EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Jun 2017, 01:59 AM   #1
truthseeker

Apple Mail Fastmail setup Help

I've set up my domain email with Fastmail which was pretty easy. The problem is Apple Mail will not let me set up my Fastmail account. I get a screen that asks for my full name, email address and password and a Sign In box at the bottom. It doesn't give me a box that says Create. When I add the info and click on the Sign In box, red text says my account name or password can't be verified.

The server boxes are greyed out and even if I fill them in, the same thing happens. This is happening on my iMac and MacBook both running El Capitan and Mail 9.3. Has anyone else had this issue? Googled it online and seems folks are having problems like this with Hotmail and other providers. Any help would be appreciated.
truthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Jun 2017, 04:34 AM   #2
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

I started having similar problems just a few hours ago (around noon in the Eastern time zone, USA). Suddenly both Apple Mail on my Mac and IOS Mail on my phone are refusing to accept my password and continue to throw various error messages at me, including telling me that they cannot verify my account. This is after years of faithful service on both the computer and phone, with rarely a glitch. Now I can't connect to Fastmail on either device.

Other e-mail clients, including Thunderbird, are still working fine, so I can only assume this is an Apple problem.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 04:49 AM   #3
truthseeker

Thanks. I played around and got it to create an account but still having the verification issue. First time trying to set up an email act w/ElCapitan (mail 9.3).
Old 6 Jun 2017, 05:45 AM   #4
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Finally got things working on my phone by updating to IOS 10.3.2, which I had been putting off for a while. Have not been back to the computer to check Apple Mail again, but I also have a pending OSX update on that machine, so perhaps I will get lucky again.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 04:51 AM   #5
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

You should be using app passwords. Are you? There's info about them in the help system.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:05 AM   #6
truthseeker

got Apple Mail to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfolson View Post
Finally got things working on my phone by updating to IOS 10.3.2, which I had been putting off for a while. Have not been back to the computer to check Apple Mail again, but I also have a pending OSX update on that machine, so perhaps I will get lucky again.
I went to the Apple Store and the key is using the same text in the Description and Name boxes on the first screen after you select "Other Mail Acct." i used my domain name sans the .com, but I guess you could use whatever you want. i believe AM wants them to be the same. Also for FM, you have to create an App Password that is different from the password you created to access webmail. they create a secure one for you. And that's the one you use to set up your AM client. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!
Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:11 AM   #7
truthseeker

Yes I just figured that out. FM sent me an email saying I tried to get into their imap/smtp servers with my admin password, so I let them create a secure app password. That was half the problem. The other part was that Apple Mail wants you to use the same name in the description and name boxes the you add the account.
Thanks for the reminder!
Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:14 AM   #8
truthseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvey View Post
You should be using app passwords. Are you? There's info about them in the help system.

Yes I just figured that out. FM sent me an email saying I tried to get into their imap/smtp servers with my admin password, so I let them create a secure app password. That was half the problem. The other part was that Apple Mail wants you to use the same name in the description and name boxes when you add the account.
Thanks for the reminder!
Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:45 AM   #9
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

My issues corrected themselves within a few hours -- obviously, just a temporary glitch. The sudden appearance of the problems, combined with truthseeker's original post reporting a similar-sounding issue, led me to believe there might be something bigger going on. But apparently not. Everything was fine beforehand and has been fine since, so it was just a short-term bump in the road.

And yes, I've been using app passwords all along.