EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 Apr 2007, 10:43 AM   #1
lpn

want host webmail url to be subdomain

I checked several email providers, but couldn't find any that allows webmail access by going, for example, to mail.my-domain.com instead of www.some-email-provider.com. Is there such email provider?
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Apr 2007, 01:13 PM   #2
varaonaid

I'm not sure I fully understood your question so if I don't answer it exactly, please forgive me.

I think you're looking for a web based email that allows you to use your own domain name and check your email through it? If so, you can check out gmail's new service that allows you to use your own domain with their email service. Premier edition is free until the end of the month and the standard service will stay free.

http://www.google.com/a/?utm_medium=...campaign=gafyd

HTH's!
varaonaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 01:21 PM   #3
CyberSmurf

Well there's
... mail.aim.com
... mail.lycos.co.uk
... mail.piazzadellarte.be
... mail.yahoo.com

But I assume that you're asking for e-mail hosting ...
... Bring Own Domain webmail: Gmail or MSN?
... AOL Host Your Domain Mail: Press Release
... Windows Live Domains vs. Gmail for your domain
... Free email with personal domain.
... Gmail Hosting Domains?
... Easy Domain Registration for Apps (GMail)
... Which is better?
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 02:03 PM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

I think that lpn is looking for a service that allows you to login (to your webmail) at your own personal domain name address (as varaonaid already stated)

I also think (but am not 100% certain) that fastmail allows this, only if you have your nameservers pointing at them, and if they are hosting your domain name email.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I also think (but am not 100% certain) that fastmail allows this, only if you have your nameservers pointing at them, and if they are hosting your domain name email.
If you use Fastmail enhanced and let them host your domainnames you can use http://mail.yourdomain.tld
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 09:52 PM   #6
lpn

Sorry, I should've explained the problem better. I intend to use my domain (say, my-domain.tld) for email by pointing the mx records to an email provider (say email-provider.tld), while keeping the website with my current webhost. If I assign user@my-domain.tld to a user, where he/she should go to check their email? All they know is that their email address is at my-domain.tld and they expect to go to mail.my-domain.tld or something similar. They do not expect to go to www.email-provider.tld (they should not care who the email provider is and may not even remember where the email is hosted, it kind of defeats the purpose of using own domain). Having to go to www.email-provider.tld to check their mail at my-domain.tld will be confusing for many people.

Many webhosts (that of course, provide email for the hosted domains) point mail.my-domain.tld to their webmail interface, but they are not as reliable as the "pure" email providers. Reliability is the reason for looking to use separate email provider instead of my current webhost.

Of course, there are a couple of tricks that I can do: e.g. create webpage at webmail.my-domain.tld and redirect it to www.email-provider.tld. However, I still believe that from an user standpoint it is much easier and intuitive to go directly to mail.my-domain.tld.

My guess is that most email providers have the required feature for white-label, private-label customers or resellers, but it would be better if it exists for regular customers. The "premium" levels of service probably don't mention email-provider.tld on the webmail pages, but for me it would be just ok if the web interface at mail.my-domain.tld says something like "welcome to the webmail at my-domain.tld powered by email-provider.tld".

Quote:
Originally Posted by varaonaid View Post
I'm not sure I fully understood your question so if I don't answer it exactly, please forgive me.

I think you're looking for a web based email that allows you to use your own domain name and check your email through it? If so, you can check out gmail's new service that allows you to use your own domain with their email service. Premier edition is free until the end of the month and the standard service will stay free.

http://www.google.com/a/?utm_medium=...campaign=gafyd

HTH's!
Thanks, but I need IMAP and gmail doesn't seem to offer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
If you use Fastmail enhanced and let them host your domainnames you can use http://mail.yourdomain.tld
Thanks. The problem with fastmail is that they don't support multiple accounts on the same domain.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 11:10 PM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpn View Post
Thanks. The problem with fastmail is that they don't support multiple accounts on the same domain.
For what you are wanting to do, it does make sense to use the same provider that is hosting your website for email. Yes, you can work with redirects (for your domainname email) but your mailservice will never be totally seamless if it is not integrated.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 02:11 AM   #8
lpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
For what you are wanting to do, it does make sense to use the same provider that is hosting your website for email. Yes, you can work with redirects (for your domainname email) but your mailservice will never be totally seamless if it is not integrated.
By redirect I meant webpage redirecting, e.g. someone goes to http://webmail.my-domain.tld and the webpage redirect them to http://www.email-provider.tld (e.g. by using HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" and by displaying the usual "you will be redirected in ... seconds, if not redirected automatically, please click here"). The whole purpose is so that people don't have to remember, or care who is the email provider.

I didn't mean redirecting email from the webhost to the email provider. The email will never reach the webhost, it will be handled by the email provider, because the mx records will point to the email provider. I am yet to see any webhost that is reliable for email as much as some of the popular email-only providers discussed here.

Maybe there is a technical problem with my requirement, but I can't think of any.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 02:47 AM   #9
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
lpn, it sounds like the ideal solution for you is to setup a CNAME (e.g.) with your domain's DNS host and email service provider.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 05:00 AM   #10
lpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
lpn, it sounds like the ideal solution for you is to setup a CNAME (e.g.) with your domain's DNS host and email service provider.
Thanks for the hint. Looks like this is what my current webhost is doing, the CNAME record for mail.my-domain.tld points to mail-something.my-webhost.tld. Now I know how to describe this requirement in technical terms
Next step, deciding which email providers fit my budget, but that's a different story.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 05:08 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

As you shop around you will find that not all email companies will allow you to direct a CNAME record at them, and will give you a choice of either pointing your MX record at them (which is not what you want) or letting them host your nameservers.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 05:32 AM   #12
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpn View Post
They do, kinda, you just need to get multiple individual accounts, one of them needs to be Enhanced (to host the domain) which can then setup aliases for your domain to send the email to the other accounts. This email "redirecting" is all done internally, so once the email comes into FM's servers, it stays in there, essentially having multiple accounts on the same domain.

Or you could just go Tuffmail.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 07:45 AM   #13
lpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooon69 View Post
They do, kinda, you just need to get multiple individual accounts, one of them needs to be Enhanced (to host the domain) which can then setup aliases for your domain to send the email to the other accounts. This email "redirecting" is all done internally, so once the email comes into FM's servers, it stays in there, essentially having multiple accounts on the same domain.
Yes, I saw that on their website, but it may be too much of a hassle if I have more than 2-3 accounts.

Quote:
Or you could just go Tuffmail.
Thanks, will look at them.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 03:06 PM   #14
CyberSmurf

[moderator:] I've changed the title of this thread
from ... "specific requirement for web email"
to ... "want host webmail url to be subdomain"

I hope that is okay.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 08:51 PM   #15
lpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmurf View Post
[moderator:] I've changed the title of this thread
from ... "specific requirement for web email"
to ... "want host webmail url to be subdomain"

I hope that is okay.
Thanks, the new title describes my requirement better.