EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Oct 2008, 03:12 AM   #286
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
...that would require learning even a teeny bit of css and learning a new browser just to learn FM's web client. That's a lot of learning just to use the beta and I know I'd be going back to IE after the beta.
You may be able to do something similar with IE7Pro, which adds quite a few of the more useful features from Firefox to IE7 & IE8. The user scripts feature might be able to do this, but I can't verify ATM because I'm in the office & unable to install "unapproved" software.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2008, 04:21 AM   #287
Sherry

I want to thank you very much for trying to come up with ways for me to use the newweb beta but after looking it over the Pro add-on makes to many changes to IE. I have to keep it as is or I'll try to get a customer to do something that their IE can't do. I need to keep IE and OE (Windows Mail) and even the basic OS as is (although if I could just use css from an add-on I would have tried that). Still might with Firefox for the beta if I decide to spend lots of time learning stuff for just a short beta period. I have already downloaded Firefox 3 (not installed yet) about a week ago as I occasionally get someone who calls about it (but that's rare).

Again, thanks...

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2008, 04:37 AM   #288
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
You keep saying "removal of features" and things like "a broken interface" when the fact is that the features are present, just harder to access or perform.

It may seem like splitting hairs, but criticism can only be constructive when it's true.
Ok, it is not as functional as it used to be, and a less than previously smoothly working interface. Reduction of Functionality would be a true statement, so I'll go with that. The bottom line, however it's defined, is that the new interface is not as well laid out in this feature set as the current interface is ... which is all academic since FM has not replied directly to this even one time. Big Fail.
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2008, 06:21 AM   #289
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Thanks Mystakill. I've been following that threat since the start of it and had almost decided to try it but --- that would require learning even a teeny bit of css and learning a new browser just to learn FM's web client. That's a lot of learning just to use the beta and I know I'd be going back to IE after the beta. (Firefox can't do some things I do regularly as I've tried it in the past)

Sherry
Sherry, it wouldn't involve learning any CSS -- there are already 3 versions posted & probably people will alter/play/put up more. As for learning to use a new browser for the duration of this being in beta... I'd like to see someone use FF for three months and then go back to IE. I can't even imagine it! I bet Bill Gates doesn't use IE.
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2008, 07:02 AM   #290
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamVilde View Post
I'd like to see someone use FF for three months and then go back to IE. I can't even imagine it! I bet Bill Gates doesn't use IE.
Well here's one person who did. I had Firefox on my XP PC and used it every day for months (along with IE) so I could become familiar with it. Again, there were things it couldn't do that I do every day in IE. (like sending a web page in email or save link to desktop etc). I also have customers that used FF for a long time then went back to IE because they got tired of having to use FF for most sites but having to switch to IE for a few others...

Sherry
Old 8 Oct 2008, 02:38 PM   #291
COUME
Master of the @

I am not sure what happened to the interface but the folder tree is all messed up. It looks like the CSS file changed, which cause lots of weird behaviours ans make the newweb interface unusable right now
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2008, 02:49 PM   #292
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUME View Post
I am not sure what happened to the interface but the folder tree is all messed up. It looks like the CSS file changed, which cause lots of weird behaviours ans make the newweb interface unusable right now
It has been my experience that (in general) you can expect weird behaviour, and sometimes more serious problems when you test beta products. I am amazed actually, that people are complaining at all; the beta interface has only been around for a few days.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2008, 03:06 PM   #293
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUME View Post
I am not sure what happened to the interface but the folder tree is all messed up.
Looks okay for me now. Is it still messed up for you?

Sherry
Old 8 Oct 2008, 03:08 PM   #294
COUME
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It has been my experience that (in general) you can expect weird behaviour, and sometimes more serious problems when you test beta products. I am amazed actually, that people are complaining at all; the beta interface has only been around for a few days.
David, I was not complaining, I was simply mentioning the change, should FM did not realise the issue in uploading/tweaking the new revision...
btw, if I did not want to experience some weird behaviours or to go bug hunting, I would be using the normal interface instead of /beta/ and/or /newweb/...
Old 8 Oct 2008, 03:12 PM   #295
COUME
Master of the @

Quote:
Looks okay for me now. Is it still messed up for you?

Sherry
nop, it's back to normal.

When hovering a subfolder, it was highlighting the parent folder (which name was not appearing) and all its subfolders. I guessed that FM was playing with the parent folder highlighting BUG and it seems to have been the case, as this bug is now corrected Parent folder do get bolded when they are collapse and subfolders contain unread message.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 07:12 PM   #296
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Using IE7, Vista.

Seems like all bugs are fixed to me. Working smoothly and beautifully!
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2008, 10:17 PM   #297
Mystakill

Quote:
I also have customers that used FF for a long time then went back to IE because they got tired of having to use FF for most sites but having to switch to IE for a few others...
That's what the IE Tab extension is for . It loads IE inside of a Firefox tab so that you don't have to load up two different browsers. You can "switch rendering engine" on the fly from the tab context menu. You can also define which sites or pages to always load in an IE Tab.

This extension or this one might help you with your send page as an email issue as well. I haven't tried them, so I don't know how well they work. I typically just copy & paste the page into my mail client to send it.

Extensions, standards & security are the primary reasons I've been using FF instead of IE for the past several years.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2008, 10:45 PM   #298
andretchen

Having a problem (bug?) with Drafts in new interface

Seems hard to believe, but I have replicated it TWICE, no THREE times just to be sure:

-from Compose screen, do a normal text entry - then "Save now"
-click on "Drafts" .. it is there, but empty ???

This is with Firefox 2.0.0.16 WIn XP SP3 and my machine is clean and AOK otherwise (oh, maybe this could be it ... I was in the middle of reinstalling java )
The standard interface does work fine though

Let me know .. (meantime will retest when I have reinstalled java)
Edit: OK with Java reinstalled the problem persists

Last edited by andretchen : 8 Oct 2008 at 10:57 PM.
andretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2008, 11:29 PM   #299
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by andretchen View Post
Seems hard to believe, but I have replicated it TWICE, no THREE times just to be sure:

-from Compose screen, do a normal text entry - then "Save now"
-click on "Drafts" .. it is there, but empty ???

This is with Firefox 2.0.0.16 WIn XP SP3 and my machine is clean and AOK otherwise (oh, maybe this could be it ... I was in the middle of reinstalling java )
The standard interface does work fine though

Let me know .. (meantime will retest when I have reinstalled java)
Edit: OK with Java reinstalled the problem persists
Please put it on the wiki page here:
http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php?ti...wInterfaceBugs
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Oct 2008, 07:10 AM   #300
Merovingian
Master of the @

I'm also getting a weird response. When I empty my junk folder, I used to (on the "classic" interface) get a response dialoge about "are you sure you want to delete these and train them as spam?", but now (on the new interface) it simply deletes them without any such response.

Is it training them as spam?
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote