EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 14 Dec 2020, 08:32 PM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Massive Google outage

Not looking good this morning: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...ge/ar-BB1bUNKO
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Dec 2020, 08:58 PM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Talk about timing, I was in the middle of a handover for my new vehicle and it needed me to confirm everything through my Gmail account.

Now working OK here in UK.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2020, 12:26 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

It was back up pretty quickly. Hit me just as I was trying to download an extension for Chrome and the Chrome Web Store just wouldn't load. At first I thought my Internet must have gone down.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 01:35 AM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

The XYZ said on Twitter:

Quote:
Hearing reports that people were locked out of the internet due to reliance on Google Authenticator for 2FA.
Luckily I use FreeOTP.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 01:39 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

I'd be surprised if the Google Authenticator app wasn't working because I think it doesn't require anything once installed other than Internet time to be updated once in awhile. I have frequently used it when completely disconnected from the Internet. Google notes this on their help page:
Quote:
You can still receive codes without internet connection or mobile service. Learn more about 2-Step Verification.
https://support.google.com/accounts/...DAndroid&hl=en
Old 15 Dec 2020, 01:42 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

That's what I thought also.

Probably using as an excuse to try to drum up some business!
Old 15 Dec 2020, 06:27 PM   #7
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I missed all the fun.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2020, 08:30 PM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

With lots of school systems depending on Chromebooks during the pandemic I suspect there was a lot of panic all over the United States. It hit here on the East Coast around 6:45am and extended to around 7:45am, and I know at least one local school that delayed the opening of the Zoom school day until later in the morning because nobody could log in to their Google stuff. I know Google has lots of staff all over the world, but I bet more than a few employees in California were woken up by emergency messages at 3:45am!
Old 16 Dec 2020, 08:39 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Google authentication system outage on December 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I'd be surprised if the Google Authenticator app wasn't working because I think it doesn't require anything once installed other than Internet time to be updated once in awhile. I have frequently used it when completely disconnected from the Internet. Google notes this on their help page: https://support.google.com/accounts/...DAndroid&hl=en
My guess is that they were referring to Google services or third party services authentication by Google. This is when some application or website asks if you want to "Sign in with Google" or similar wording. This is not directly related to the Google authenticator mobile app.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/112802

The outage on December 14 was reported by Google to be due to "an authentication system outage for approximately 45 minutes due to an internal storage quota issue".

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2020, 12:37 PM   #10
Bamb0
Master of the @

I did to but I heard it was down.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn
I missed all the fun.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2020, 04:02 PM   #11
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Exactly when it happened I tried to revive my Galaxy S3 Mini with an old version of Android. It wanted me to enter my Google account password. To verify that the password I remembered is the correct one I logged into my Google account from the very old version of IE we still have in the office so old intranet things keep working. Logging in to Google from IE was successfuk, but then as I immediately tried to connect from the old Android system everything stopped working. I guess that handling two very old systems was too much for Google's authentication system...
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2020, 08:47 PM   #12
shenton
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Exactly when it happened I tried to revive my Galaxy S3 Mini with an old version of Android. It wanted me to enter my Google account password. To verify that the password I remembered is the correct one I logged into my Google account from the very old version of IE we still have in the office so old intranet things keep working. Logging in to Google from IE was successfuk, but then as I immediately tried to connect from the old Android system everything stopped working. I guess that handling two very old systems was too much for Google's authentication system...
So, obviously, YOU broke Google then. How dare you!
shenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2020, 08:50 PM   #13
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenton View Post
So, obviously, YOU broke Google then. How dare you!
LOLROTF.

I'm cleaning my monitor screen right now.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2020, 08:52 PM   #14
shenton
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
LOLROTF.

I'm cleaning my monitor screen right now.
Never mind LOLROTF- I'm writing a movie script entitled 'Hadaso Takes Down the Chocolate Factory'. It's a sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
shenton is offline   Reply With Quote