EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Dec 2020, 05:03 AM   #1
cb500

Text Size for web page

Re: Fastmail web site on a desktop PC running up to date Win 10.

Using Chrome, under "Settings" the first screen is "General". I try and set the text size to "XL". When logging back in later I notice the text size is back to "standard".

Using Firefox, the only text size options are "standard" and "large". Using Chrome the text size options are "small, standard, large, XL, XXL, XXXL".

Is there a way to "save" the text size setting in the "General" screen under "Settings"? using either browser?
cb500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Dec 2020, 12:00 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow After clearing cookies in browser, text size is properly remembered

My tests show different results. First I recommend clearing all Fastmail cookies in your browser. I had trouble getting Firefox to remember the text size until I cleared cookies. I then found that Firefox, Edge, and Chrome browsers all remembered my text size choices.

Can you check your results against mine after clearing cookies in your browsr? And can other Fastmail users perform this test? After making Text Size changes in Settings>Customize>Preferences>General, I log out of Fastmail completely (in all tabs), then log back in and check Text Size to see if it's set as before or has reset.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 29 Dec 2020 at 01:17 PM. Reason: New results after clearing cookies
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2020, 07:17 PM   #3
cb500

Bill, I use Firefox in permanent private browsing mode so it never saves cookies or other cached files. I routinely manually clear all browsing data in Chrome, which includes all cookies. And I still keep having the text size in the FM web interface switch back to small, afyer setting it to "large" in Firefox and "XL" in Chrome. Must be related to something with my PC. Curious why there would be different text size options in each browser when using the same FM interface.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 12:55 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Fastmail (and nearly all web-based services) requires that cookies are enabled during a session. After viewing the cookies stored on my PC, here is what I believe is happening:
  • If you allow persistent cookies to be saved for Fastmail, then if you close all Fastmail windows in your browser and then later go to www.fastmail.com, the unique settings you last saved for that browser on that particular PC are used for the text size choice (only) in Settings>Customize>Preferences>General. If you log in on a different PC, it can have different saved settings for those items.
  • If you clear your persistent cookies between Fastmail sessions, then Fastmail uses the default settings for the text size (only) when you start a new session.
  • The text size cookie allows you to use a different text size on different PC's to accommodate differing display sizes. As far as I can tell, this is the only setting which is saved locally (in a cookie) as opposed to the other (globally saved) settings.
Bill
Old 30 Dec 2020, 05:42 AM   #5
cb500

Copy Bill, I understand what you're saying and it makes sense. This is new behavior for Fastmail (at least for me) ever since I've been using it (i.e., started in 2002). In fact, I have just noticed it in the past couple of weeks. I have always had a habit of clearing all browser history, cache, cookies, and other files routinely. Are you suggesting that the text size has always been controlled via a cookie? If that is the case then I have no idea why I would just now be noticing this. But if they made a change to implement a "text size" cookie, then my experience would be consistent with that. Many thanks for looking into it.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 07:59 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have no idea if this behavior was recently changed. I never change the default size and had no idea that there were so many choices when using Chrome. It's quite possible that this is a new feature, and I can see that it would be good for some users and bad for others.

Bill
Old 31 Dec 2020, 01:16 AM   #7
cb500

I have usually left the text size alone, so now that I think about it, it is possible this particular functionality (text size determined by cookie) has been in there awhile. I have found sizes larger than "standard" to be better (something to do with age, I suspect!). It is curious to me that when running FM in Firefox there are just 2 text size options, while in Chrome there are 5 (and I always run the latest update of each browser, within the latest version of Win 10). And, I am one who probably benefits from having text size as a globally saved parameter, rather than dependent on individual cookies within each brower. But, as you said, I can go in and set each browser to keep the FM cookie.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 01:37 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

To cb500:
You sent me a private message here at EMD, but you have PM’s blocked at your end and so I can’t respond. Either unblock PM’s or send me your email address in another PM and I will respond. You can change the PM blocking in the upper menu at: User CP > Edit options.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 31 Dec 2020 at 01:43 AM.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 11:35 PM   #9
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

While on Text size I cannot find text size adjustment on my Fastmail compose page . therei is or once was a place to adjust Medium and Large and maybe small
there is a place on the compose page but it don't change size. Thanks for any help.

disregard this Post I found problem. It was the Browser. Since changing Browsers now i can set font size
. on compose page

Last edited by sheprd : 24 Jan 2021 at 11:25 AM.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote