EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 2 Mar 2005, 07:00 AM   #166
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
For all you Knoppix fans out there: There's a new kid on the block. It's called 'Ubuntu'....http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

--K
Have you managed to get the bootable CD to dial up? I tried and failed with mine. It doesn't even seem to talk to my (external parallel port) modem.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2005, 09:11 AM   #167
beeboy

Ubuntu's live cd worked ok for me but I was unable to get grub installed where I needed it so had to abandon the install version.
I spent a little time at the Ubuntu forum and they seem to have more than their fair share of bugs.
I found Kanotix and Mepis to be trouble free both as live cds and installs.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2005, 11:06 AM   #168
Starion
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Picasa.

Picasa version 2 is out now.

Edit: Nevermind, that is old news.

Last edited by Starion : 4 Mar 2005 at 06:35 AM.
Starion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 01:14 PM   #169
Starion
Essential Contributor

PovRay - Persistance of Vision Ray Tracer for 3D graphics.

I also use anim8or - www.anim8or.com and Blender 3D - www.blender.org to created models and scenes.

I crete 3D landscapes with Terra Gen 0.9
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

I'll post more links soon.
Starion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2005, 04:20 AM   #170
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Starion
PovRay - Persistance of Vision Ray Tracer for 3D graphics.
I'm surprised that PovRay hasn't already been mentioned on this thread (just elsewhere on this forum); incidentally, it helps if you actually give a link!
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2005, 12:16 PM   #171
beeboy

SyncNotes

I'm always testing note/reminder programs. I never seem to find one I like. This one is very unique.

When you make a new note a copy is saved on your computer and online in a private account. The program can synchronize your notes whenever you go online or at set times.

You can email notes to others. The program will send it to their syncnote account, therefore directly to their desktop at the time of sync. If they do not have syncnotes, the note is sent to their email address.

It does have limitations as to the amount of text per note. No other file formats are used.

This service is free. Their intentions are to keep it free. I'm not sure what the 'catch' is if any.

It seems to work quite well. Test emails were fast.

http://www.syncnotes.com
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2005, 06:57 PM   #172
trew

Ewido Anti trojan suite. Is it good?

Thansk for tip about Ewido Anti trojan suite. I am not good enough to judge such things myself. They talk about it on Wilders Security so most likely it is ok.

It works well togehter with AntiVir and Sygate Firewall. No compatibility problems.

I have not updated to WinXP SP2 yet so maybe trouble comes then.

trew
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2005, 01:52 AM   #173
leisuresuitlary

I clicked on one of the links on this website and found a 6 MB self extracting file containing all the free security releases from Norton.

Sadly I can not find my way back there. Any suggestions?

Larry
leisuresuitlary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2005, 04:19 AM   #174
registered_user

• Mozilla Firefox (but only when I encounter a page Safari can't handle which is almost never)
  • remind - Explanation of why
  • vim and gvim
  • iTerm
  • VoodooPad (free for non commercial)
  • Perl (it's technically an open source app when you think about it)
  • Ruby (see perl)
  • Quicksilver - if you own an OS X machine and don't have this, you're missing out on how all computers should work. Learn Why even Windows users should check this app out just so they can tell Windows developers what they should be making.
  • BitTorrent
  • Adium
  • ClamAV and OS X interface
  • SubEthaEdit (free for non commercial and another example of how apps should be made on all platforms)
  • Plucker
  • HandyShopper on the Palm
  • FileZ on the Palm
  • NetHack on every computer I own (my sad addiction)

There's got to be more. I never buy an application until after I've at least tried to find a free alternative so I'm sure there's tons more on here (I know I use a ton of freeware for little utility things like running system maintenance scripts at pre-determined intervals or printing PDFs in a booklet format (which is the same as printing to a booklet format from any program in OS X )). That's just the list of things I could think of off the top of my head, things I use a lot or are important for some reason (except FireFox which I really don't use much at all).

I'm not even thinking about all the server software I've used over the years like Apache and MySQL and whatnot. Honestly, I marvel at administrators who pay for server software and get inferior products most of the time (databases can be the exception to that rule, a good RDBMS is still worth a lot of money if you really need it (most people don't need it though and MySQL or PostGRESQL are fine)). For just about everything else you'd put on a server, the freeware options are superior to most purchased ones. Easier to admin (for an admin who understands what the server is doing, and every good admin should) too which just makes the continued use of MS software baffling to me.
registered_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2005, 07:40 AM   #175
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Thumbs up Enigma - A Game

Enigma - a game with just the right amount of mixture of brain teasing and mouse action (well... at least for those of us who prefer brain teasing games)

The goal is to Solve puzzles, usually by moving square stones, but to move the square stones you have to hit them with a marble, and be careful not to fall into water, hit what you better not hit, etc.

Among other puzzles, there are many levels of Sokoban embedded into this game, only there's a slight difference from Sokoban, in that you have to be careful not to accidentaly move a stone you didn't mean to move when your marble bounces from the stone you are trying to move.

It's a real gem, and it's GPL'ed!

From the website (http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/):
Quote:
Enigma is a puzzle game inspired by Oxyd on the Atari ST and Rock'n'Roll on the Amiga. The object of the game is to find uncover pairs of identically colored Oxyd stones. Simple? Yes. Easy? Certainly not! Hidden traps, vast mazes, laser beams, and, most of all, countless hairy puzzles usually block your direct way to the Oxyd stones...
BTW it comes preinstalled with Knoppix, and that's the way I found it.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2005, 04:16 AM   #176
DianeB

I've been so busy lately, I've not had a chance to participate in the forums like I once did & I surely miss it!

I finally got my new PC in Feb., & I'm just now getting around to coming back here to see/view all the freebie links. I've clicked on (& bookmarked) all that I thought might be of interest to me.

It seems I haven't been getting notified when there is reply made here, but there again, I don't even get emails from FM even though I have my settings on 'Chatty'.

At anyrate, I'm off to enjoy a lazy day sorting through all these freebie links. I had downloaded one HTML note pad on my old PC & it kept freezing or changing or something.
So I mainly came here to see if I can locate that, as I truly liked it & maybe with new PC it'll work better for me.

Cheers!

~Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2005, 10:20 PM   #177
Gankaku

Diane, I think this thread is one of the most useful threads here. I don't know how many times I've come back to it searching for something.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2005, 01:15 AM   #178
DianeB

Waaaaaaaaaaa!!

I've searched & searched & can't find the *main* link I wanted. It was like a note pad, but you could write in HTML & it had tabbed interface. Anyone with any idea's (even remotely) which link or freebie it 'might' be?

~Diane
BTW--by writing in HTML, I mean you could change the color/font at will. Or at least the color. I've found tons that show the actual HTML tag lines, but I don't want/need that. Just one where I can change the font color mainly.
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2005, 02:14 AM   #179
Gankaku

Was it a site? Or a software? I know this is a freeware forum but there are some sites too...
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2005, 05:23 AM   #180
maskull

Keynote

Quote:
Originally posted by DianeB
... change the color/font at will ...
Keynote does this. Not light weight, but certainly full featured. Acts more like a text editor than a notepad replacement.

http://keynote.prv.pl
maskull is offline   Reply With Quote