EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 31 Mar 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
ryguy7

Alias in Thunderbird?

Hello, I want to be able to use my Runbox aliases in Thunderbird but when I try to set it up I fail. I have set up my main account in Thunderbird using the instructions on the Runbox website and it works fine. But when I tried one method I saw on the site for using aliases via a client (clone the setup and just change the "Reply to:" and "From:" fields to the alias in the clone), Thunderbird says that the server settings already exist or some such and won't let me duplicate them.

To be clear, I just want to be able to use Runbox aliases to send and receive email in Thunderbird. I don't need to make separate Thunderbird folders for them or anything complicated.

Please help.
ryguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Mar 2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi,

Many get this wrong.

This is how to do it:

1. Make yourself a new folder for the alias address, in your account.

2. Make a filter (under Manager:Filter) to send mail to the alias to that folder, like this:

If Headers (dropdown menu)
contains (dropdown menu) youralias@runbox.com (textbox)
save to folder (dropdown menu) <your alias foldername> (textbox)".
Make sure it is set as "Active", then click Save settings.

3. In ThunderBird, you then set up a new runbox POP3 account, with the incoming server USERNAME set as: username%runbox.com%foldername (this is the name of the folder you created in Step 1), and your regular password.

The other server settings should be the same as default. The From and reply-to should be set to the alias address, of course.

Hope that helps some!

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2013, 06:16 PM   #3
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The other way to use aliases in Thunderbird is to click on "Manage Identities" which is just under where it says "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" in the account settings.

This allows you to have multiple identities when sending email through the Runbox servers.

Dave
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2013, 11:58 PM   #4
ryguy7

Thank you both, still a little confused though. I use IMAP in Thunderbird, so does this mean Liz's way is not possible unless I switch to POP3? Also, dbowdley, can I use your method if I use IMAP, and will Thunderbird still be able to retrieve emails sent to an alias if I add a new identity in the way you described?

Thanks!
Old 1 Apr 2013, 02:39 AM   #5
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Yes, if you use the method I described you can send from your aliases and Thunderbird will pick up all your email from your one Inbox. As you probably already know, unless you filter email, all email whether sent to your main Runbox address or an alias arrives in your Inbox.

The POP method Liz described is very useful if you want to use one Runbox account as if it is more than one account (by filtering to folders). I don't think that is what you want to do, and especially not if you are using IMAP.

Let us know if you get it working :-)
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2013, 04:16 AM   #6
ryguy7

This worked! Thank you very much.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 06:05 AM   #7
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Sorry, I didn't realize you were using IMAP. Then Dave's suggestion is much better.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote