EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Sep 2011, 01:38 AM   #1
pbradley

Web UI regression: Selecting all displayed

Hi,

I notice that the action dropdown menu un the web UI now has a "Do" button beside it. I also notice that the "select all" checkbox is now gone. It took quite a few minutes for me to figure out that to select everything, I have to pick off "Select Displayed" from the dropdown and the click "Do". I don't know if I'm a bit slow to have only noticed this now but I don't use the web UI every day.

My question is, does someone in FM think that this is a better user interaction than the previous mechanism (clicking a single checkbox) or is this just an unfortunate regression that can't be avoided?

If it's the former then I for one would like the old way back, particularly since it can exist alongside the new mechanism. If it's the latter then I won't moan too much but just register my interest in reviving the original mechanism.

Cheers,
Phil
pbradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Sep 2011, 02:59 AM   #2
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Hello,

I use the "new" web interface all the time.......I just noticed these changes today, Tuesday, September 6th.......FM must be making changes to the FM web interface.....but I don't know why.

PS. There are numerous threads regarding other changes in The FM Current Issues Forum

David

Last edited by EdinwolfPA : 7 Sep 2011 at 03:41 AM.
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 03:56 AM   #3
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

They appear to have broken quite a few things based on the other threads. The first things I noticed this morning were that my custom buttons from tweaks.js were no longer displaying in all folders, shorctut keys were no longer working, and "Auto Do" was no longer working on the Inbox.

Now I'm getting a "Server Outage" whenever I attempt to access the site in a browser, both from here in Maryland as well as from another system I'm remoted to in Texas. I hope they roll this beta back.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2011, 05:13 AM   #4
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Server outage was unrelated, but the broken JS is a known issue[tm] - and I've filed a bug for it for the Aussies to look at today, since they get a day faster than we do here in Norway. Hopefully they can figure out what broke it.

And yes - we have been doing a lot of work on the FM interface lately, mostly to make it work better on small mobile devices - but that's no reason to break JS! It's definitely some kind of mistake.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2011, 06:20 PM   #5
pbradley

Hi brong,

Any comment on the select all functionality? Do you know if it's expected to return in its original form?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 8 Sep 2011, 08:45 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The "select all" checkbox was fixed for me when the rest of the javascript features on the Mailbox screen were fixed (over 24 hours ago).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2011, 08:55 PM   #7
pbradley

Hi,

I just noticed that the checkbox is back, great stuff. I've noticed an odd bug though, for one of my folders (and only this one), all of the items are selected when I navigate to it. Furthermore, if I change the page size, then the newly displayed items are not selected, only those in the original page.

I can log a bug if required but if this is still work in progress then it's probably not worth troubling people about.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 11 Sep 2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Drencrom
Master of the @

I still do not have the select all checkbox.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2011, 06:27 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Enabling JavaScript

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drencrom View Post
I still do not have the select all checkbox.
Then you probably have JavaScript (also called Active Scripting) disabled in your browser for the Fastmail website. Please note that JavaScript is not the same thing as Java -- you do not need to have Java installed to use JavaScript, which is a standard feature in current web browsers.
  • When JavaScript is enabled in your browser and you have a reasonably standard Fastmail setup (current interface, not using none or minimal stylesheets, not using custom styles which affect the following), then you should see the following on your Mailbox screen:
    • A checkbox is present at the top of the column containing the individual message checkboxes. This checkbox will select/deselect all visible messages only (currently shown on the Mailbox screen).
    • The sidebar (tool at the left side of the screen providing search, folder selection, and resource usage features) dividing line can be dragged left/right to change it's width, an auto hide tool appears at the bottom, and double-up-arrow and double-down-arrow buttons are present to vertically expand or contract sidebar features.
    • If keyboard shortcuts are enabled in the Fastmail Options>Account Preferences screen, then a message pointer right-pointing arrow will be visible to the left side of one of the message selection checkboxes. This pointer can be moved up and down to different messages using the j and k keys on your keyboard. Additional keyboard shortcut features are also enabled, including a popup when you use the period (.) key -- the escape key will disable this popup tool.
  • When JavaScript is disabled in your browser the Mailbox screen will be simpler:
    • No select/deselect top checkbox will be visible.
    • The sidebar will be static.
    • The message pointer and keyboard shortcut features will be disabled.
    • Other advanced user interface features will not work.
  • To enable JavaScript in the Firefox browser:
    • Go to Tools>Options>Content tab and click the Enable JavaScript box. Click OK, then reload the Fastmail screen.
  • To enable JavaScript in the Internet Explorer browser:
    • Go to the Internet Options menu using ALT-X or by clicking the gear tool.
    • In the Security tab click Custom Level...
    • Scroll down about 90% through the list to the Scripting section.
    • Click Enable for Active Scripting, then click OK twice, then reload the Fastmail screen.
  • To enable JavaScript in the Apple Safari browser:
    • Go to the Preferences menu using CTRL-, or by clicking the gear tool then Preferences.
    • Select the Security tab.
    • Click the Enable JavaScript box and close the menu, then reload the Fastmail screen.
  • To enable JavaScript in the Google Chrome browser:
    • Go to the Options menu by clicking the wrench tool then Options.
    • Select Under the Hood at the left.
    • Click Content settings... in the Privacy section.
    • In the JavaScript content section, enable Allow all sites to run JavaScript or manage the exceptions as you wish.
    • Close the Options menus, then reload the Fastmail screen.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote