EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 21 May 2020, 08:57 PM   #16
TenFour
Master of the @

Did you report the problem to Porkbun? I've found their customer service is responsive. Haven't had that issue myself, and I do pay by credit card. It may have to do with zip codes vs. postal codes and how they are entered.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 09:00 PM   #17
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Did you report the problem to Porkbun?
CBA reporting, as I could use an alternative form of payment.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 01:21 AM   #18
ReuvenNY

I have all my domains with namesilo.com
Should I consider moving them to Porkbun? If yes - why?
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 06:50 AM   #19
TenFour
Master of the @

I used to use NameSilo, but gradually moved all my domains away to Porkbun. At the time, a few years ago, NameSilo's interface was straight out of the 1990's. Functional, but felt like you were working in a time warp of the web. Their consumer-facing web is now more sleek looking, but I don't know what their domain controls are like. I bought a new domain from Porkbun because the price was right, then found I much preferred their domain management page where everything was in one area with easy to use controls, and help documents that were clear and concise. At NameSilo you used to have to hop all over the place to do many basic things and I didn't find it user friendly. For example, to transfer domains out you had to really hunt for the instructions. I moved some domains in and out at Porkbun and it is easy to understand and fast, and the help documents really tell you what to do. Things may have changed at NameSilo, and if you like the way things are working probably no huge advantage in moving.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 03:37 PM   #20
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
NameSilo's interface was straight out of the 1990's. Functional, but felt like you were working in a time warp of the web. Their consumer-facing web is now more sleek looking, but I don't know what their domain controls are like.
Their "consumer-facing web" has undergone a change (personally I preferred the old one) but the domain controls are (currently) still in the old style.

I think it's just a case of being used to the interface and knowing what's where, etc.

In addition to having domains at NameSilo and Porkbun, I am also (currently) using Namecheap and Gandi.

Whenever I've had cause to contact support for any of the above, I've never encountered problems that would make me want to move my domain(s) out.

If, ReuvenNY, overall you're happy with NameSilo, there's no particular reason to change to Porkbun.

Of course, you can always transfer a domain over to Porkbun, to check it out.
Old 22 May 2020, 05:49 PM   #21
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

FYI, Porkbun doesn’t support wildcards on email forwarding. Webmail is Roundcube, but a rather old version.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 07:34 PM   #22
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
In addition to having domains at NameSilo and Porkbun, I am also (currently) using Namecheap and Gandi.
Any preference, Fred?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 08:04 PM   #23
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Any preference, Fred?
Currently I have 15 domains registered, and 9 of them are with Gandi.

The domains at Gandi are one's that I intend to hold on to for the longer term, Gandi is more expensive than other registrars but they include mailboxes (using Roundcube and SOGO).

A few years ago, up until 2017, they offered 5 x 1GB mailboxes per domain, then changed it to 2 x 3GB mailboxes. But because I already had my domains/mailboxes, they changed my 5 x 1GB to 5 x 3GB per domain.

So there at Gandi, with all my domains, I have multiple mailboxes - each with multiple GB storage and aliases.

So, quite cost effective in that respect.

As for the other registrars I use, they're mainly used for domains I may want for a shorter time - I may keep domains for longer or ditch after a year.