EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 11 Apr 2017, 05:15 PM   #1
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
After migration to verizon, how about yahoo and AOL email?

Will these two providers become the same one? or they get developed separately?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Apr 2017, 03:24 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Predicting the future of such business mergers is difficult. The new Verizon Oath division won't fully start up until the merger completes, probably this summer. Maybe you will want to contribute to this Advertising Age poll:
As Verizon Makes an 'Oath,' Should It Erase the Yahoo or AOL Brands? (POLL)

The details of the email service probably aren't a big focus at Verizon, and keeping email running is just a necessary expense. They care about brands producing revenue from advertising, advertising, advertising, and advertising (in that order). With regards to the Yahoo and AOL email systems, there are several levels of merger which are possible, including:
  • Support staff
  • User databases
  • Email addresses
  • Servers and other infrastructure assets
  • Core email features (SMTP software, SPF/DKIM/DMARC authentication, spam filtering, mail storage, backups)
  • User interface
  • Branding
My guess is that Oath will keep Yahoo and AOL email separate as far as customers can tell (email addresses and webmail user interface) for quite a while. All of the items I listed above can't be rapidly changed without risking loss of revenue, and it will take time for the new Oath management team to make decisions about their short and long term goals.

Here is a prediction (from me): The combined number of AOL and Yahoo accounts (or Oath accounts if they fully merge) will decrease over time. Email is becoming less important to those who are addicted to social media, and I doubt that there will be much interest in keeping multiple email accounts for most younger people in the future.

Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2017, 07:08 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I doubt that there will be much interest in keeping multiple email accounts for most younger people in the future.
Statistics don't bear this out. Social Media gets all the buzz, but email does all the heavy lifting of actual communication. It will be a long time before your college application acceptance comes via text message or Facebook, or your utility bill, car insurance, Amazon order, etc. One simple reason is that I have yet to see a social media platform that allows for any sort of realistic filing and/or search feature, and it is hard to archive on a local system or even in the cloud. Every younger person I know has multiple email addresses and uses different addresses for different things.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:50 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Statistics don't bear this out. ..
I will just quote some other sources:I get no email from some family members who used to send me regular messages a few years ago. I gave up contacting my nephew and niece using email because my brother said they rarely checked it and only used social media and especially text messages.

Your experience may differ from mine and the articles I read about this subject. I like email.

Bill
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:13 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Statistics can prove anything! Obviously, social is big and growing, but the revenue is in email. That's why companies will not be abandoning email marketing, and email providers also know it is a way to gather revenue. Here's one link of interest: http://optinmonster.com/email-market...19-statistics/
Old 13 Apr 2017, 02:01 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Thanks for that link. Please examine the Channels used most frequently for personal written communication table, which shows preference by age group. That's all I was suggesting.

Bill
Old 13 Apr 2017, 07:41 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

My guess would be that Yahoo and AOL email will both continue to exist as addresses, even if the backends become merged.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 08:41 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
My guess would be that Yahoo and AOL email will both continue to exist as addresses, even if the backends become merged.
I agree.

Bill
Old 26 Apr 2017, 06:00 AM   #9
Zach

Quote:
Statistics don't bear this out. Social Media gets all the buzz, but email does all the heavy lifting of actual communication. It will be a long time before your college application acceptance comes via text message or Facebook, or your utility bill, car insurance, Amazon order, etc. One simple reason is that I have yet to see a social media platform that allows for any sort of realistic filing and/or search feature, and it is hard to archive on a local system or even in the cloud. Every younger person I know has multiple email addresses and uses different addresses for different things.
This. Also remember that most social media sites require you to have an email address to sign up to their service, and they often won't let people use fake email addresses from yopmail, guerrilla mail, 10minutemail or similar disposable email services. Most young people I know have at least two, if not three, email addresses - one that they use for important stuff, one for spammy stuff and one for university. I can't see the situation changing soon, unless Facebook makes it possible to email essays or open PDF files.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 10:11 PM   #10
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Will these two providers become the same one? or they get developed separately?
I hope verizon will merge the 2 services and make them BETTER. But it would not surprise me if verizon sooner or later will pull the plug out of them both.

Untill then I strongly advise people NOT to use AOL or Yahoo for anything serious regarding email!! Their "services" are just NOT up to par with Gmail,Outlook or Yandex imho.

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 07:46 PM   #11
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Well new information learned me that the merged project between Yahoo and AOL is going to be called " OATH"....

wfiw...LOL

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote