EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 1 Oct 2008, 06:35 AM   #1
aleinss

Tuffmail increasing prices

I just checked Tuffmail.com today and just noticed they went from yearly rates to monthly rates. I currently pay $28/year for 1GB of mail quota and 2GB for data transfer. Under the new plan, it would be $43.20/year! I think this is getting a bit much for e-mail. It was $25 in 2005, $28 in 2006/2007and now $43.20?

Luckily, this is domain hosted, so all I have to do is point my MX record to a new IP address and it's done. I guess I'll see what my invoice says when it comes next month.
aleinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Oct 2008, 07:25 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Did you actually check with support that yearly rates are now diminished. I would doubt they would do that - it might just be a mistake on the webpage.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2008, 11:18 AM   #3
aleinss

You're right: I should check with tech support before shooting off my mouth. I noticed from my 2005 invoice a monthly rate of $4.95 was given, but I only paid $24.95 for the year. However, this monthly rate was dropped from subsequent invoices in 2006 and 2007. The rate on the front page was always given by year; now they give it by month.

I checked Fastmail.fm and they are now up for $40/year for the same services I get here.

Last edited by aleinss : 1 Oct 2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

If you choose Free 30 Day Trial you'll see the yearly rate: $ 36,= a year.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2008, 09:58 PM   #5
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleinss View Post
I just checked Tuffmail.com today and just noticed they went from yearly rates to monthly rates. I currently pay $28/year for 1GB of mail quota and 2GB for data transfer. Under the new plan, it would be $43.20/year! I think this is getting a bit much for e-mail. It was $25 in 2005, $28 in 2006/2007and now $43.20?

Luckily, this is domain hosted, so all I have to do is point my MX record to a new IP address and it's done. I guess I'll see what my invoice says when it comes next month.
Unless TM changed their policy, old accounts are grandfathered, i.e., your subscription fee stays the same regardless of price hikes for new subscriptions.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2008, 10:17 PM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
Unless TM changed their policy, old accounts are grandfathered, i.e., your subscription fee stays the same regardless of price hikes for new subscriptions.
They sometimes just grandfather the price for one year and then raise prices the following year, at least that was my experience (this happened to me a few years ago, when I had the account that cost about $16 a year at that time)
Old 1 Oct 2008, 11:53 PM   #7
aleinss

John Capo has spoken!

Your account rebills at the same rate as when it was created. Prices have
increased several times but we do honor pricing in effect when an account
was created. We are slowly dropping annual billing for accounting reasons.

Whew!
Old 2 Oct 2008, 12:05 AM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

I just tool a look at the pricing table. Tuffmail's low level account prices are still reasonable, they are however extraordinary high for anyone wanting more than 1 GB of storage.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 03:14 AM   #9
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
I just renewed, and the annual rate option was $36, while last year I paid $40. Not sure why it went down. (This is for 1GB shared storage for two mailboxes).
lane is offline   Reply With Quote