EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Mar 2002, 12:30 PM   #1
DBH

Mozilla

I checked out the Mozilla homepage....forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but one has to have programming skills to use this, correct?
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Mar 2002, 12:53 PM   #2
ken_roser

No, programming skills are not needed. Just download it from here if you want the windows version. Also, check out the release notes here.

When I installed it, it migrated over all my Communicator profiles. Only thing it didn't do was migrate the address book.

The only problem I've had thus far is the edit box on this forum used to enter a message is much narrower than it is with Explorer or Communicator.

[Fixed link 3/17/02]

Last edited by ken_roser : 18 Mar 2002 at 12:13 AM.
ken_roser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2002, 12:55 PM   #3
DBH

Thanks for the response! I don't have Netscape...is that required?
Old 17 Mar 2002, 01:04 PM   #4
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

No, Netscape is not required. In fact, Netscape *is* Mozilla, renamed and with advertising added! (kinda...)

To avoid the problem of the small compose box, add 'user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 4.0)");' to your user.js as described here: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...?threadid=2827
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2002, 01:05 PM   #5
karwoski

Nope, you don't need Netscape. Just download, install and you're good to go.

Hrmm... I'll have to start typing my replies quicker if I want to beat Jeremy to an answer.
karwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2002, 01:10 PM   #6
ken_roser

While we're getting hints on Mozilla usage, can anyone tell me how to eliminate the abbreviations of usenet group names. For example, alt.video.ptv.tivo displays as a.v.p.tivo in the group listing.
Old 17 Mar 2002, 01:17 PM   #7
DBH

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try!
Old 17 Mar 2002, 01:35 PM   #8
psalzer

can't help with usenet. Jeremy has a fix for the text area on this forum being so narrow, though. I haven't done it, but it's on one of the other threads on Mozilla right here.

BTW, it not only migrated my Netscape files, but also vice versa. I opened Netscape 6.2 for the first time since before downloading Mozilla on this machine and things I'd added to Mozilla's personal toolbar are now on Netscape's. It also removed the Netscape 6.2 icon on the desktop, but left the ones for 4.7 and NN3. Netscape 6.2 is still there in the programs menu, but Mozilla chased it right off the desktop.

I also enabled quick launch, which I usually don't do with programs because I don't want them loading into memory if I'm not using them, but since I usually have a browser going it seemed like it was worth a shot and it's very nice not to have that splash screen and it does start up faster this way.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2002, 03:22 PM   #9
ckjnigel

Netscape 6.2.1 -- raison d'etre

It is an invaluable harvester of plug-in *.dll's. Since I've been using every nightly Moz build since mid-August, I'll tell what I do.
I get the full big latest Netscape from the ftp site -- it'll be in a folder called sea. I install it, but never "activate" or open it. I remove all the AOL ads, desktop, start menu, even IE bookmarks. I then install the obvious plug-ins: Macromedia, Adobe, Apple, Real --that one sprays NPR*.dlls into a directory called components. The latest Java creates a *610.dll which can be copied from a Java bin to Moz plugins.
Then I install Mozilla. For official releases, I'll use a downloaded 10+ mb single file. I then use the free Win file manager program 2xExplorer to copy the dlls from the Netscape plugins (&components) folders to the corresponding Mozilla folders.
Once that's done, I have no further need of Netscape 6.2.1, so I uninstall it.
Netscape 6.5 is the next release, to be based on Moz 1.0.0 , and isn't likely to appear until June. That might be a week or so before Moz release 1.0.2.
ckjnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2002, 12:03 AM   #10
obwan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ken_roser
No, programming skills are not needed. Just download it from here if you want the windows version. Also, check out the release notes here.

When I installed it, it migrated over all my Communicator profiles. Only thing it didn't do was migrate the address book.

The only problem I've had thus far is the edit box on this forum used to enter a message is much narrower than it is with Explorer or Communicator.
I clicked on the posted "here" link to download but the link is dead. Can someone please point in the right direction for the download and installation. I've looked for days and can't find it on the mozilla site>
obwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2002, 12:14 AM   #11
ken_roser

The link to download the Window's mozilla is fixed.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 12:15 AM   #12
psalzer

I think I used this link. First it downloads a small exe which then gets the whole deal for you:

http://download.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...-installer.exe

I clicked it and it seems to be working. They have been very busy since this build was released, though.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 12:46 AM   #13
obwan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
I think I used this link. First it downloads a small exe which then gets the whole deal for you:

http://download.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...-installer.exe

I clicked it and it seems to be working. They have been very busy since this build was released, though.
Thanks psalzer, I downloaded it but now it can't seem to find the fastmail server. I used the same setting as I did on OE. I'm sure once it is up and running that it has to be better than OE or OEX!
obwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2002, 01:24 AM   #14
psalzer

I kind of muddled through the setting up part. I think it would be better for you if someone else answered that one. It's different than Outlook or OE and I like it better. I guess that's a matter of opinion. I still use the web more than anything else, and have fallen in love with Mozilla as a browser. I usually just do the mail thing with it to synch every so often.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 02:00 PM   #15
ckjnigel

Pinball theme

is available for download at www.xulplanet.com. It will work with milestone release 0.9.9 and no other build. In a few months, with the xul standard set, there will be dozens of themes. I hope this one gets updated to work with release 1.0.0+ !
ckjnigel is offline   Reply With Quote