EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 Mar 2016, 01:08 PM   #1
ystagars

Question Using T-Online Freemail outside of Germany?

Greetings.

This is my first post on this website but I always enjoyed reading the forum for many years.

I'd like to ask anyone using t-online.de Freemail service outside of Germany what their experience is like. I have registered my account in Germany but I am afraid to use it outside. On several forums there were stories about GMX.NET (not to be confused with GMX.COM) shutting people down who used their accounts internationally and I wonder if Telekom does the same thing.

I really enjoy T-Online and wouldn't like to lose it. Thank you for any responses.
ystagars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Mar 2016, 08:04 AM   #2
ystagars

Update:

I decided to answer my own question and get in touch with Telekom and GMX.NET to see what they would say about this:

1. Telekom said they do not close user email accounts if they are used internationally except for "security reasons", whatever that means.

2. GMX.NET customer support said their service is for "German-speaking residents" but, supposedly, they also don't shut down international user accounts if a valid mailing address is on file. You cannot change the country of residence in your profile except to Austria and Switzerland. I imagine WEB.DE has a similar policy, though when I registered my accounts with them last year, I was able to change my residence address (including country) to USA in Kundencenter.
ystagars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2017, 05:07 AM   #3
Zach

Thanks for the information. T-Online seem pretty good.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2017, 05:33 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

I'm pretty sure you could use a VPN to make it look like you are sending emails from within Germany no matter where you are located, if that was important to you. Though with the vagaries of the Internet, I'm not certain how reliable IP address tracking is with regard to pinpointing the country a certain email is coming from.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote