EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Nov 2020, 08:12 PM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

General feedback for FM?

What's the best way to send general feedback to FM? Starting a ticket seems overkill for something that is low priority and is more in the line of suggestions for features, comments on the current design, etc.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Nov 2020, 10:29 PM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
What's the best way to send general feedback to FM?
You can send an e-mail to support@fastmail.com

or a message on social media via Facebook or Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Starting a ticket seems overkill for something that is low priority
I don't think that's ever stopped xyzzy raising a ticket, perhaps he would do it for you.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2020, 04:01 AM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I don't think that's ever stopped xyzzy raising a ticket, perhaps he would do it for you.
You're probably right. But only if it was my suggestion, not someone else. The ticket system does provide the "Something else, or I'm not sure" category.

xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2020, 06:39 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

So often it feels like feedback is just a black hole for most products, but I am told by people who work at these companies that they do appreciate constructive feedback and actually do consider it. Having worked for a small tech company for awhile I know that we had actual human beings read and consider every piece of feedback received, though as you can imagine a lot of it is impossible to do anything about.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2020, 07:45 AM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
You're probably right. But only if it was my suggestion, not someone else. The ticket system does provide the "Something else, or I'm not sure" category.

At least they respond back.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2020, 03:30 PM   #6
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
At least they respond back.
Yes, there's that plus IMO the suggestion is at least "on the record" even if it ends up as a closed ticket. That as opposed to possibly getting buried in an email folder of whoever is checking that support email account.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2020, 04:01 PM   #7
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Yeah, support tickets are the best way to give us feedback. They are easier to link and track to internal tasks than anything else.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2020, 11:22 PM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Nice to see you are still occasionally around this forum, Brong. I believe it was a great shame when FastMail stopped actively participating and actually promoting the (then) multiple FastMail forums.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2020, 01:11 AM   #9
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Nice to see you are still occasionally around this forum, Brong. I believe it was a great shame when FastMail stopped actively participating and actually promoting the (then) multiple FastMail forums.
+1 nice to see Brong here.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2020, 06:59 AM   #10
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Certainly at the time that we pulled back from it, we discovered that it wasn't very productive use of our time - that we were better either working on new features or solving specific customer problems via support tickets than debating the merits of particular approaches on here!

We do still drop by occasionally to see what's being discussed here, particularly when somebody brings a specific thread to our attention.

But of course, the team is a lot bigger now and that makes the issue even more acute that if everyone spends multiple hours per day engaging on a discussion platform, they're not spending that time solving specific customer problems or building features that benefit everybody!
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2020, 10:02 PM   #11
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Certainly at the time that we pulled back from it, we discovered that it wasn't very productive use of our time - that we were better either working on new features or solving specific customer problems via support tickets than debating the merits of particular approaches on here!

We do still drop by occasionally to see what's being discussed here, particularly when somebody brings a specific thread to our attention.

But of course, the team is a lot bigger now and that makes the issue even more acute that if everyone spends multiple hours per day engaging on a discussion platform, they're not spending that time solving specific customer problems or building features that benefit everybody!
Well, I do not see why maintaining two-way communication between FastMail and its most motivated clients needs to involve everyone in the company. A couple of suitable staff who would know when involving others might be productive would be quite sufficient. I would argue that having a larger staff would mean that maintaining the kind of close knit community we enjoyed in the early days would actually be much less costly as a percentage of the company's costs. However, I recognise that this is a ship that has sailed, and no one is going to turn the clock back.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote