EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Jun 2013, 08:09 AM   #46
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknterry View Post
He's right. The top row of menu options won't work on an iPad.
This one works.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2013, 03:26 PM   #47
William9
The "e" in e-mail

That gets you a little further with an iPad -- but doesn't allow one to use the menu bar in the account manager.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2013, 04:11 PM   #48
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
At some point, the service will be broken unless it keeps up by making those necessary changes.
I guess John Capo's original programming worked very well for nearly three years, which is pretty good imho.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2013, 12:51 AM   #49
zinneken

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I guess John Capo's original programming worked very well for nearly three years, which is pretty good imho.
Been with tuffmail since 2006 I think. I've always known the design and interface you see exactly the way it is now. A few features were added, but the pages and interface have in my memory always been like they are now.
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2013, 01:16 AM   #50
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
Been with tuffmail since 2006 I think. I've always known the design and interface you see exactly the way it is now. A few features were added, but the pages and interface have in my memory always been like they are now.
True: I used Tuffmail myself for a couple of years. It is really amazing that all is still working well, nearly three years after he sold the company.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 04:53 PM   #51
zinneken

With pain in the heart, I decided after 7 years with tuffmail to move on. It still is the same reliable service it was 7 years ago, but a couple of elements triggered my move:

- still hosted in the USA. Derek has been promising for the last +2 yeas to move the service away from the USA to Canada, but, it hasn't happened yet. I recently decided to pull everything out of the USA (prism etc.) and so tuffmail had to go.

- Derek has been promising features such as better integration with mobile devices, more disk space, better webmail, etc. ever since 6 months after he took over. I don't necessarily need those features and don't think they'll ever get implemented, but if they come they're welcome. However, if the features are launched, it will mean a completely new architecture as the reliable architecture created by John Capo can't handle these "modern times" features. So I fear new features will break the John Capo reliability into the Derek delay, figure of speech.

Where on earth is John Capo hiding? I'm sure he could create a mail service we're all dreaming of.

Anyway, with pain in the heart I took the jump, frightening after 7 years! I jumped straight into EUMX. So far so good.
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2013, 12:19 PM   #52
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Derek has been promising for the last +2 yeas to move the service away from the USA to Canada, but, it hasn't happened yet.
Legally, I'm sure Canada is a better place to host. But is it really that much better? (I heard some important people in Fort Meade consider Canada part of the "homeland".)
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2013, 01:45 PM   #53
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Runbox is looking more attractive for several reasons.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 02:00 PM   #54
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
Legally, I'm sure Canada is a better place to host. But is it really that much better? (I heard some important people in Fort Meade consider Canada part of the "homeland".)
As a Canadian citizen (for many years) I do doubt that..... is the truth of the matter.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 02:44 PM   #55
north

Interesting ideas in here. "Canada a part of the homeland" ... well I am from old europe and I do not know all the details that maybe support this point of view. But here in europe many people think that europe and all its (former sovereign) countries are now under dictatorship of EU(dSSR) and the USA have also a lot of influence in europe. So the question is, who and where can it be located can offer real (at least good) bullet-proof emailservice? Can that be located in the EU (and all its countries hooked to the EU)?

After the shut down of lavabit I am searching for a good alternative to lavabit and in this case I often think about where to move... (thinking about the same points zinneken wrote about) so any ideas?

Last edited by north : 12 Aug 2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2013, 02:46 PM   #56
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
And I heard some Americans consider Canada the 51st state. That doesn't mean it is.

Fact is we'll probably never really know if one country has better protection of its citizens' privacy than others, at least not until it's too late and the government has all your data anyway.

The best we can do as concerned citizens is stay abreast with all major news outlets and keep our fingers crossed they don't have a signed NDA with NSA as well.

Paranoia knows no limits...
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2013, 07:53 PM   #57
Ceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
After the shut down of lavabit I am searching for a good alternative to lavabit and in this case I often think about where to move... (thinking about the same points zinneken wrote about) so any ideas?
If you rely on the servers to maintain privacy, you are making a mistake, whether it be lavabit or otherwise. The only proper way to secure email is to use some client side encryption like GPGP so that even if someone gets hands on the emails servers, they cant do jack.

Also realise that, taking lavabit, the emails were unencrypted before they reached lavabits servers. Its like someone writing you a postcard, by postal mail and then when you receive it, you put it into a top secret high security vault. Kind of silly since the postcard was readable by all before it reached you.

GPGP on the other hand, is like the sender writing the postcard in code, and mailing the encrypted postcard.
Ceramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2013, 08:23 PM   #58
north

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucalculus View Post
If you rely on the servers to maintain privacy, you are making a mistake, whether it be lavabit or otherwise. The only proper way to secure email is to use some client side encryption like GPGP so that even if someone gets hands on the emails servers, they cant do jack.

Also realise that, taking lavabit, the emails were unencrypted before they reached lavabits servers. Its like someone writing you a postcard, by postal mail and then when you receive it, you put it into a top secret high security vault. Kind of silly since the postcard was readable by all before it reached you.

GPGP on the other hand, is like the sender writing the postcard in code, and mailing the encrypted postcard.
Ack!

But my point is to find now a reliable new emailprovider in the vein of lavabit. All other techniques to become a secure email itself come later. First the bullet-proof-mailprovider has to be found.
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2013, 12:35 AM   #59
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Tuffmail looks dated in my opinion. Sort of like using MS Office 2000. It's not that it doesn't work just fine, it's concern that it's not keeping up with the times and what that means for the future.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 06:24 PM   #60
filbert

Quote:
- Derek has been promising features such as better integration with mobile devices, more disk space, better webmail, etc. ever since 6 months after he took over. I don't necessarily need those features and don't think they'll ever get implemented, but if they come they're welcome.
The fact that there have been these promises but nothing has been implemented isn't encouraging. The system doesn't seem to be under active development but then I guess it wan't when John was there.
He did respond to suport calls, even minor ones, promptly, though, and that doesn't seem to be the case now.
filbert is offline   Reply With Quote