just took one.)

I think I need to come up with and provide exact steps to reproduce this, and/or submit a support request.

AHA: What may well be key is that I'm hitting [Reply to all] while viewing a message in my Sent folder (which itself was sent from [disposablepart]@[alias].sent.com ). And that the From address is a subdomain address, which you mention can be problematic.

AHA:What IS key is that the draft be saved, the screen closed (by visiting another folder), and the draft reopened from the Drafts folder! (Based on the testing I just did.) . Yup. Confirmed: reproducible. I have two messages in my drafts folder that cannot be sent - I get the error message above in my OP. I have two messages in my sent folder that I was able to send that are virtually identical to the two that cannot be sent. The difference that, it seems, makes them unsendable is that they were saved, the tab closed, and the draft reopened.

Seems it requires both things: 1)hitting [Reply to all] while viewing a message in my Sent folder (which itself was sent from [disposablepart]@[alias].sent.com ). 2)and that the draft be saved and reopened from the Drafts folder.

Last edited by elvey : 1 Feb 2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: appending more testing results
Old 1 Feb 2017, 05:00 PM   #9
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

perhaps one of your reply addresses is not a valid email address.

do you have an alias set up for the address you are using.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2017, 06:12 PM   #10
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

I think you're failing to appreciate that I had composed two messages that appeared to be identical in every way, yet one would send and the other wouldn't. There was some invisible content that made them different. In other words, what I said:
Quote:
I have two messages in my sent folder that I was able to send that are virtually identical to the two that cannot be sent. The difference that, it seems, makes them unsendable is that they were saved, the tab closed, and the draft reopened.
UPDATE:
Is anyone from fastmail looking into this? One of the two messages suddenly stopped generating the error when I hit send and went out. I'd changed no part of the message.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 10:19 PM   #11
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvey View Post
Is anyone from fastmail looking into this?
If your account has support included, you should raise a ticket direct with FastMail.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2017, 07:12 AM   #12
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Ticket opened:

Reproduce: Open the draft email in my forwebmaster folder (the only one that's recent in that folder).
Hit send.

More complete info and reproduction steps:
See http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?p=599572 (this thread)

Reproduction steps:
1) Open this message: https://www.fastmail.com/mail/Sent/[munged]?u=[munged] .
2) Hit [Reply to all] while viewing the message, which is in my Sent folder.
3) Paste a test email into the To field. I've been using info@[munged].sent.com.
4) Type something at the top of the email - like test #7.
5) Press Save Now.
6) Click on Trash folder.
7) Click back to Drafts folder.
8) Click on the newest message.
9) Press send.
10) See the error attached.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 08:06 AM   #13
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

surly you would be replying to your own throw away email address as you are clicking reply.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 08:42 AM   #14
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
surly you would be replying to your own throw away email address as you are clicking reply.
Nope. That's not what fastmail does. Incorrect but reasonable assumption. Try following the steps. I'm hitting Reply to all, not Reply, and to an email in my Sent folder.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 09:02 AM   #15
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Perhaps it's something in your sieve, try saving it then removing it completely, then try..