EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 22 Jan 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
radtux

Suggest a VPN Service

I need a VPN service to be able to access the websites like Hulu and Netflix. However, there are plethora of service providers and it is impossible to decide between anyone of them.

1) I use Open Suse Linux so the request should be routed through the Gnome Network interface.

2) The speed of access is paramount; I don't want an ip address to be shared with any other user to the detriment of each one of us.

3) Straightforward billing and good customer support is paramount.

Any pointers or suggestions would be more than welcome! Thanks in advance.
radtux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jan 2012, 09:32 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I use witopia.net.

1) they say that they support Linux – "as long as you have a working knowledge of it" I run it on Windows
2) speed is sufficient for youtube (I'm sure the actual speed depends of your location and the gateway you connect to)
3) billing is straightforward (pay monthly or annually). I contacted customer services once or twice and the response was very quick.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2012, 10:22 PM   #3
rblon
Essential Contributor

These days you can get a VPS for less than $5 per month. You can then proxy your internet connection via a SSH tunnel (eg see here). It's pretty simple and a VPS gives you much more functionality than a VPN service.
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2012, 01:43 AM   #4
radtux

Well, I did check out witopia.net and found them deficient on several counts:

1) They insist on installing a separate client; I detest that. Linux doesn't work. You have to buy their service first before they give you certificates. There is no monthly service for open VPN at all. Epic Fail.

2) Their encryption, at best, is just 128 bits. Not the industry standard 256.

3) Customer support leaves a lot to be desired. The first email was answered in about an hour and a second email was answered in about 4 hours. That doesn't work.

4) No trial account to check for the latency issues.

5) I am assuming that they also share the ip addresses and their web site has a lot of BS spewed all over.

I settled in for Tunnelr. The best part is that they are offering 25 MB of "trial account" and all of it is open vpn by default. Despite the geographical distance, the ping times are not that bad (my ISP is really bad though), so I haven't noticed a degradation of performance as yet.

They also offer an unlimited monthly pass. Haven't checked their support system as yet, but I'd revert to this forum at a later date.

Thanks!
Old 23 Jan 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtux View Post
I need a VPN service to be able to access the websites like Hulu and Netflix.
Quote:
[...]
2) Their encryption, at best, is just 128 bits. Not the industry standard 256.
I understand the films you're going to watch on Hulu and Netflix need a military-grade encryption
Old 23 Jan 2012, 06:41 PM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

More seriously:
Quote:
[...]
5) I am assuming that they also share the ip addresses

I settled in for Tunnelr.
With Tunnler there is no need to assume IP sharing, They do it, see https://www.tunnelr.com/faq/index.php/article/ip-usage
Old 23 Jan 2012, 09:52 PM   #7
radtux

"Military grade encryption" for watching Hulu and Netflix !

I almost died laughing. Didnt even realize that I was tattling like a fool!!

Nevertheless, I am new to the whole VPN thingy. Since I have just signed up for a month, that would at least help me to know about the innards of the service, including support etc.

I'd keep you updated!

Thanks for the pointers anyway.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 03:55 PM   #8
radtux

This is a spam post. The author has linked to a spammy advertising site. Editor please note and delete or lock this thread.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 06:29 PM   #9
koren

I chose my VPN from this vpn review website: http://www.starvpnreviews.com

Right now are available some great discounts and offers from different VPN providers.
koren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2012, 06:20 AM   #10
CarlS

I use and Im very happy with the service Anonine. It is a Swedish based service which, compared to its price, has great speed and keep no logs hence one is untraceable. US based VPN-services are, if Im correctly informed, obliged by law to keep logs and cooperate with authorities. The Swedish law permits VPN-services to not keep any logs it does not permit authorities to compel a provider to monitor a specific user.

I researched the market for VPN services quite extensively. If a Swedish ip-address is not a problem for you I would highly recommend Anonine and some of the other Swedish VPN-services due to laws in Sweden (not) regulating VPN-services.

Anonine provides both PPTP and OpenVPN.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2014, 03:42 PM   #11
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

You may wish to try Steganos Online Shield (Windows & Android). The free version allows 500MB per month.