EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Mar 2011, 02:36 PM   #331
QuantumZ

Hello all.

I didn't even know there was a Fastmail forum, but I've found it now and it looks
interesting. I shall be sure to pop back.

Just wanted to say thanks for a really great email service.
I've been using it since 2001 I think it was.

Never had any problems (touch wood).
I used the free service and went out of action for a little while and when I returned
Fastmail was still there. I can't say I noticed much of an improvement coz it always
worked flawlessly (at least for me) anyway ;-))

When I say I went out of action - let me clarify - it wasn't Fastmail, but me not
having any internet for a year or two.

A little while back I took out the basic package and I am very happy with it.
I plan on upgrading and getting another account at some point soon.

Anyway, I love the service and everything about it. It is the best email I've used.
I have done a bit of web design and programming myself, so I like to think I know
a little bit about these things.

I am also an avid Opera fan, and was pleasantly surprised to find the nice bright
Opera logo one day when I logged into Fastmail. I don't know why - call me shallow ;-).
I use PC's and not Apples though, so I can't be that shallow. ;-).
Just kidding - I do use Apples in a studio I sometimes work at - love them - just
can't afford one.

Opera is a brilliant browser and whilst not totally perfect, it is the most perfect one
for me for my uses. I am not a big user and don't do too much adventurous stuff -
but what I do do, i.e. sending attachments etc.; works perfectly.

That's all I wanted to say really.

Thanks for a great email service - I do recommend it as the 'only' email to consider
to new people starting out, when I occasionally get the chance.

I like to build computers for fun and also enjoy bringing back other peoples otherwise
dead machines, or even just putting in a bit of extra ram for them. I suppose I am
shallow when it comes down to it ;-).

I'm gonna go now but I promise to have a good look around here and let you know
what I think.

Thankyou Fastmail, Warpmail, AND I suppose Opera. Good move on everyone's part.

Cheers.

Last edited by QuantumZ : 11 Mar 2011 at 11:07 PM.
QuantumZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:16 AM   #332
jagomai

Thumbs up Edit files content feature!

Hello,

I was looking for a way to edit a simple txt-file online and save it without any extra code added. Meaning, I wanted to be able to edit and save text or html files without saving a single file to the PC I was working on (for travel, internet cafés etc).

I looked all around and even found a service called JSbin at http://jsbin.com/. There I could write some code and use FastMails download URL-feature to get pure code into a text file. --- But that feature is already inherent within FastMail itself! ---

If you click "details" on a text or html file in your file storage, you can edit it right there and save it. Amazing. This is such an awesome feature for me and saves me so much effort.

Good job FastMail, keep these geeky features, they give you great edge!
jagomai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2011, 01:10 PM   #333
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagomai View Post
... If you click "details" on a text or html file in your file storage, you can edit it right there and save it. Amazing. This is such an awesome feature for me and saves me so much effort.
You can also easily create a website at a Fastmail domain your-alias address (or you own domain, if you have an Enhanced account) where you can upload and download files, with a password required for access. And you can use the instructions in this post to encrypt certain notes in your Fastmail Notepad. There are lots of additional tricks spread through the Fastmail forums here at EMD Forums.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2011, 02:50 AM   #334
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
You can also easily create a website at a Fastmail domain your-alias address (or you own domain, if you have an Enhanced account) where you can upload and download files, with a password required for access. And you can use the instructions in this post to encrypt certain notes in your Fastmail Notepad. There are lots of additional tricks spread through the Fastmail forums here at EMD Forums.

Bill
Nice Encryption ^^ I take it I copy the whole text of the aes.js
was pretty long
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2011, 03:17 AM   #335
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, you need the whole aes.js javascript file.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 08:34 AM   #336
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Yes, you need the whole aes.js javascript file.
I uploaded it as well as adding the code for the tweaks.js I already have nothing is showing up...

There was no file I could find so I copied all the txt into a text file .js
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:39 AM   #337
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

If you are having trouble with the notepad encryption instructions I posted, please create a new thread in the Fastmail Help Forum on this problem so we don't hijack this thread.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 05:06 PM   #338
mathewmeihofer

I've been using Fastmail a little over a year as a premium user, Never had a issue.

I decided to join when I switched internet service providers, I had a comcast email account, But when I get rid of Comcast will I lost my email, and all the websites I Signed up with required my old email to still be active so I could activate my new email address, After that I decided it was time to go off to a non ISP email account.

Thanks Fastmail(: I <3 you.
mathewmeihofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2012, 05:10 PM   #339
EmailHosting

Representative of:
EmailHosting.com
FastMail.fm Site

Why is it that the Fastmail.fm site looks so outdated? I am planning to test out their service to see how it compares to EmailHosting.com. I'll keep you guys posted.
EmailHosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2012, 07:16 PM   #340
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmailHosting View Post
Why is it that the Fastmail.fm site looks so outdated? I am planning to test out their service to see how it compares to EmailHosting.com. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks for spamming the testimonials thread.

EmailHosting must be a classy email service.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2012, 10:13 PM   #341
disneylogic
Essential Contributor

Cool "looks so outdated"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmailHosting View Post
What the hell do you think this is? A beauty pageant?

Fastmail works, and works awesomely. If page space were wasted on gratuitous graphics, there's be less information. I have lived using FastMail for years, and consider it crucial.
disneylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2012, 04:43 AM   #342
William9
The "e" in e-mail

OK emailhosting. We get it. Your promoting your service on this forum.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2012, 01:30 PM   #343
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

As FM have said right from the start, it's FastMail, not PrettyGraphicsMail. The graphics are kept deliberately simple for that reason.

Me, I've been a customer for 10 years (and about two weeks) now -- far longer than any other service has lasted.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:25 AM   #344
bonorum

Smile Fastmail testimonial

I won't make this too long, but I couldn't be happier with Fastmail service. It does all the usual things well. One thing it does exceptionally well: personalities. I have a forwarding account from my alma mater. Fastmail is able to make it seamless to send and receive mail, even though I do not have SMTP service there. When there was a forwarding problem (the university mail system, not FM), the fastmail support personnel (even though not their problem) helped the clueless alumni department. Very nice of them, and above and beyond the call of duty. No service interruptions, full compatibility with Apple mail, and reasonably priced storage options.
bonorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2012, 10:13 AM   #345
thymara

I am neither a business user nor a power user, merely someone who wanted to be able to manage email using my own domain. The UI needed to be simple, intuitive and not mouse intensive. I use Skitch a lot and wanted the ability to drag and drop images inline. Ample storage for record keeping was a necessity.

I started with the "beta", quickly discovering that what couldn't be done there could be accomplished using what has since become the "classic". I particularly like that most shortcuts can be discovered by hovering the mouse over the buttons, saving me discovery time when I forget which is which. I must state that I seldom use the Fastmail UI unless I'm travelling. My app of choice is Apple's mail.app with the plugin Herald. Herald allows me to read and process all my email usually with minimal interaction and since Fastmail can be set up to automatically place mail in the folders that I want I seldom have the need to use any Fastmail UI. Bottom line, the transition between interfaces was essentially transparent for me.

Fastmail works quickly and efficiently for me, I recently signed for 2 years and my only regret would be the Facebook rumour coming true. Accomplishing my Fastmail objectives was easy, documentation was adequate and the forums have been a wealth of information and ideas.

Thank you Fastmail!
thymara is offline   Reply With Quote