EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 8 Apr 2007, 11:03 AM   #1
netrammgc

any email clients check grammar?

Hi! Long time guest reader, first time post! Thank you moderators for making this messageboard so great over the years! As for my question - Are there any mail clients (besides an infamous one that comes bundled with a major office suite) that will check grammar in addition to spelling? I would prefer an off-line but would consider a web-based client. Thanks and keep up the fantastic forum!

Last edited by netrammgc : 8 Apr 2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR
netrammgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Apr 2007, 01:49 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums!

According to Wikipedia, the answer is that there are no known email clients with grammer checking capabilities. Too bad ...

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 9 Apr 2007 at 02:39 AM. Reason: spelling error
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2007, 02:27 AM   #3
netrammgc

Hi Bill! Thanks for the welcome! That is too bad that there aren't any clients out there. Can anyone refute Wikipedia's claim?

The only other option I can seem to find is to use an add-on grammar checking tool that works well with mail clients. At about seventy dollars, a software package called Whitesmoke is the only solution as of yet. Does anyone know of any other options? I'd rather not go back to using the bundled major office suite program, by name I wish not to utter.

Again, great forum!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Welcome to the EMD Forums!

According to Widipedia, the answer is that there are no known email clients with grammer checking capabilities. Too bad ...

Bill

Last edited by netrammgc : 9 Apr 2007 at 02:38 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR
Old 9 Apr 2007, 02:38 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrammgc View Post
Does anyone have any other ideas?
If you buy this book you will no longer need a grammar checker

PS: You can read it in an hour and it costs less than ten dollars.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2007, 07:13 AM   #5
netrammgc

Hi Dave! Thanks for the suggestion! I will take a look at the book next time i'm at the bookstore. In the meantime, any other ideas? I know of a few programs (e.g. aol mail) that will check capitalization errors. Do any other standalone or webmail email clients do this, or any other simple grammatical fixes?

Cheers! Dave

Last edited by netrammgc : 9 Apr 2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR
Old 9 Apr 2007, 08:52 AM   #6
Luzo
Essential Contributor

My ISP offers grammar checking. It's Orange.fr, and there is also Orange.co.uk in English. I know they offer free mails at fsmail.net.

The new Yahoo! Mail Beta provides that function too. (when you compose a messagem, you can click on a button called "Check Spelling").

Also, if you don't web based checking, there is Mozilla Thunderbird which comes with an integrated Spell Checker. You just have to click "Spelling" when you finished composing a message.
Luzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2007, 09:31 AM   #7
netrammgc

Hi Luzo! Thanks for the post! I checked into two of the three ideas you posted. Logging into both Yahoo Beta as well as Orange.co.uk here in the States (an aspiring Canadian though ), it seems as though they just check spelling and not grammar. Both were'nt able to fix capitlization errors or grammatical scentence structure flaws. This is what I'm looking for. I didn't look at Thunderbird due to my slow connection and downloading time involved. Is Thunderbird any better grammatically?

P.S. I may "bite the bullet" and buy that monopolizing office suite but would like to find some other avenue since I'm a poor grad student. Any ideas?

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by netrammgc : 9 Apr 2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR
Old 9 Apr 2007, 11:40 PM   #8
cyberdiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrammgc View Post
I checked into two of the three ideas you posted. Logging into both Yahoo Beta as well as Orange.co.uk here in the States (an aspiring Canadian though ), it seems as though they just check spelling and not grammar. Both were'nt able to fix capitlization errors or grammatical scentence structure flaws.
I know nothing about this, but have you looked at http://www.grammaranywhere.com/?
It claims to work with many different applications, including Yahoo Mail, Outlook, and Outlook Express. It's not free, but it may do what you want for less than what it would cost to buy the unnamed office suite .
cyberdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 04:57 AM   #9
netrammgc

Hi Cyberdiva! Thanks as this is exactly what i was looking for! Downloading the 7-day trial, I now can't seem to get it to work; it keeps erroring out as soon as it installs. I may contact the support department. In my personal opinion, there would be quite a demand for a mail client with grammar checking integrated which would then be quite competitive to the big guy on campus. Any other ideas (that may be free?)?

Thanks again Cyberdiva! Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdiva View Post
I know nothing about this, but have you looked at [url="http://www.grammaranywhere.com/"] .
Old 10 Apr 2007, 05:53 AM   #10
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Leopard, the next major version of Mac OS X, should feature a system-wide grammar checking service much like Tiger currently features a system-wide spell checking service. Apps such as Mail, and Safari should pickup grammar checking on Leopard. For example, Safari users will be able to check their grammar as they type here on EMD.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 10:41 AM   #11
netrammgc

Hi btn,

Thanks for the info as i'm sure many people will be looking forward to that. It would make me think twice about macs if I was shopping for a computer system. I would imagine the system wide grammar checking would be similar to WhiteSmoke's application for Windows.

Well, it turns out my university gives a substantial discount to students/faculty on the monopolizing office suite putting it on par with the cost of WhiteSmoke or Grammar Checker. I'd like to say forget it, but it is a good deal. If I could find some freeware grammar checker somewhere that could be implemented into an email client - now that would be great! Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
...system-wide grammar checking service much like Tiger currently features a system-wide spell checking service.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 02:32 PM   #12
David
Ultimate Contributor

A search for grammar checkers (for email) led me to this client, which supposedly contains a grammar checker - although I don't see this mentioned up front.

You can download it for free if you want to check it out
Old 11 Apr 2007, 12:45 AM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Unhappy Review needs a grammar check

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
A search for grammar checkers (for email) led me to this client, which supposedly contains a grammar checker - although I don't see this mentioned up front.
That review badly needs to be run through a grammar checker! I got a headache just trying to understand what the reviewer meant. I don't see any references to grammar checking or sending email in the review.

Bill
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:17 AM   #14
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
That review badly needs to be run through a grammar checker! I got a headache just trying to understand what the reviewer meant. I don't see any references to grammar checking or sending email in the review.
Bill: When you attempt to download the client a small info box appears (prompting for your email address) containing the following text.

>>

Dear visitor!

We would like to offer you to share your experience of this program using. Please leave some comment with an estimation for this program (probably tomorrow). Before this day as we hope you could estimate how this program good or bad is.

We have contacts with all programs authors, so we will keep the CoSyDat eMail-Checker-TL 7.1 author informed about your opinion. As a matter of fact your opinion helps for the author to improve this program. So, your help for author is the help for another program users as well.

>>

I will add that giving out your email address is not mandatory; you are still able to download the client if you don't provide it.

The author and publisher of the program are German. It appears that the client is bilingual.

I am planning on checking this client out as it looks interesting.

I will let you know how I make out
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:36 AM   #15
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

My breath with bated is waiting, David. Mein Deutsche is nicht so gut. I would like to read your experience of this program using.

Bill