EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 8 Oct 2022, 06:19 AM   #1
artmanphoto

Thunderbird Does Not Accept New att.net Password

I THINK THIS IS SOLVED.

I recently created what att.net calls a secure mail key which is a very long "alphabetic" att.net generated "password" that needs to be used with email clients that are NOT 0AUTH2 compliant instead of a "normal" password that is created by the email user.

Although I tried using the att.net secure mail key yesterday when this problem started and it didn't work. I just tried using the secure mail key again to log in to att.net and I was successful. I have always be able to use my normal password before.

My question now: IS THUNDERBIRD 102.3.2 64bit 0AUTH2 COMPLIANT? I thought is was because previously my own pasword always worked.

Can someone please answer this question? Thanks very much.

I am using Thunderbird 102.3.2 64bit on a Windows 10 PC with an AT&T (att.net) IMAP account.

Everything was working perfect until I changed my att.net password to maintain security. When I open Thunderbird it asks me for the new password. I enter the new password and check the box to use password manager to remember password. When I click OK there is a delay when Thunderbird tries to log in then a message appears saying "login into server imap.mail.att.net with username *my email address" failed.

In the extreme upper left corner of the screen next to where it says Inbox and my att.net address there is a small blue dot that constantly moves back and forth right to left.

Since I changed my att.net password I have not been able to log in with Thunderbird. I am confident I am using the new password because I can successfully log in to my att.net email through the att.com website. I also checked my Thunderbird server settings and they have not changed and are correct.

For my iPhone and iPad I am using the Spark email app by Readdle. Since I changed my att.net password the Spark email app will not work on these two devices. When I enter my "new" password and the server information there is an authentication error.

As I mentioned above I am sure the new password is good because I can log into the att.net website and use web mail to send and receive my emails.

I am totally frustrated and clueless how to fix this problem so I can once again use Thunderbird (and my iPhone and iPad).

I would really appreciate any help and ideas the forum members can give me. Thanks!

Bill

Last edited by artmanphoto : 8 Oct 2022 at 07:31 AM.
artmanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Oct 2022, 08:10 AM   #2
emoore
Essential Contributor

OAuth2 works with my Yahoo and Gmail accounts using 64 bit Thunderbird 102.3.2.

It sounds like you wanted to use a application specific password instead of OAuth2, but accidentally used your normal password instead. That's not going to work.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote