EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Apr 2006, 04:19 AM   #1
jwm

SMS failures of late

I have some rules set up so that I get a text message to my mobile phone whenever an email comes in that satisfies certain rules.

For the past few weeks I've not been getting texts and when I look at the message sending log the messages are all marked "sent" rather than "delivered" as used to be the case.

Am I correct in thinking that Fastmail's SMS service is connected in some way with VGS Mail? I ask because I've changed some of my rules to send a message to VGS Mail when an email comes in and these texts aren't getting through either.

A long time ago, before Fastmail offered SMS messaging, I used to use VGS Mail and there came a time when no messages got through. The man who rang VGS Mail made some adjustments and things started to work again. VGS Mail seems to be semi-dormant now and my email asking them for help has not been answered.

How can I make VGS Mail OR Fastmail's texts work again!!??
jwm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Apr 2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I am in AU and mine is working ok.......

Must be something to do with you script.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2006, 03:35 AM   #3
jwm

I can't see that my script is at fault? I've got it set to send to the number in this form:

004407962123456@sms

I've also tried sending an email from the web interface the above format and it never arrives.

I've tried sending to another mobile number I have and that doesn't arrive either.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 03:36 AM   #4
jwm

Error in my last post

The example number I used has a zero after the 0044 but the number I actually use doesn't so that's not the problem!
Old 24 Apr 2006, 11:42 AM   #5
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
We do use vgsmail, but Geoff is closing the service down. We are going to change to another provider, but I can't decide which one because all of them seem to have problems at different times

Bletch, SMS is just too unreliable, and more of a headache than it seems to be worth... If anyone has any good suggestions, please let me know...

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2006, 05:36 PM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Mine is still working....try leaving out the two 00 at the start....
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:09 PM   #7
JasonWard
Cornerstone of the Community

Rob, have PM you about SMS providers, can you confirm receipt? Sorry I've never used the PM service before here or any discussion board and I don't know if they are reliable, work... or even paid attention to.

Jason
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:09 PM   #8
acid

It doesnt really seem worth it to go through all the headaches of SMS. Especially since just about every provider provides an email address that sends as SMS on thier end. Is there some worthy advantage im missing?

I have sieve forward anything to my main account to my SMS email address and its been way more reliable that way.

Alot of people may not know their provider supports it so heres a list of common carriers:

Verizon 10digit#@vtext.com
AT&T Wireless (Cingular Blue TDMA) 10digit#@mmode.com
Nextel 10digit#@messaging.nextel.com
T-Mobile 10digit#@tmomail.net
Cingular (Orange GSM) 10digit#@cingularme.com
SprintPCS 10digit#@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Alltel 10digit#@message.alltel.com
US Cellular 10digit#@uscc.textmsg.com
acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

That's really good but I cant work out the code for an Aussie one....
Old 25 Apr 2006, 06:59 PM   #10
eggman
Essential Contributor

the sms option via email seems to be provided only by US carriers unfortunatly....
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2006, 07:13 PM   #11
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I can use Optus but it costs $0.25 per sms
Old 25 Apr 2006, 09:10 PM   #12
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Don't they all charge you for an SMS sent via their email gateway anyway? Or is it free? Anyone know the cost?

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2006, 11:24 PM   #13
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

I've used Ipipi a bit for e-mail to SMS and they seem relaible and well priced. I also have a trial account with 24x and they have potential. Both are in the International SMS market.

Anyone else had any experience with them?
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2006, 12:58 AM   #14
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
Don't they all charge you for an SMS sent via their email gateway anyway? Or is it free? Anyone know the cost?

Rob
In the US, it depends on carrier and on the plan. With some plans with Verizon for example the recipient gets so many free SMS per month such as 100. Other plans charge 0.10 per message. Same for sending from cell phone. Of course, if one sends SMS from smtp e-mail, no charge to sender, you just have to knwo the part after the @sign. In other words you need to know the cell phone carrier for the person that you want to message.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2006, 03:02 AM   #15
jwm

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenman
I've used Ipipi a bit for e-mail to SMS and they seem relaible and well priced. I also have a trial account with 24x and they have potential. Both are in the International SMS market.

Anyone else had any experience with them?
Now I think about it I have an account with ipipi which I have not used for ages. Can you set it up so that an email received by ipipi will cause your mobile phone to get sent a text?