EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 31 Oct 2022, 06:36 AM   #1
Moraypowerapps

Exchange and gmail

Good evening folks.
I have Microsoft exchange and also google workspace business.
I’m not sure which way to go with my email.
1. Point it to exchange
2. Use google mail.

A lot of my emails go to peoples spam folder using exchange, gmail not so much.
Any guidance would be great .
Thank you.
Reply Report
Moraypowerapps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Oct 2022, 09:46 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I have both and use our Microsoft 365 business account for email because it integrates better with the other Microsoft apps and tools we use at work. But, overall I think Gmail is the better product for email. Gmail's spam filters are the best, deliverability is great, and I like the simple web and app interface. One huge problem I find with Microsoft is they send legitimate email to Junk every day, meaning I have to constantly check my Junk folder. Gmail doesn't do that.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2022, 09:33 PM   #3
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Exchange works with Microsoft outlook so you aren't just using webmail. Also calendar and contacts can sync with your phone. This is through the activesync protocol.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2022, 02:41 PM   #4
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I have both and use our Microsoft 365 business account for email because it integrates better with the other Microsoft apps and tools we use at work. But, overall I think Gmail is the better product for email. Gmail's spam filters are the best, deliverability is great, and I like the simple web and app interface. One huge problem I find with Microsoft is they send legitimate email to Junk every day, meaning I have to constantly check my Junk folder. Gmail doesn't do that.
I have 2 Office 365 E5 accounts, one via work (no admin control) and another with my own domain where I have admin rights.
I must say that after few months of using Report Spam/Fishing plugin in Outlook - not the default one, but the one that you install as an Add In, both of my mailboxes are almost Spam Free (1-2 messages per month). The same case with fail positives. But one needs to cross "report to Microsoft". Now I got one or two legitimate mail in Spam like every 3 months. And few others that are ending there more frequently, are in the border line also for me - not sure if I call them spam or anything useful
I am also admin of several domains hosted at Google and do not see a massive difference.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2022, 03:02 AM   #5
Moraypowerapps

Ok will give 365 another try. Problem is all my emails go into peoples spam folder. Gmail isn’t quit so bad.
Old 5 Nov 2022, 03:42 AM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraypowerapps View Post
Problem is all my emails go into peoples spam folder.
What have you done to try to find out why?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2022, 04:38 AM   #7
Moraypowerapps

I opened a ticket via 365 admin panel and they tried everything then just admited defeat. They told me to contact all my contacts using another media to tell them to allow my email in and mark it as not spam. Bit rubbish i thought.
Old 5 Nov 2022, 05:57 AM   #8
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I opened a ticket via 365 admin panel and they tried everything then just admited defeat. They told me to contact all my contacts using another media to tell them to allow my email in and mark it as not spam. Bit rubbish i thought.
I've never used 365, and certainly have no idea what their support staff are like. But I have seen any number of websites where people - who are supposedly MS staff - try to help people with ordinary problems, and very many of these staff seem to be useless - not reading what they were told and just providing templated responses.

Many email providers' systems add headers to incoming mails which describe (though somewhat cryptically) how their automated systems have decided that a mail is likely to be spam.

So - IF the 365 system does that - your first action should be to get a set of emails that have been classed as spam sent back to you so that you can see what those headers say. That would need some of the people that you've sent these mails to, to send the copies they received back to you.

If you know nothing about what email headers typically look like you will find it hard to interpret the information. People here could help but it'd require you to share some of those mail headers with us, and you'd want to be certain that there was no personal info in them.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2022, 06:25 AM   #9
Moraypowerapps

Ok then so I should setup ms dns and mx then send a few emails etc and see what happens then post here the info
Old 6 Nov 2022, 03:31 AM   #10
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Ok then so I should setup ms dns and mx then send a few emails etc and see what happens then post here the info
I would recommend also defining SPF records (DKIM would be another step). But as SPF setup is a part of a domain setup in MS panel, so i would hope you do not bypass it.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2022, 05:33 AM   #11
Moraypowerapps

Hi
I also have web hosting and the server has email accounts for all the domains. Would that be better.