EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 28 Sep 2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Empath

Emailias is closing

I received an email from Emailias, announcing that all services would cease on November 5. I really hate to see them go, since I considered them the best targeted address service around. I used them not only for the emailias.com addresses, but also for three of my own domains.

Even though it was a paid service, it was well worth it.
Empath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Sep 2010, 05:20 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

The Emailias web site still allows to sign up for a Trial Membership (free for 60 days....)
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Empath

I guess it's true. It's Nov 5, and it's gone. It's a shame.
Empath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Madmyke

Angry Emaillias

I am really angry. I never received any email from Emaillias about this cancelation of services. Now I "discover" the issue because I din't received any mail from yesterday. I had renew my subscription 6 month ago :-( and the more unacceptable, I didn't have the time to save a list of my existing Emailias adresses .

With absolutely no tools now to retreive this list. The minimum was to send a list before closing.

some years ago I do decide to go to non free services (coming from Spammotel) to have a better service (reliability) and a chance to have a stable solution, but I should admit that pay people to work is NOT a good idea.

We cannot trust to anybody. and Emailias VERY deceiving me because by their fault I am now in trouble and paid for nothing

In my country they can have a law procedure for that

Any idea of any other offer ? Free this time, as paying does not grand any security at all.

Last edited by Madmyke : 7 Nov 2010 at 05:52 AM.
Madmyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 03:55 AM   #5
Vin

I didn't get any warning either. If they knew a month in advance, they should have been sending weekly reminder notices! The way the closing was handled was inexcusably unprofessional.

Not only that, but I just renewed my annual subscription a WEEK ago and they processed the payment without so much as a word. Unconscionable. I'll be disputing that charge with my credit card company today.

Fortunately I had at least downloaded a spreadsheet of all my emailiases about 6 weeks ago. Without that I'd be out for blood. Even with that information it is a major ordeal notifying all my contacts and changing everything. I don't even want to imagine what it would be like without it. I feel for you.

After doing a few hours of research, it appears to me that Spamex offers a service that comes closest to what Emailias was like, so I opened an account with them today. I hope they stick around. Sigh.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 04:25 AM   #6
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Arrow Just an FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
After doing a few hours of research, it appears to me that Spamex offers a service that comes closest to what Emailias was like, so I opened an account with them today. I hope they stick around. Sigh.
Hello,

Not sure if this applies or not, However, here is a thread regarding Spamex:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...ghlight=spamex

Thought you should know if you don't already.

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 04:57 AM   #7
Madmyke

so bad

Ok as Vin I decide to test this service but the post replied now was really not a good news.
Is there any service like this that seems to be acceptable ? It should exist in the world isn't it ? But on mian search on google more free service offer only limited time disposable adresses, or limited number. Spammotel is free, works well, with non limited adresses, replies are possible and hide, but sometime, it took 2 days to one month to send email
Old 8 Nov 2010, 05:13 AM   #8
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Arrow Just a Sugguestion

Hello,

I don't have an account here, however, you may want to check this service out:

http://www.spamgourmet.com/

Just a suggestion

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 05:20 AM   #9
Madmyke

Spamgourmet

Thank you for the proposal (and help).
Unfortunately, I already read this page, same problem. Free service, but the limitation here is the number of mails that you could use for one Redisposable adress. The maximum is 20. When the limit is reached, the RA is deleted automaticaly.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 05:52 AM   #10
aengler

It's a pity

It's really a pity that Emailias does not exist any more. I just discovered it now, I never saw a warning (but I don't think a warning would have helped much, anyway). I have just paid the annual fee a few weeks ago, but I don't mind about that; I have been using Emailias for years, was always satisfied and found it was well worth its price.

I don't think any of the other services offers anything close to what Emailias offered. There are quite a few services for throwaway addresses. But that is something quite different, what I mainly appreciated about Emailias is that it offered normal addresses without any special limitations that can be used for long-term contacts (which, for example, the limited addresses of spamgourmet cannot). I used Emailias for most of my contacts, even if I thought that the likelihood that the address would go to spammers was low - usually there is still some risk, and the work involved in giving up a single emailias (that was only given to one person, organization or website) is much smaller than the work involved in getting a new e-mail address altogether because the old one was somehow leaked to spammers.

Even if there was something similar to emailias, I would be quite sceptical whether the service would not soon be discontinued, as well. I looked at some link lists for such services, and they contain quite a few dead links. In the next weeks I will have a lot of work updating my e-mail address on many websites (I just have to hope that I still know the passwords because I will not be able to get them via e-mail any more...) and notify many people. I don't want to go through that again in the future when another service I would choose now was discontinued, as well.

For me personally, the best replacement for emailias is now getting my own personal domain from a provider a that offers the server-side configuration/mailbox application with unlimited mailboxes and forwarding. That comes relatively close to what emailias offered, although it is clearly not as convenient.

I wonder why Emailias closed. Wasn't it profitable? As far as I can tell, it was really the best service of this kind, and I would certaily have been ready to pay a bit more. I think such a service should not be discontinued, at all, it should be possible to find someone who is willing to continue it if the previous owner doesn't want any more, and if it really had to be discontinued, this should have been announced a long time in advance with repeated notifications.
aengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2010, 02:45 AM   #11
JBattin

Red face Emailias closed?

I never received an email from emailias saying they were closing. But they did have some recent issues with downtime, or was it something else? This time is different than the past downtimes though. The domain no longer exists, so all of the email bounces after so many tries.

This is beyond irritating - I have over 500 emailias addresses and I don't have a list of the addresses.

They should work to sell the business rather than close down. Unfortunately, there was never a company address or phone # on their site.

This sucks major!
JBattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2010, 03:12 AM   #12
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Whois returns
Quote:
Registrant:
Name Administration Inc. (BVI)
Box 10518 A.P.O.
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands B.W.I.
KY

Domain name: EMAILALIAS.COM

Administrative Contact:
Domain, Administrator
Box 10518 A.P.O.
KY
+1.345.946.6879
Technical Contact:
Domain, Administrator
Box 10518 A.P.O.
KY
+1.345.946.6879
I'm not sure whether this really helps
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2010, 10:33 AM   #13
norbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmyke View Post
Thank you for the proposal (and help).
Unfortunately, I already read this page, same problem. Free service, but the limitation here is the number of mails that you could use for one Redisposable adress. The maximum is 20. When the limit is reached, the RA is deleted automaticaly.
You can put a recipient or domain as a trusted sender and it won't advance the email account. For instance, I could put amazon.com as a trusted sender and the count would never advance.

I never got an email from emailias either. If they sent it from a non-emailias domain, my Norton might have deleted it automatically.
norbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2010, 10:44 AM   #14
Vin

@janusz
>> Domain name: EMAILALIAS.COM<<
That spelling is different. Are you sure that's the same company??

@EdwinWolfPA
>> Not sure if this applies or not, However, here is a thread regarding Spamex: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...ghlight=spamex
Thought you should know if you don't already.<<

Thanks for the warning, but it was too late. I'd already paid.

My assessment of spamex so far:
Obviously I have no way to evaluate the long-term viability of the service. I admit it doesn't sound promising, but I just couldn't bring myself to go back to no pin-point control over all my email contacts. I'm spoiled.

They have a couple of interesting features that Emailias didn't have, but they aren't ones that are terribly useful to me, so they still don't make up for the features that are lacking. Nonetheless, they are the closest thing to Emailias out there, that I can find anyway.

Things I miss the most so far:
1) No Reply Generator. They do have the capability of clicking "send" next to a spamex online, which allows you to originate an email message from the spamex to the recipient (and copy yourself, if you wish). This is better than nothing, but not as good as Reply Generator. For one thing, you still have to wait for a reply to come from the recipient before you have their spamex response address.

2) No way that I can see to download a copy of the database of all your spamex addresses. Believe me, this time I'm keeping my own spreadsheet! I don't know what I would have done this weekend without the one I had downloaded from Emailias and I can really feel the pain of those who didn't.

3) No way to list multiple domain names with one spamex. You can USE them for more than one domain, but you can only enter one as the "official" one.

4) No way to organize spamex addresses in folders. You just get a list. However the list is filterable in various ways and also searchable, so it's not too godawful.

5) Minor irritant: no auto-select of the address after it's been created; you have to manually highlight it yourself.

I am sure there are more differences that would probably irritate the heck out of other Emailias users, but for the way I used it, these are the biggest differences I notice. So far.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2010, 11:16 AM   #15
norbl

Yahoo Plus allows you to create 500 disposable email addresses. I'm not sure how many I had with emailias so I don't know if that would be enough. I haven't checked whether they can be forwarded to a non-Yahoo account either. I liked the reply masked feature in Emailias. Yahoo plus is $19.95 a year. I also haven't seen whether you can download the list in spreadsheet format.
norbl is offline   Reply With Quote