EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 22 Jan 2017, 10:31 PM   #16
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
made the switch...the hardest part was finding a decent available username. i have a bunch of gmail account but all ridiculous names i registered in my younger days.
This.

Since Google doesn't recycle usernames, it's virtually impossible to get a memorable, respectable and professional sounding username.

It's my hope that someday Google will follow suit and offer different domain registrations like hotmail did with live.com, msn.com, and outlook.com.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2017, 03:26 AM   #17
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
It's my hope that someday Google will follow suit and offer different domain registrations like hotmail did with live.com, msn.com, and outlook.com.
Well, if you want to pay $50/year for an email account, you can bring your own domain to Gmail in the form of their "G Suite" service (formerly known as Google Apps).

As much as Google tries to promote it as a "for business" service, there are many folks I know (myself included for a number of years), that just have a single user account on there for the sake of running their own custom domain.

Of course, these days finding a good custom domain can be a real trick if you don't already have one registered. I had the luck of having a not terribly common last name, as well as registering it as ad domain name 15 years ago
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2017, 03:03 PM   #18
rockman

How about Zoho Mail?
https://www.zoho.com/mail/
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2017, 06:44 PM   #19
MagnumOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
How about Zoho Mail?
https://www.zoho.com/mail/
Zoho is actually quite solid, although not as well known. At least you won't have to deal with ads.

Agree with xkop about Gmail's label system--annoying and confusing indeed.

BluMail runs on the GMail platform; this might work if you can't otherwise get a desired username.

For dial-up users, Gmail still offers a basic HTML web interface, while Yahoo and Zoho must be accessed via e-mail client.
MagnumOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2017, 09:50 PM   #20
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumOpus View Post
Yahoo and Zoho must be accessed via e-mail client.
Nonsense....

A longer version: both yahoo and zoho are accessible via their web interfaces, in addition to IMAP/POP (email clients).

Last edited by janusz : 23 Jan 2017 at 10:52 PM.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2017, 02:32 PM   #21
Just Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Which would you rather use? gmail or yahoo. not so much for the function, either works fine for me but rather security i suppose.

i've been using yahoo email for a decade for a number of things that i don't use my fastmail account for as i prefer to keep them seperate but after the yahoo hack news, i am having second thoughts as to if i should stay with yahoo or not.
Anyone with a modicum of common sense or intelligence would use neither.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2017, 03:19 PM   #22
MagnumOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Nonsense....

A longer version: both yahoo and zoho are accessible via their web interfaces, in addition to IMAP/POP (email clients).
By not quoting the full paragraph, you took my statement out of context.
Please reread; I added bold this time:

Quote:
For dial-up users, Gmail still offers a basic HTML web interface, while Yahoo and Zoho must be accessed via e-mail client.
Again, I am referring to dial-up users.
MagnumOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2017, 03:03 AM   #23
thisisnotgood

Gmail-Yahoo

One thing I hate about all the Gmail interfaces is that it does not show if an email has been replied or forwarded next to it. This is very annoying if you have a lot of work emails and are trying to figure out what you have or have not responded to. Yahoo, and almost every other provider has this feature.

Also, I don't think Gmail has a good cosmetic look to it. Almost like they are trying to blend mobile and desktop interfaces together.

After all the hacking at Yahoo, you would think and hope they have seriously taken a look at the security issues.
thisisnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2017, 09:04 PM   #24
rmannam

Yahoo notifies users of 'forged cookie' breach

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/n...each/97955438/
rmannam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2017, 07:10 AM   #25
TenFour
Master of the @

Gmail is far better than Yahoo for security and Gmail's spam filters work great. Yahoo's interface is so full of ads it is hard to use. Gmail's works great in a browser with an ad blocker turned on--no ads. Gmails unlimited photo storage is very useful even if you have no need for the full suite of services they offer.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2017, 12:01 PM   #26
thisisnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Yahoo's interface is so full of ads it is hard to use.
I have not seen a single ad on my Yahoo email for years. I use ad blockers, and I never donate to anything that asks except for that as it makes not just Yahoo mail great, but the entire internet experience.

Gmail is good, and I use it too. I love the free forwarding features and their Android app is excellent. However, as I mentioned, I don't like how Gmail does not show if a message has been responded to or forwarded next to it like almost all other email service.
thisisnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2017, 12:23 PM   #27
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotgood View Post
I have not seen a single ad on my Yahoo email for years. I use ad blockers, and I never donate to anything that asks except for that as it makes not just Yahoo mail great, but the entire internet experience.

Gmail is good, and I use it too. I love the free forwarding features and their Android app is excellent. However, as I mentioned, I don't like how Gmail does not show if a message has been responded to or forwarded next to it like almost all other email service.
So, you cherry pick, and explore all of the options: which is good; I need to do do more of that myself.
David is offline   Reply With Quote