EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 22 Sep 2014, 02:43 AM   #1
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Microsoft OneDrive from 15 to 30 Gb, Free

Until September 30, install the OneDrive app on your phone (Android, IOS, WindowsPhone or even Windows) and upload to the CameraRoll -- set auto backup -- and your storage space will be increased from 15 Gb to 30 Gb.

On Android, logging out and logging in with another Live hosted account will let you configure that new account for auto-backup.

https://blog.onedrive.com/you-can-no...with-onedrive/

(If you already use CameraRoll, you should see your storage increase automatically.)

October 1, 2014: Just went in to login to OneDrive from Android with a different e-mail. The app has updated and today it says I will get a 15 Gb bonus for turning on Camera Roll backup, rather than the 3Gb it used to say. It looks like this promotion is with us for a while after September 30.

Last edited by kaptitsky : 1 Oct 2014 at 10:48 PM.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Sep 2014, 04:22 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

And two months ago the Microsoft OneDrive space with an Office 365 subscription was increased to an additional 1 TB per user (5 TB for an Office 365 Home subscription with 5 users). This is in addition to the free OneDrive allocation. I have an Office 365 Home subscription, which gives me the Microsoft Office software apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, Access) on 5 PC's and 5 tablets as well as 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage per user for up to 5 users / 5 TB).

Here are some cloud storage choices:
  • OneDrive: 15 to 30 GB free - OneDrive only subscriptions are available (100 GB for $1.99/month or 200 GB for $3.99/month) and paid Office 365 subscriptions: Personal (1 TB with Office 365 for $6.99/month on one PC/Mac & one tablet) or Home (1 TB/user with Office 365 for $9.99/month allowing 5 PC/Mac's & 5 tablets)
  • Google Drive: 15 GB free - paid subscriptions available: 100 GB ($1.99/month) and 1 TB ($9.99/month)
  • Box.com: 10 GB free, with paid plans of 100 GB ($5.00/month)
  • Dropbox: 2 GB free (250 MB bonuses available), with paid plans of 100 GB ($9.99/month), 200 GB ($19.99/month), and 500 GB ($49.99/month)
  • iCloud Drive: now 5 GB free, with paid plans of 20 GB (0.99/month) and 200 GB ($3.99/month)
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2014, 07:03 AM   #3
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Bill, good information.
Looks like Dropbox has lowered its prices. They now have a "Pro" plan for $99/year -- and it's one TB.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2014, 07:17 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
...Looks like Dropbox has lowered its prices. They now have a "Pro" plan for $99/year -- and it's one TB.
Since Fastmail has an integrated connection to their service, I do use Dropbox now.

Yes, pricing and storage quotas are changing rapidly after Microsoft and Apple made recent changes. After moving away from Microsoft for several years, I have been pleasantly surprised at the full set of apps and cloud services I'm getting for $10/month. The ability to install their apps and use cloud services on my desk PC, laptop, and even iPad has made the Microsoft Office 365 / OneDrive offering stand out for me.

Bill
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Gankaku

Thanks for that. I will try that out. (Edit: Hey! Worked for me!)

I just don't use Microsoft's online services that much, since I already use several others. But it's always good to have a backup. I think their services are probably good too. I guess long ago, Hotmail just kind of turned me off to everything that's MS online :\ Funny how long impressions remain.

Last edited by Gankaku : 22 Sep 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:38 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

A Leopard never changes its spots, just its tactics
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
A Leopard never changes its spots, just its tactics
Pretty sure they still delete your mail if you haven't logged in for awhile. Who does that!? Oh...them. :P
Old 23 Sep 2014, 02:09 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I think that free email accounts from nearly all providers have an inactivity closure policy. And I think this always requires a web login (not just POP/IMAP/SMTP access):Bill
Old 24 Sep 2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Agx

All the service will close an account if you don't use it but:

- Microsoft will recycle your username if the account will be deleted/closed

- Yahoo will recycle your username if the account will be deleted/closed

- Google Gmail: They delete the account, but they NEVER recycle the account

And this is very important
Agx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2014, 09:25 AM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

Many years ago I closed down a Yahoo mail account (because of spam) Though I deleted all my mail first, I forgot to delete a few files in the notepad, when I reopened the account (over a year later) the files were still there..........
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2014, 11:41 PM   #11
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I think that free email accounts from nearly all providers have an inactivity closure policy. And I think this always requires a web login (not just POP/IMAP/SMTP access):Bill
So far, I've never lost email on my yahoo or other gmail account which I almost never use. I have had an entire gmail account close which I never used, though. The difference was...the one that got closed never received any email AND I never logged in. The Yahoo and Gmail accounts, although rarely/never used, still actively received email. Maybe that's the difference?
Old 25 Sep 2014, 05:15 AM   #12
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
the one that got closed never received any email AND I never logged in.
So how do you know it was closed? And that it never received any email?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2014, 01:21 PM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
So far, I've never lost email on my yahoo or other gmail account which I almost never use....
I see many questions on this an other forums from free email account users who lose their accounts due to inactivity. If you do a bit of research, you will find that the limits in the terms of service are real and are applied by these services.

I recommend never letting a free email service account close if you might have that account set up for email verification of a lost password at another account. It's possible to lose control of an account (including some financial accounts) if a thief tries to reset the account and they have obtained your old email account due to inactivity. The best solution for these issues is owning your own domain and receiving your email at that domain, since you are then in control over your account.

Bill
Old 25 Sep 2014, 08:43 PM   #14
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
Until September 30, install the OneDrive app on your phone (Android, IOS, WindowsPhone or even Windows) and upload to the CameraRoll -- set auto backup -- and your storage space will be increased from 15 Gb to 30 Gb.
. . . .
It appears that they add 15 Gb to what you have. My amount went from 25 to 40.
GeraldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2014, 01:14 AM   #15
William9
The "e" in e-mail

As Bill points out above, the Microsoft Office 365 plans are attractive -- Onedrive with a TB of storage.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote