EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Oct 2004, 10:22 PM   #1
fryr

Which Mail Server am I on ?

I have searched the forums for a thread I once read which detailed how to find out which server your account was homed on - but guess what - I can no longer find it.

Can anyone remember how to find this information out.

There was also some discussion about using this as a shortcut link i.e. https://www.fastmail.fm/mail4/...

Thanks In Advance.
Richard.
fryr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Oct 2004, 02:33 AM   #2
xlr9

Re: Which Mail Server am I on ?

Quote:
Originally posted by fryr
I have searched the forums for a thread I once read which detailed how to find out which server your account was homed on - but guess what - I can no longer find it.

Can anyone remember how to find this information out.

There was also some discussion about using this as a shortcut link i.e. https://www.fastmail.fm/mail4/...

Thanks In Advance.
Richard.
open a recent mail message. view in raw view:

Received: from mx2.messagingengine.com (mx2.internal [10.202.2.201])
by server1 .messagingengine.com (Cyrus v2.3-alpha) with LMTPA;
Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:04:59 -0400

the server in this example is "server1"
xlr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 05:15 AM   #3
fryr

Thanks

Thank You for that - I am on Server 4 - I think that is for enhanced user's.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 05:40 AM   #4
xlr9

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by fryr
Thank You for that - I am on Server 4 - I think that is for enhanced user's.
I have an enhanced account, but I am stuck on server1. I'm nore sure why. Maybe it's coz I signed up for a free account (then became member, then became enhanced). Does any1 kno the real deal with enhanced account transition/s to server4?
xlr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 06:15 AM   #5
BetaTester
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by xlr9
I have an enhanced account, but I am stuck on server1. I'm nore sure why. Maybe it's coz I signed up for a free account (then became member, then became enhanced). Does any1 kno the real deal with enhanced account transition/s to server4?
I'm enhanced too, and in server2.
Jeremy said before that some of us will be left in others servers, but in different storage units...
BetaTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 06:46 AM   #6
pcs
Essential Contributor

I've always been an "enhanced" user and I'm also on server 2. Why haven't we also been moved over to the server reserved for enhanced accounts, or is server 2 also for these accounts?
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 10:34 AM   #7
Starion
Essential Contributor

I had to "Switch to Advanced screen" before I saw the option "Raw view." Thanks for the info xlr9! I am on Server1.
Starion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 01:00 PM   #8
cheeky

Well, as I understand it, server4 is no different from the other servers; some Enhanced accounts were moved to it simply because of the space requirements (2Gb each). I dont think anyone will notice any performance differences between the servers at all, especially with the web frontend now being load-balanced.

There are some forum members that have accounts on multiple servers including server 4. Have you noticed any difference?

I think many people have received the impression that there is something special or magical about server4, which *I suspect* is not true.
cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 01:09 PM   #9
pcs
Essential Contributor

If that's the case, then what do you guys make of this statement taken from the most recent fastmail newsletter? By the way, I am not saying that there is anything wrong here, I am just trying to understand how this works. This seems to give the impression that full and enhanced accounts will be distinct:

"Additionally Full and Enhanced users will see the benefit of an extra server to provide dedicated storage space for these accounts."
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 01:15 PM   #10
cheeky

I see your point.

All I can find is the following statement from Jeremy:

Quote:
"those still on other servers were moved to separate storage units (so should still be faster)."
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...087#post258087
Old 6 Oct 2004, 01:41 PM   #11
Sherry

Sounds like Jeremy is saying the new server4 is a "faster" server. If that's true I can't understand why some Full accounts got on it without first getting the Enhanced accounts put on???

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...663#post254663

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 01:44 PM   #12
cheeky

OK, I stand corrected :-)
Old 6 Oct 2004, 04:36 PM   #13
fryr

Is it too late to say I am sorry

I was very surprised this morning when I checked this thread to find such activity.
I simply wanted to know what to change my shortcut to so that I connected directly to the server housing my account.
It would not make sense to have all enhanced accounts on one server - can you imagine the distruption if that server was not available - all enhanced accounts unavailable.
If it's not too late then "Sorry" for stirring things up.

Richard
Old 6 Oct 2004, 04:56 PM   #14
cheeky

Heh, this is tame my EMD standards, don't worry.

I don't think anyone here is upset/annoyed about anything though, my impression is that its mild interest :-)
Old 6 Oct 2004, 09:07 PM   #15
greenplum
Essential Contributor

Copy of an email sent to support re the above question as I was under the impression that all Enhanced were to be put on S4

MAIL RE TWO MINOR PROBLEMS
Good Morning Kurian,
Yes as you say the account problems link fixed it (wish everything was that easy!!)
What about other re server 1 and server 4 ... Am I reading the header incorrect or not . It really doesn't make any difference to me as both have been minor problematic in one way or another it's just I gather you want all the Enhanced accounts together on server 4

ANSWER...
Yes, that means you are on server1. If I recall correctly, Jeremy
mentioned that he will be moving the large Enhanced account(and probably new accounts) to s4. So I guess your account probably didn't fit the category!
Kurian

Seems to answer the above query
greenplum is offline   Reply With Quote