EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: How many people are using IMAP with Outlook XP>
Yes 3 30.00%
No 5 50.00%
Not using IMAP 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Dec 2001, 12:47 PM   #1
creed205

Question Deleting emails with Outlook using IMAP

I currently have Outlook XP (2002) running at work, at home and on my laptop. When I access the server using Outlook and I delete a message, it simply crosses the info out but doens't take the message off the server.

How can I actually delete the message without accessing the web interface?

POLL: How many people are using IMAP and Outlook XP?
creed205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Dec 2001, 01:14 PM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Choose 'Purge' from the Edit menu to remove the message. (I don't have XP--let me know if it's changed).
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2001, 01:16 PM   #3
pobelly
Cornerstone of the Community

look for a 'purge' command somewhere in the menus...

can't tell ya where, 'cause i'm not one of the people using outlook xp... for the poll...
pobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2001, 01:18 PM   #4
pobelly

!@$# happened again...

next time, jeremy, i'll check and see if yer already on the board before i try and save ya an answer...

...since you obviously type faster than i do.
Old 20 Dec 2001, 01:28 PM   #5
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I've noticed that--we always seem to answer the same question at the same time!

Actually, I'm getting a bit busy at the moment with trying to improve the FAQ and trying to keep Visto people happy and stuff. Maybe I'll just check the forum a couple of times a day and just answer the questions that no-one else has been able to... That way more people can contribute, and I can concentrate on improving FastMail.FM, but the tricky questions will still get answered by me just a few hours later...
Old 20 Dec 2001, 03:23 PM   #6
pobelly

Quote:
Actually, I'm getting a bit busy at the moment with trying to improve the FAQ and trying to keep Visto people happy and stuff. Maybe I'll just check the forum a couple of times a day and just answer the questions that no-one else has been able to... That way more people can contribute, and I can concentrate on improving FastMail.FM
as i see it, that's one of the primary advantges to having a discussion forum as opposed to only a tech support address... we don't want you gettin' TOO underslept.
Old 20 Dec 2001, 08:17 PM   #7
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I've been thinking about this some more since I posted. I've been discussing with Rob recently that our next big scalability issue is going to be support. Currently I'm doing about 50 webmaster replies per day, plus what you see on the forum. At some point in the next few weeks with the current growth this will become untenable.

I'm going to re-jig the FAQ (tomorrow, if all goes according to plan) so that the webmaster@ address is not in the footer, but instead there's a link to a new FAQ part which explains how to troubleshoot problems, how to find answers to questions answered elsewhere, what kind of stuff is best posted to the forum, and what kind of stuff is best sent to webmaster. For sending stuff to webmaster, I might force people to go through another page to find the address to use, and on this page lay out exactly what information needs to be provided in a support request. 70% of emails say something like "I'm trying to use FastMail.FM and it doesn't work and my brother said it's Outlook virus. Please help!"...

Another thing I'm wondering about is specifying maybe 2 specific times a day when I'll look at the forum. That way everyone knows when outstanding questions will get answered, I can do everything in a batch at once, and helpful folks who can answer questions in the meantime know that their typing won't be redundent because I'm half way through writing something anyway.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing any ideas for how to reduce the support workload on Rob and I so we can concentrate on coding, and improve the ability of everyone else to get involved in helping each other out, while still keeping FastMail.FM's name for fast and effective support alive and well. Any pointers to other places that have innovative and effective mechanisms would be useful, or if you've got a brand new idea let us know!
Old 20 Dec 2001, 09:14 PM   #8
ikxu

Wink my two cents

Yes, fastmail is know for its support system.
You may want to have a very strong FAQ and explain everything there. Also you may want to say somewhere that questions don't addressed there may be answered by going to the Email Discussions Forum and offer a link to it. If the question is still not answered to the customer's satisfaction then contact the webmaster.
ikxu
ikxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2001, 08:04 AM   #9
creed205

THANK YOU!

Thank you very much guys! I appreciate you helping out.... I found the option, didn't see it the first time I went nosing through the menus.

THANKS AGAIN!
creed205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2001, 10:12 AM   #10
pobelly

Quote:
I'm going to re-jig the FAQ (tomorrow, if all goes according to plan) so that the webmaster@ address is not in the footer, but instead there's a link to a new FAQ part which explains how to troubleshoot problems, how to find answers to questions answered elsewhere, what kind of stuff is best posted to the forum, and what kind of stuff is best sent to webmaster.
that sounds like a good plan... the answer to a lot of questions might be "RTFM", but it's easier for a (more-or-less) kind-hearted person to give that answer if 'TFM' is well maintained, easy to find, and conveniently searchable... i think you guys could easily lead the pack in this arena... you may already.
Quote:
Another thing I'm wondering about is specifying maybe 2 specific times a day when I'll look at the forum. That way everyone knows when outstanding questions will get answered
bright (?) idea: if you state these times (along with whatever other relevant info) in a 'sticky' post at the head of this forum AT one of the times you indicate, it will make it easier for users to see the local version of that time, since it's displayed in the post (i guess this would only work if they were logged in, but that might not be so bad...)
Quote:
Any pointers to other places that have innovative and effective mechanisms would be useful,
uhhh... i could mostly only provide negative examples, and you hardly need pointers to those... but i'm sure somebody will find some models for you that represent an ideal... otherwise, hey, just wing it. you're doing pretty good so far...
Old 21 Dec 2001, 02:19 PM   #11
Shelded

I have found that unless I already know where the answer is in TFM I have some trouble knowing if/where to find it. Some sort of search would be helpful.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2001, 02:22 PM   #12
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

When you click 'FAQ' the full contents are listed. You can use your browser's find function.

A full-text search would be nice too, but probably won't happen in the next couple of months.