EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Jun 2019, 02:45 PM   #1
ferrety

Thanks for breaking alias search

I use alias emails for everything. One for every company, I often disable them to stop spam & re-enable before placing an order or if I phoned and need a response. It was quick & easy, it worked.

Before today, I'd go to aliases & type a bit of the company's name in the search box. I contain the company name within the email address so it is easy to identify. It cannot be at the beginning because it can cause problems sending an email from Welches7yuj7@fastmail.com to welchesfruit@wherevever.com

So I give each alias prefix before a bit of the company name so it would be Treeswelches7yui7@fastmail.com.
I could search the alias list in a second have the correct email address by typing in welches. I can see if it is enabled or not & change it if needed. Easy Peasy

Until Fastmail ruined it. Search is now broken.
Searching for Welches shows no matches & the word none appears in the Alias section. If I search for anything that isn't the start of the email address it can no longer recognise it. So if I search for trees I get the entire alias list.

~ Alias search broken by the update
~ Demanding a password to change alias settings (which I do every day) is a major pain & utterly pointless. This is about as sensible as making us give a password to change the background
For me this has turned using my email into a bloody nightmare

Last edited by ferrety : 25 Jun 2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jun 2019, 07:50 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I see what you mean! I also use multiple aliases but mine are of a different form, eg

pz.df.qa.word.2784@domain

and I find that the search will find things if it looks for some or all of any of the individual parts of that, so for example

p or pz
d or df
q or qa
w or wo or wor or word
2 or 27 or 278 or 2784

etc will all narrow down the display in a useful way, but search will not find anything if I type in eg d.2 or as you found, 84

Here, all my aliases are listed in alphabetical order so it's not impossible to find things. And (Firefox's) Edit -> Find will also find substrings of alias names.

I hope you're going to raise a ticket with FM and let them know about this. Posting it here is no use...

Last edited by JeremyNicoll : 25 Jun 2019 at 07:59 PM.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2019, 11:04 PM   #3
ferrety

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
I see what you mean! I also use multiple aliases but mine are of a different form, eg

pz.df.qa.word.2784@domain

and I find that the search will find things if it looks for some or all of any of the individual parts of that, so for example

p or pz
d or df
q or qa
w or wo or wor or word
2 or 27 or 278 or 2784

etc will all narrow down the display in a useful way, but search will not find anything if I type in eg d.2 or as you found, 84

Here, all my aliases are listed in alphabetical order so it's not impossible to find things. And (Firefox's) Edit -> Find will also find substrings of alias names.

I hope you're going to raise a ticket with FM and let them know about this. Posting it here is no use...
I'm using Vivaldi's (a browser) find function. Really annoyed that I have to password in each time
Old 26 Jun 2019, 12:16 AM   #4
solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
I'm using Vivaldi's (a browser) find function. Really annoyed that I have to password in each time
So you opened a ticket?
solenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 02:27 AM   #5
Grhm
Essential Contributor

If you have your own domain and you have a wildcard set up, you can invent identities on the fly without having to use aliases at all.
Provided you keep a record of them somewhere searchable, such as a simple text file, that's all that's needed, I have found.
If you start getting spam at a particular address, just block mail to that address.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 06:05 AM   #6
solenoid

Not to mention the fact that FastMail has always said to allow up to fifteen minutes to allow any changes regarding an alias to take effect. The OP's method appears to be questionable in the first place.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 07:01 AM   #7
Grhm
Essential Contributor

I don't agree that there is anything questionable about the OP's system.
It used to work perfectly, but now, suddenly, with no warning and for no good reason, it doesn't.
That is infuriating. He is right to be cross.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2019, 02:22 AM   #8
solenoid

The OP was getting lucky—it really isn't practical to rely on a feature like that when it can have a lag time at 15 minutes.

Regardless, I want the password-protection feature for aliases. The ability to delete an entire subdomain from a web interface without confirmation via password is, arguably, dangerous. Saying it is "utterly pointless" is just hyperbole.

I swear, some people just like to be sarcastic, complain, and assume someone doesn't care about them, rather than attempt to approach the other party in a calm, adult-like manner. This is why Fastmail staff have stopped regularly reading this forum. This.
Old 4 Jul 2019, 04:03 PM   #9
ferrety

Quote:
Originally Posted by solenoid View Post
The OP was getting lucky—it really isn't practical to rely on a feature like that when it can have a lag time at 15 minutes.

Regardless, I want the password-protection feature for aliases. The ability to delete an entire subdomain from a web interface without confirmation via password is, arguably, dangerous. Saying it is "utterly pointless" is just hyperbole.

I swear, some people just like to be sarcastic, complain, and assume someone doesn't care about them, rather than attempt to approach the other party in a calm, adult-like manner. This is why Fastmail staff have stopped regularly reading this forum. This.
Your contribution to this thread has been to make derogatory comments about me. Because horrifyingly, I object to the search function being broken. And am not a fan of the changes. How dare I hold a different view to you. You have written 7 posts in 9 years & 3 of them are in this thread being rude to me. What's your alternate name on here? Looks like the kind of thing Bron would write.

Last edited by ferrety : 4 Jul 2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 4 Jul 2019, 05:01 PM   #10
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Edit......

Last edited by Terry : 4 Jul 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2019, 03:12 PM   #11
solenoid

Quote:
Your contribution to this thread has been to make derogatory comments about me. Because horrifyingly, I object to the search function being broken. And am not a fan of the changes. How dare I hold a different view to you. You have written 7 posts in 9 years & 3 of them are in this thread being rude to me. What's your alternate name on here? Looks like the kind of thing Bron would write.
Conspiracy theories aside, my contribution to this thread was that you were being a rude, sarcastic, presumptuous ingrate to Fastmail in the first place before they could even take any action regarding your query. That was what I was upbraiding you for. This probably does not dawn on you because you fail to acknowledge any of my actual points.

Thank you for the comprehensive recap of my posting history. Please update your records to note that it is now four posts in this thread.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 12:32 AM   #12
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment

Civility is number one on this forum!

Please no upbraiding, scolding or any other types of reprimanding!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2019, 12:48 AM   #13
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
It cannot be at the beginning because it can cause problems sending an email from Welches7yuj7@fastmail.com to welchesfruit@wherevever.com
How does that cause a problem?
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2019, 06:46 AM   #14
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
If you have your own domain..
I do and set up addresses like this: companyname@mydomain.com.

- Bruce
http://emdpics.somdcomputerguy.com/
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2019, 08:01 AM   #15
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks for the pic's...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote